Forum for snow- and landkiters
Helge
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Massive Kite Loop on Snow

Postby Helge » Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:29 pm

check out this kiteloop by Andreas Toverud in the recent Norwegian snowkite competition...
24680_401524590258_564705258_5481001_8090182_n.jpg
video from the event on kiteforum.TV : http://www.kiteforum.tv/video/Norwegian ... _2010.html

[kiteforumtv]http://www.kiteforum.tv/video/Norwegian ... _2010.html[/kiteforumtv]

BigwindLeo
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Skyline, Utah for snow

Deer Creek, Utah Lake, Mui Ne (Vietnam), Dewey Beach, Delaware for water
Favorite Beaches: Strawberry Reservoir in Utah, where I started on snow. Dewey Beach in Delaware is where I started on water. Mui Ne Beach in Vietnam gets my vote for destination kiting.
Style: Free ride, big air.
Gear: Adi Kites
Brand Affiliation: Adi Kites

Re: Massive Kite Loop on Snow

Postby BigwindLeo » Fri Mar 19, 2010 6:35 am

Kite loop on snow to generate high jump is kind of pointless (and dangerous). Why not glide up the mountains and then flow down? My favorite has been going up the hills and then track down at mad speed! Unless, of course, if you have to snow kite on flat surface. :wink:

knewschool
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Big Sandy, Palisades, Mud Lake, Jackson Lake...
Favorite Beaches: Waddell Creek, Sherman Island

Snow kite spots are growing fastly and epicly.
Style: Wake, Big loops, Glides
Gear: Ozone kites, Xenon boards, Velocity Twisted, B3 Split Boards
Brand Affiliation: Ozone, Xenon, B3, Twisted

Postby knewschool » Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:10 pm

You shouldn't be so down on the Mega Loop, diferent strokes for different folks you know? I love the big loops. Love. All you have to do is make sure you're extra powered and loop tight and early so you swing under your kite and land like butter. However, in that picture I'm going to say he lands flat. It's hard to believe that kite will make it back over his head before he touches down, but when you're higher off the ground than your kite you get extra credit from me for sure!

kitehok
Medium Poster
Local Beach: TO

Postby kitehok » Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:41 pm

Kite loop on snow to generate high jump is kind of pointless (and dangerous).
He's not using a kiteloop to generate height. The photo was taken during a competition, this is what I expect to see. Riders taking risk and pushing the sport.

BigwindLeo
Rare Poster

Favorite Beaches: Strawberry Reservoir in Utah, where I started on snow. Dewey Beach in Delaware is where I started on water. Mui Ne Beach in Vietnam gets my vote for destination kiting.

Postby BigwindLeo » Fri Mar 19, 2010 5:41 pm

kitehok wrote:Riders taking risk and pushing the sport.
With the modern kites, kite looping while in the air is not difficult. I saw Best rider Jake doing countless times even in light wind. Not sure if it is pushing the limit or just taking advantage of new kite designs.

Now, imagine someone with an older model kite that will not be as forgiving when a loop goes wrong, saw this video and decided to do it on packed icy condition. . .

I'll take gliding off the hills instead.

BobandLaurel
Rare Poster

Postby BobandLaurel » Sat Mar 20, 2010 2:44 am

With the modern kites, kite looping while in the air is not difficult
Yeah whatever. Looping the kite overhead while your gliding is one thing (not difficult for some-scary as hell and dangerous for others) but a powered up kiteloop is something else.

I watched knewschool sending insanely big, powered megaloops while screaming down some steep hills last weekend. Usually he finished them by swinging back under the kite and sometimes he even transitioned into a nice glide. I've never seen anything like it. The height, the snap, and the incredible power he generated was awe inspiring. To say the least. I don't think it had much to do with the "moderness" of his kites. He could do the same thing with an old Fuel.

Nothing difficult about it. Just get going about 30 mph down a 30 degree slope lit on a 13 and and freakin' send it.
Not sure if it is pushing the limit or just taking advantage of new kite designs
Jake is pushing the limits. Saying he's just taking advantage of "new kite designs" is belittling what he's doing out there. Put him on ten year old kite designs and he'd bury the lot of us.

frankm1960
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: -Bayshore, at the end sea st. on saint John's west side, bay of fundy.
-Saints rest beach, at the end of sandy point road, irving nature park, saint john, west side.
Gear: Kites: 12m LF Mig, 9m LF Mig, 5m SS Fuel
Boards: LF proof 151cm, Real Wind 144cm, home made light wind board 160 x 50

Postby frankm1960 » Sat Mar 20, 2010 3:31 am

Damn, can't see the video, is there another link somewhere, utube link maybe?

Nothing wrong with a kiteloop on snow if you can pull it off all the more power to ya :thumb:

Keep those videos coming :)

yomotha
Frequent Poster
Style: Whatever I feel like for the day
Gear: Core, Lift

Postby yomotha » Sat Mar 20, 2010 6:34 am

I've had crashes in snow that hurt a lot less than crashes in water... snow can be way softer than water if it's fresh or deep enough.

BigwindLeo
Rare Poster

Postby BigwindLeo » Sat Mar 20, 2010 7:21 am

BobandLaurel wrote:I've never seen anything like it. The height, the snap, and the incredible power he generated was awe inspiring.
Seems to me just an incredibly stupid thing to do. Have you seen a leader line snap in the most unusual place? When you push your limit like this, you are also pushing your luck with your equipments.
BobandLaurel wrote: Nothing difficult about it. Just get going about 30 mph down a 30 degree slope lit on a 13 and and freakin' send it.
I hope majority of the reads are not stupid enough to actually try this. 30 mph wind on a 13 and doing a kiteloop? Please stay out of our kite spots in Utah. We don't want the death of some stupid people to ruin our access.

BobandLaurel wrote: Jake is pushing the limits. Saying he's just taking advantage of "new kite designs" is belittling what he's doing out there. Put him on ten year old kite designs and he'd bury the lot of us.
Have you actually seen him do this near the parking lot at Skyline or you just saying it because it makes you look cool? I know Jake is pushing the limit and breaking new paths. I know him. He is a pro rider. He can probably do a lot of stuff while he sleeps. I am saying that doing a kiteloop while you're in the air is no longer that difficult due the modern kite design. Of course he could do it with an old kite. Of course he can do a lot of stuff we can't do. But I doubt he'd do these stuff in a stupid way.

I like to go fast. I like to get over powered. But I also like to go home at the end of the day with big smile on my face and not being carry out by an ambulance. Do whatever you want to do. Mother Nature has her way of sorting out who gets to live.

BigwindLeo
Rare Poster

Postby BigwindLeo » Sat Mar 20, 2010 7:32 am

yomotha wrote:I've had crashes in snow that hurt a lot less than crashes in water... snow can be way softer than water if it's fresh or deep enough.
Yes, crashing in snow actually is not going to be as bad as crashing on water if there is enough deep powder. The question is if you know what's under all that powder. It could be a sage brush or a rock. When you are floating in smooth wind, there is no major issues. You can pick your landing spots. If there is a gust coming through and you are doing a kite loop while you're in the air, guess who picks the landing spot for you? Not you. Kiters in my area frequently get air borne 50+ feet above the snow. If you're not landing on a slope to reduce the force of the impact, something is going to break when you fall from that height, even in deep powder condition.

It is a fun sport. But play it safe.

Peace out.

Return to “Snow / Land”