Forum for snow- and landkiters
burton08
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

What length of lines are suitable for a Naish Aero 14m

Postby burton08 » Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:18 pm

I picked up a 2002 Aero with no lines or bar. Does anyone what size is good for this kite. I mainly want to use it on land and snow.

I was thinking 30m at 500lb strength.

This is also my first C kite and I don't know where the lines go. Should the center lines on the bar be on the leading or trailing edge.

Thanks
Burton

danie178
Medium Poster

Re: What length of lines are suitable for a Naish Aero 14m

Postby danie178 » Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:45 pm

IF its your first C kite then be very careful very careful. Have you flown other kites before, if so what and for how long?

THESE KITES HAVE NO DEPOWER TO SPEAK OF AND CAN LIFT YOU OFF THE GROUND VERY EASILY!!

stay with 24meter lines as standard if you are a beginner get some 10meter lines for a while first.

be safe!!!

burton08
Rare Poster

Postby burton08 » Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:13 pm

I have flown many times just never had one like this so I don't know how to set it up. I flew it with a homemade setup and it flew but performed bad and kept on crashing.

Craz Z
Frequent Poster

Postby Craz Z » Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:49 pm

Sorry burton but it sounds like you're gonna get alot of heat over what you are trying to accomplish.

I guess we should start off with the disclaimer/you've been warned talk.

Sounds like you really need a lesson if you don't know how to hook up you problably shouldn't be attempting too.
Number 2. you are starting off with a old kite with zero safety nets built in. Injuries and possible death is what in store with these older kites.
Number 3. a C kite is not a beginer friendly learning type of kite. These kites were designed to boost and boost high very high. very limited depower oh and NO SAFETY at all.

ok now that thats outta the way we can give you advice as you will assume all the risk and no one will be liable for you not knowing what ta do.

Sorry if it sounds harsh but its the way it is. please don't endanger a public beach, don't fly near powerlines and try to stay outta the news.

Without seeing a picture of the kite I can't tell you if its a 4 line or a 5thline kite.
Most if not all kites other then trainers use 4 lines. The 5th line was added for safety and for relaunch in 2002 i don't think any kite had 5 lines.
However please look the the dead center of the leading edge or the inflatable edge is there a pigtail or a line coming off it? If there is you've got a 5thline ready kite. IF not you have a 4 line death kite.

attaching a 4 or a 5th is the same with the exception of the 5th going to the center of the leading edge. the center lines or the lines in the middle of the bar you will use go to the pigtails that are on the leading edge side of the hookup. the outer lines on the bar are your steering lines and they go to the rear of the kite or the trailing edge opposite of the inflatable tube.

I would reccomend buying a newer or used bar that is more recent that you can get out of quickly. (which at current pricing for a bar you could easily upgrade to a safer kite complete with bar) they retail close to 300-500 dollars. the lines should be a match set and shorter lines or 10m lines sound like a great option if you are learning it won't be as easy for the kite to get away from you or take you up in the air.

typically on a 14m kite you'd want long lines or 25m and above. the kites get big past 14m and 16m so you need enough room to turn them around thus the longer lines plus wind is exponetial in regards to height the longer the lines the more power of the wind you will grab with the kite. Once you get lots of flying under your belt and pick a style that suits you. then you will understand playing with different lengths.

Still don't know what bar you are gonna use but if you have one prokitesurf or kiteboard.com has a dept. for making you custom lines at a fair and cheaper then factory lines price.

If you know what your doing and feel confident in your skills i'd go for the 25m or 30m lines if you don't which honestly the brief description you gave sounds like you don't know how to fly then try 10m-15m lines ultimately you'll progress to the longer lines.

Once again sorry if it sounds like being a jerk everyone just wants everyone to be safe and not hurt them selves or anyone else many have already gone down this road with the early kites pre-2005 and the kites have evovled around safety systems and user friendly controls to prevent accidents that should have never happened.

Be safe save up and get a newer kite.

burton08
Rare Poster

Postby burton08 » Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:23 am

>the center lines or the lines in the middle of the bar you will use go to the pigtails that are on the >leading edge side of the hookup. the outer lines on the bar are your steering lines and they go to the >rear of the kite or the trailing edge opposite of the inflatable tube.

This is what I wanted to know. I tried both ways and it was poor but one way was a little better.

I'm using a flexifoil bar from a bow kite and the wrong type of lines, my setup is homemade and that is why I asked about line length . I think I will go with the 30m and then when I get that I will choose a bar.

I know about the disclaimers on these sports. I've been rock climbing and doing other crazy things for years and I know what to expect when you ask someone how to tie a knot.

Thanks

burton08
Rare Poster

Postby burton08 » Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:24 am

oh BTW its a 5 line. there are 2 pigtails in the middle but I've been using it as a 4

Craz Z
Frequent Poster

Postby Craz Z » Thu Sep 16, 2010 4:54 am

Sorry burton you never know when people ask the basics what level they are at a lot of people see kiting in the wild or on tv and turn to ebay for a cheap kite then wonder how to hookup and then end up in the hospital I apologize for the judgement.

Some of the kites are weird. Especially in the early days before standards were set down. Sounds like you got a early model kite that if modified correctly with new parts could be a sweet ride.

Do hook up the fifth line it is the absolute best safety system of any kite

Sounds possible that if the pig tails are equally spaced you could put a small bridle into a fifth line take some pics and some dims and send yor specs to prokitesurf

Have fun stay safe

snobdr
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Dewey, Atlantic City

Postby snobdr » Thu Sep 23, 2010 5:53 pm

If you are using the kite on land you will most definately need a 5 line setup. Relaunching 4 line c kite on land/snow is nearly impossible. Like was said earlier 5th line is a great safety. The old four liners did have a savety but would flag to one line sending the kite spinning and usually taking you for a ride.

I would suggest a north 5th element bar. Solid bar great safety system, can be picked up on ebay usually comes with 27M lines.

From the sounds of it you havent flown anything big. Probably only a 2 line trainer. or 4 line on handles. 14M is big and powerful and can pick you up and slam you before you know what happened. You should find someone in your area that is into kiting to help you at first and show you the ropes, or make sure you insurance policy is paid up.

Return to “Snow / Land”