Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Lets start some controversy... he he he

Forum for snow- and landkiters
Windzup
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Skyline and Strawbs
Favorite Beaches: Any Mountain with snow and wind.
Style: funky
Gear: my favorite kite
Brand Affiliation: NONE, Be yourself and fly what you like... I do like Ozone People tho!
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Lets start some controversy... he he he

Postby Windzup » Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:47 pm

Ok, this is gonna open me up for some slander... so sling it.
What the F%$K is the ASA? "American Snowkite Association"
And do we need a national organization for Snowkiting? Or should we all just watch the weather and chase snow and powder like we always do?

I skipped out on the AWSI meeting (Kitesurfings Industry Association) Primarily due to the fact that Ozone does not follow industry standards, and our 2011 product is coming in Oct/Nov not September like the companies that attended. As well, the weather was bad. Instead I spent the last couple weekends soaking up the amazing winds and warm weather at Lake Mojave. So I have been out of the loop so to speak, focusing on kiting, not industry BS.

I come back and I get a bunch of calls regarding the ASA and the newly formed National Snowkite Tour. Funny thing is, nobody ever asked if we wanted our event to be a part of the tour. The other funny thing is the tour has been running already for a few years on a grass roots level. Now at the AWSI, several dedicated Snowkiters along with several egos came together and formed a new independent tour, that is based on the half dozen snowkite events that are independently organized and operated by local kite shops.

I am just confused I suppose. Do we need a Snowkite Association? Who will be members, who will run it? What will the costs be and why should anyone pay or support it? The AWSI was formed to support the industry of Kitesurf and Windsurf. Not sure where a Snowkite organization will fit in and if it is even needed. It seems that all the brands invested in supporting Snowkiting are already working hard together to grow the sport.

As far as the tour goes, it is already happening as every event organizer typically works together to create symbiotic dates and plans. I think a Unified tour is a great idea (I have tried to launch it myself the past few seasons) but it will take time to come together. The rules are already in place, although open to modification, so there is some good from group feedback on that subject. I just find it funny that this is all happening without the feedback from event organizers that put their hard earned time, energy and money into these events already.

OK, SPAM ME. I hope someone can help me see the sense in this... because its seems wierd to me that folks are trying organize something that is already organized. Or maybe I'm just seeing the greed and ego that is at the bottom of this new uprise in our PURE SPORT of SNOWKITING.

I dont believe we need an association. And there is already an established race tour working towards a unified series. BTW- this will be the 5th year of the US Open Snowkite Masters with National Championship Title.

Windzup,
Brian Schenck
435-462-5303
info@windzup.com

www.FlyOzoneUSA.com

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Re: Lets start some controversy... he he he

Postby Toby » Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:58 pm

I think with associations you can channel more power and be stronger if someone comes with bans etc. Also for insurances it should help.

Let's ask them about their goals and financing. And event organizers should also be members.
I don't see it negative if more events get into a tour, that is more value for each tour stop.
But of course you don't have to join with your event...so why bother if you do your thing?

rudeboysaude
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: Peter Lynn

Postby rudeboysaude » Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:15 pm

I've talked about it breifly with some others.. The first thing I thought of was.. Who the hell can afford to go to every "points" event to compete all winter long? No one I know. It's true that snowkiting events don't really have organized freestyle comps anymore. Focusing mainly on races because they're easy for everyone to participate in. Freestyle has always had a greater marketing focus. Watching races, pictures and videos of races isn't as exciting as freestyle. And that's what draws people to the sport... I guess. I'm not a freestyler, but that's what companies want for team riders and such. I think this is a system just like all the other sports in the world where people feel a need to compete and someone should be able to say they are the best at it. Why do we have snowboarding/skiing comps, etc. People must feel some need but mostly for sales/marketing/media I'm sure.

I'm sure I'm not their target market. I kite for me and am not interested in any sort of competetion or prizes. But there are those who are. So they need a club. I think it's just a group of people with a different vision of the sport and they want a unified points system at lots of events to crown a king.

Windzup
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Skyline and Strawbs
Favorite Beaches: Any Mountain with snow and wind.
Style: funky
Gear: my favorite kite
Brand Affiliation: NONE, Be yourself and fly what you like... I do like Ozone People tho!

Postby Windzup » Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:22 pm

Long Live the King!

PSSS.... Chasta IS.... Chasta Has Been..... & Chasta always will be the King. At least the one I would take an arrow for.

And that King stopped going to comps several years back..... and he started the Snowkite Masters as a non-comp freeride event. Of course, the SKM organizers worldwide support what the people want, which is comps. In the US we have stuck to racing as it is easier, simpler, adopted by Olympic sailing committees and judging is fair. Once you judge freestyle, your style is no longer free. But if you want to ride with the King, you will not need a crown, just a good backcountry gear set up and some balls.

BTW- Rude Boy, Hows the MH Basecamp Tent holding up? Mine has some major holes from its last epic winter storm. Anyone have some extra 30 foot tent poles?

Windzup,
Brian Schenck

BTW- I kited way too much this summer, I miss these wet weather forum doldrums.

