Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Style: freeride, surf, slicks, dwindr exploring
Gear: SS RPM 6, SST 8/10 and Rally 12
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Which Flow snowboard bindings you like for kite

Postby CaptainArgh » Mon Oct 19, 2009 4:09 pm

I'm not a regular snowkiter, but have tried several different bindings (Flow, K2 Clickers, Burton straps) and found that it is nice to remove the high backs for kiting. Makes it easier to adjust your body position with gusty wind while still keeping the pressure on the edge that you want.

How do you get around this with Flows which seem to require the high back by design?

Anyway, I've gone to just regular straps as well (w/o the high backs) and think they're fine.

But, I guess this is really just a thread on Flows since you're getting them comp'd for your snowkite season. I'd get whichever one has the lowest highback.

Craz Z
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Craz Z » Mon Oct 19, 2009 4:55 pm

How do you get around this with Flows which seem to require the high back by design?
Buy the NXT's after a season the backs as shitty plastic as they are will bust right off given you a low back binding :rollgrin:

The high end Flows have two serious design flaws. 1 the backs snap from pressure getting your boot in. 2. The hardware sucks they use a screw to a plastic tab. Ever heard of Nyloc's Flow?

Other then that you can't beat the flows. Clickers are out of production. (plus they ball up in warmer snow) The cinch is well double the cost of flows.
Yeah any binding will work but in lighter wind conditions it sure is nice to put one foot in and the other to put pressure on you kite. Once you start moving you just throw your other foot in and throw the back in postion. DONE.
regular bindings just aren't as nice. Getting your settings down does take more time then a simple ratchet system.
you normally have two ratchets per binding. Flows have 4 ratchets per binding. Nice thing tho once you find the right setting. you lock it in and it stays. As long as those pesky screws don't fall out when your edging for that big jump.

olsen
Medium Poster

Postby olsen » Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:17 pm

Not to get offtopic but did you ever check www.sp-united.com ?
Seems like they got the solution!

CaptainArgh
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Style: freeride, surf, slicks, dwindr exploring
Gear: SS RPM 6, SST 8/10 and Rally 12

Postby CaptainArgh » Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:50 pm

olsen wrote:Not to get offtopic but did you ever check www.sp-united.com ?
Seems like they got the solution!
Thanks for sharing that.
Looks like the K2 cinch binding. Same concept anyway.

OzoneRocker
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: Lake Mac, Nebraska, Skyline, Rollins Pass, Lake Granby
Favorite Beaches: Lake McConaughy, Nebraska
Style: SnowKiter
Gear: OZONES
Brand Affiliation: OZONES

Postby OzoneRocker » Tue Oct 20, 2009 5:41 pm

Also had flows for a season, I broke that shit right away. The bindings feel great, like little slippers on your feet! But way to heavy! Also had problems with cheap plastic parts and a cheap ass revit that the high back swung up on. Revit broke and had to put a new pin back there.

I hope they improved the bindings now, but back about 4 years ago I was not impressed.

I agree with MOtz, you shouldn't have a problem putting on a regular strap bindings with a foil!

The Jess-Man
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby The Jess-Man » Sat Oct 31, 2009 12:32 am

Low backs or No backs are the way to go.

No backs and soft boots give you the feeling of riding on water when flying across the frozen stuff.

I think these Rockered snowboards that Burton has been developing the last few years are also going to make a huge difference. P- Rocker sounds perfect for snowkiting. Just the way the rockers shaped will probably give a more of an on the water pop off the snow.

It's about time.

Here's a thread I started a few years ago about backless bindings. It's old but completely relevant. Any one that has tried "No Backs" never goes back to "High Backs" for kiting.

Looking for Bindings - DON'T GET FLOWS

Return to “Snow / Land”