Gear: a couple Cabrinha's
a couple Switch's
some slingshot, Ocean Rodeo
Airush, Nobile, Trampa blah blah
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Re: Line break while snowkite gliding?

Postby FrontRangeJeff » Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:43 pm

Started out as a good topic and devolved into ball size measurements...yep - I no longer feel inclined or enjoy pushing it paragliding in overly ratty air...while many others do - but frankly I couldn't care less - has no impact on my life. PG is not and never was the least bit addictive for me like I have witnessed it consume others - to the point of ruining relationships/marriages or making it difficult to see things objectively.

I still thermal and soar for hours but just not very frequently... - but this is aside the point - because what also gets really old is seeing confident pilots make decisions to fly when they shouldn't or play mas macho being territorial over thermals or assuming that since they have gotten away with something before they always will. I am not accusing anyone on this thread of this nor am I saying everyone is like this - nor am I saying I am Mr. Safety perfect pilot perfect kiter high horse - far from it.

It is that I sadly know of 4 people whom have died pg...in a range of conditions and skills.

So to see this devolve into who is more bad ass or just more ballsy at this and that reminds me of middle school...which was far too awkward a time for me when I had no lady action and no hope of lady action...

A gazillion years later my wife of 17 years loves kiting too(she mostly buggies).....basically we have an unspoken arrangement to have gear in good condition, as much skill/training and experience as reasonably possible and rely on the little voice inside. I see absolutely no reason why I wouldn't feel pretty damned safe gliding on one of my kites eventually.

I have nothing to offer of any benefit beyond that - assuming this was remotely beneficial anyway...

Billy B.
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Strawberry, Big Bad UT Lake, Rush mudpuddle.
DC
Favorite Beaches: Strawberry, Rufus,, Hampton NH. San Diego lite wind ninja shit.
Style: Learning,... as in I am still learning.
Gear: 2014 north gear

All of it
North and Race boards
North twin tip and directional yummyness.
Surfboard and strapless play stuff.
Brand Affiliation: I am a North snowkite athlete.
Has thanked: 0

Postby Billy B. » Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:19 pm

edt wrote:Billy B it would be sad if you died, don't glide angry. If there's one place you don't want to show how large your balls are, it's 200 feet up in the air.

Also post some more videos if you got them. I want to see those loops.
No one can see my balls from that far away, I don't have big balls anyhow, :D I may have three however... :lol:

Gliding never makes me angry and trust me My gear is on point and trustworthy. Stuff up high is what I like it is not for everyone. But going Long and low is just as fun and great for lots off flyers! There has been some sick shit going down this year from some great flyers of all styles!!

Perhaps some videos in the future....My "big balls" cost me a ACL and some fractures this month so I am on the couch.....

Frontrangejeff, I wasn't harping on you or your post, I dislike Posers, and there is a huge one in this thread.. Sorry to catch you in the crossfire!

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:35 am

Billy B. wrote: cost me a ACL and some fractures this month so I am on the couch.....
oh man that's rough, a fracture is bad enough but an ACL that takes the better part of a year. Hope you have another hobby in the meantime.

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m Slash, 10m Pivot, 10m Slash, 12m Pivot. Firewire Vadar, Duotone Profish, Crazyfly Raptor ltd

Postby matth » Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:55 am

2012 cabrinha quicklink manual. Line three under ..Snow Kite General Guidelines

Do not attempt to use this kite as a flying device. Do not use this kite to soar from ridges, cliffs or slopes.

just saying!

FrontRangeJeff
Rare Poster
Style: unfolded lawn chair maybe?
Gear: a couple Cabrinha's
a couple Switch's
some slingshot, Ocean Rodeo
Airush, Nobile, Trampa blah blah

Postby FrontRangeJeff » Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:46 pm

Billy,
no worries - didn't feel caught in the cross fire; just wanted to clarify how I fly stripping through all the machismo to provide context that in my 2 cents being fairly cautious would not at all preclude me from eventually gliding on one of my power kites provided that my gear is in good shape and if I was ready for that skill wise. Original topic was line failures while gliding on a kite.

Matth:
as for the legal disclaimer from a Cabrinha manual-if following the letter of the manual is your frame of reference then no harm in that...but extending uses to include mellow glides doesn't make others renegades. I think we all accept levels of inherent risks.

Return to “Snow / Land”