Favorite Beaches: Wiamak mouth
Style: wakestyle, Surf
Gear: 02 SS 120 Fuel, 6"4 strapless, 140 UG
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

differences between foils and lei in backcountry snowkiting

Postby christophnz » Tue Jun 01, 2010 12:31 pm

Is it worth geting a foil for backcountry kiting? thinking something from ozone or flysufer/peter lyn. I have 9m rev 08 and 12m havoc 08 but can see problems with packing down the kite and carry a pump everwhere. I think i be using kite to get up and freeriding down when possible. any advice? pros and cons and any general snowkiting help

Craz Z
Frequent Poster

Re: deffrences between foils and lei in backcountry snowkiti

Postby Craz Z » Tue Jun 01, 2010 6:18 pm

Sorry dude, Your asking a question that will never be answered properly.

Fact is either kite would be fine in the backcountry and Neither kite is immune to failure in serious conditions.

Also I think you answered your own question if your sole intent is to ride up the hill as a chairlift and freeride down the answer is simple FOIL.

Any other type of riding, either kite is fine and if you are in the backcountry the pump will not add much to the other many many items you should have for survival.

No one can make the decision but you the pilot. Find a friend with a foil and compare yourself and make your own decision based on what works for you as a pilot.

There is NO right or wrong answer only opinions based on personal experiences.

christophnz
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Wiamak mouth

Postby christophnz » Wed Jun 02, 2010 5:05 am

Thanks i guess i just need to get out and try my inflatables. Also i see in videos most of the foils have a strap between the two back lines to help loop the kite faster. can i mod my LEI's like this or do the loop tight enough as it is.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Wed Jun 02, 2010 5:46 am

Christop in NZ is it? I'm ex-Chch myself ... where will you be riding?

The strap between the outside lines (actually brake lines on open cell foils) is a brake line for self-landing or holding it on the ground for launching.

christophnz
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Wiamak mouth

Postby christophnz » Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:31 am

Kamikuza wrote:Christop in NZ is it? I'm ex-Chch myself ... where will you be riding?

The strap between the outside lines (actually brake lines on open cell foils) is a brake line for self-landing or holding it on the ground for launching.
Havnt been and unsure really where is best but snowfarm to get use to it first. Temple basin seems like it will work

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Kamikuza » Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:03 am

christophnz wrote:
Kamikuza wrote:Christop in NZ is it? I'm ex-Chch myself ... where will you be riding?

Havnt been and unsure really where is best but snowfarm to get use to it first. Temple basin seems like it will work
Snowfarm is down south, isn't it? I got a DVD from Tim at Kitesports in Chch and that place looks swee-eeeeeeet!

I'd go for an open celled foil with depower but that's just me ...

Craz Z
Frequent Poster

Postby Craz Z » Wed Jun 02, 2010 5:28 pm

christophnz Yes the line that goes on the back lines is a brake line like Kamikuza Said.

Technically yes you could do this to an inflatable, but with the newer kites its not really necessary The inflatables rely more on the front lines for depower and with the integrity of the structure created by the struts it could be difficult to bring it down and or hold it down.
The foil will actually stall and kinda half fold at the bottom bringing it down.

Now the other thing many may know or not know is that the newer designs of kites wether it be delta flat, or bow is that it can be relaunched the same as the foil you grab the two back lines evenly back the kite in the sky and let go of one line flipping the kite Leading edge up same as a foil. I know your havoc will do it i've tried it. This method doesn't work that well on water tho.

The only real difference i've noticed between the two kites are:

Foils sit straight in front of you when on safety or holding the brake
LEI sit 90 degrees left or right of you when on safety or resting leading edge sideways just chilling
Both kites would need some kinda fixed object to stake too if you leave them unattended

Higher winds they both have some pull on safety regardless of 100% depower claims. The only true 100% depower in my opinion is 5th line which has its own set of idiocyncrocies

Other then that its preference as has been argued a million times before.

The way i see it snowkiters that start and still ride foils don't understand LEI's or don't have proper training in all there mechanisms.
Waterkiters/snowkiters that start and still ride LEI's don't understand foils or don't have proper training in all there mechanisms.

Both kites are equal both have pretty even pro's and con's If you end up flying both and really understand how each work seperately you can then make a decision on which kite suits YOUR needs nobody else just you.

seanflex
Medium Poster
Style: free
Gear: flysurfer outlaw 10m, ozone acces

Postby seanflex » Tue Jun 22, 2010 3:41 am

lei = water
foil= snow
simple equation
for back country use, dont get me wrong you will get beter performance out of the lei in a snow park or your local spot.
this topic was covered and will never be answered with a simple answer,
sunny side up or down?? :-?

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Kamikuza » Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:43 am

How about those of us who ride both, Craz? :naughty:

Craz Z
Frequent Poster

Postby Craz Z » Wed Jun 23, 2010 5:58 pm

lei = water
foil= snow
We've all been told this many times. Fact is it isn't true
LEI's and foils are on the water these days and for the good riders has been this way for 10 years. Only until last few years are the foils getting back off the water after a crash before you'd watch it sink away.
Any kite will work in any situation. Once again preference is the key factor.
Kamikuza wrote:How about those of us who ride both, Craz? :naughty:
Well I guess you can call yourself a true kiter that is willing to be open minded and try anything. Flying both kites is equally fun let me ask you this have you ever reversed your riding like above mentioned kinda, what i mean ever take a foil on the water or lei to the snow?

Now the real question is can you fly both kites in all aspects of kiting? Very few practice all the disciplines of the sport. I mean buggy, static, landboard, surfboard, twintip, snowboard, ski's,skimboard,skateboard
Many practice one or two very few practice all or all in one day. (not an easy accomplishment)

in the end it doesn't matter what or where you fly, but that you are happy and enjoying the sport. getting your info first hand vs. reading what others like is key to success in kiteboarding.
Try before you buy.

Return to “Snow / Land”