SBBeachbum
Very Frequent Poster

Postby SBBeachbum » Thu Oct 07, 2010 3:44 am

Sounds like ASA uses similar scumbag tactics as Toby's friends from the IKA. ASA guys are probably some bored curlers.

twah
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby twah » Thu Oct 07, 2010 4:09 am

yeah toby's opinion counts for f*** all cause he's so deep with IKA his balls are prolly cumming out their mouths :/

prolly gonna get a pm about this haha oh well the truth speaks volumes!

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Thu Oct 07, 2010 4:10 am

ASA are my friends too, and I am also on their pay list! gotta love capitalism!

wreknball
Frequent Poster

Postby wreknball » Thu Oct 07, 2010 4:33 am

That's quite the rant Firestarter (Brian), or should I call you Flackcatcher? But yes, a snowkite tour based on racing does present a paradox of sorts. Last year we decided to move the Montana Snowkite Rodeo away from the racing/competition paradigm and focus on backcountry fun and free-riding. Putting on the production of a race really ties an event down. Races wore me out after few years in a row of going to the trouble of organizing a race and then having the wind not blow when and where we wanted it to, and we got stuck at the event site while all the riders went and chased wind. That sucked. A race is a lot of work for nothing when it doesn't work out. Kiters want to Kite. Racing is just for fun, if it happens it happens.

Once we freed ourselves from the "racing mentality", our options for the event became wide open. You were there last year. We kited 7 out of 7 days by chasing the wind and exploring many different great kiting areas. I like this direction because it showcases what Kiteboarding is all about. Freedom and Community. Also, we've learned in the last couple of years that keeping the Rodeo free is the way to go.

I agree with you R.B.Saude, Who can afford to go to every event on an national tour in this day and age?

I think regionally (MT,ID,UT,WY,CO) we have always done a good job of Event Scheduling and stayed pretty organized that way, of course we could always get better at that. In the end, Kiters will show up if you put on an event, and if the snow is good they will show up in numbers which always attracts new kiters to the sport. For me, the "grass roots" feel is and always has been part of the appeal. The best snowkiting events I have been a part of have always been about camaraderie, not competition. So that's what Tony and I have focused the Rodeo on last year and again for this year. We re-located the MSR to Jackson Hot Springs which has been a welcoming home for weary kiters. Last year we all kited, ate, drank, listened to a great band and soaked in the hot springs for a week straight. It wasn't as big as Rodeos past, but I think it re-captured the feel, at least for us, of what Snowkiting events are all about. As the Organizers, de-centering the event away from competition made it fun for us again. We're never worried about the sport getting attention and growing. When the conditions are right there's more people than we can teach sometimes.

I'm all for getting a Snowkite Association together, but I have always envisioned it as a non-profit club that works to promote snowkiting safety, instruction and access rather than a publicity centered race series. Racing and Comps is just not my cup of tea.

Anyway, It's nice hearing other's opinion. I saw our event listed in a AWSI photo gallery on facebook for crying out loud. So I understand your reaction Brian. It took me by surprise too. As an event organizer, I never was invited to any meeting.

I will continue to support all the events I can get to. Just as always. And I hope everyone (kiters, industry reps, and newbies included) feels welcome to join us in Montana this year and let us show you some hospitality. I think we have a great Snowkiting Community here in the Western U.S. and it just keeps getting better.

Here's my new saying: "Wherever it snows, snowkiting grows."

Cheers, Joel Beatty
Montana Kite Sports

Check out pictures Last Year's Rodeo:

Motz
Medium Poster

Postby Motz » Thu Oct 07, 2010 6:08 pm

Oh I think ASA is a GREAT idea! hahaha

Well you guys know how I feel all about it hahahaha!! I say you guys run your events the way you guys want to and let them start with new events. Sounds like they are trying to use existing events for media purposes.

Pretty soon they will try to change the name from Snowkite Masters to ASA Snowkite Masters and that will pretty much not want me to attend.

rudeboysaude
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: Peter Lynn

Postby rudeboysaude » Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:26 pm

Motz.. who would want you at an event. You just keep me up late all night long pounding beers, raving in the thunder dome, and then are up 2 hours after finally sleeping to go kiting. Your a machine.

Brian.. The Stronghold is still holding up ok. I had a seam allowance issue with it where it started to pull away. MH wanted me to send the 50 pound beast in to see if it would qualify for warranty. Screw that, I fixed it myself. Mine doesn't see nearly the action that yours does though or the conditions.

I think if the ASA wants to have comps at other people's events they should hold them off to the side and do all the work judging and whatever else they want to do. No fair asking event organizers to alter their visions of how their event should be run. Or take Motz's suggestion and tell them to go to hell and have their own events. Hosting an event is a crap load of work. I'd be pissed if someone wanted to leech off mine for their own purposes.

Peter Lynn asked me if I knew of any hot young freestyle snowkiters for their new snow team and I was happy to tell them I don't know of anyone and even if I had, they'd have a hard time showcasing said rider at any event because snowkiters in the US don't focus on comps and place rankings. But I guess the ASA people want to see that change. I'd rather see riders change the industry perception and marketing ideas where it's cool to sponsor snowkiters who explore terrain, or show the reasons it lures the majority of us to the sport instead of just hittin rails and unhooked kiteloops. For me it's about kiting all day with fine people like Motz and trying to go beer for beer with him in the evening. That would make for great a great full page spread in some magazine.. me passed out in the snow with Motz gearing up for a moonlight session!

Return to “Snow / Land”