Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Anchored while flying big kite for the first time?

Forum for snow- and landkiters
BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Anchored while flying big kite for the first time?

Postby BWD » Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:53 pm

I am simply wondering
NO
how stupid are you?

I would hesitate to kite anywhere near you just based on this idea, it shows a complete lack of understanding and common sense.

KiteCulture
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Epic Renegades, Screamer LTD
Brand Affiliation: EPIC kites www.epickites.com
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby KiteCulture » Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:01 pm

do you think in these videos that they hadn't tried to get something that wouldn't break? I'm sure they never went into this thinking that they were going to get hurt.

If you need to be held down while launching a kite... it's too windy to ride. 2, 500 lbs guys won't help as they can let go. An example...
When teaching I hold onto the harness of every student for most of the lesson. The point to this is that I am connected with my hand in order to provide verbal direction, or be able to yell an action to them should a mistake be made. During body drags it's common for my hand to give way and let go under the load. Nothing is 100%... don't think about doing something like this. You said you were wondering if this is possible... NO it isn't. It's not possible to manage the situation to be regarded as fool proof or safe. There, NO is the answer - case closed. You're safe to ride another day

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:41 pm

supertux1 wrote: Just trying to explore options for preventing a smaller kiter from being lifted or dragged while they make the transition from trainer to big kite.
go out when there's less wind. you're not gonna get hurt if its blowing 5 mph.

all beginners have to wait for the right wind conditions anyway. I dont know if you remember when you first started out. beginners cant go out when its nuking because they have no control over the kite, and they cant learn to water start if the wind is super light because they dont have enough board control.

Being a beginner means you have to wait for the right wind.

TomaHawk
Rare Poster
Gear: 14m Cabrinha Contra 3, 10m Cabrinha Switchblade 3, 11m Ozone Frenzy FYX, 6m liquid Force Spectrum 2, 5.6 Peter Lynn Twister, 3m & 4m Prism Stylus
Cabrinha Empire Snowboard & Effect Bindings, Flexifoil Landboard, Cabrinha Prodigy Kiteboard
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby TomaHawk » Fri Dec 03, 2010 1:50 am

Sooo uh?...this no tether rule?...This goes the same for getting towed behind a ski-doo????

:nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono:

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:52 am

KiteCulture wrote: I'm sure they never went into this thinking.
There, that's better!

BobandLaurel
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby BobandLaurel » Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:37 am

If you feel you have to anchor yourself, anchor your chickenloop to a tree or truck or something instead. You should be able to generate some incredible forces as you're tomahawking your kite to death.

bob

windrupted
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: North Beach, Barney Line, The Wood in Ventucky, Island Park Idaho and Mt Hagin MT
Favorite Beaches: G-Land (Plenkung Point)
Style: Waves, Goofy or Switch
Gear: Craigslist
Brand Affiliation: Charles Shaw

Postby windrupted » Fri Dec 03, 2010 5:39 am

Ok, when advanced kiters get overpowered and no one is there to catch the kite they sometimes tie off to a stationary object and they land the kite, then run over quickly and grab it.... They don't try to fly it, they just set set it down real easy. But they know that kite and they know how it flies as second nature, like breathing or something. They just tie off and carefully set it on the ground. Yeah, if you know how to fly a kite you can do that. But after 4 seasons, I wont do it. I can't stand it, imagining what might happen. Thanks for bringing this up, you reminded me not to try it anymore. (That second youtube clip did it for me.....TWANG!. Is that poor guy still a factor in our human gene pool? One word, Darwin. Love the tatts. We have his cousins all over in downtown Huntington Beach.)

Return to “Snow / Land”