Rare Poster
Local Beach: Lake George
Gear: HQ
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

2015 ozone frenzy

Postby metivir » Wed Oct 15, 2014 2:55 am

Can anyone that has actually ridden the 2015 ozone frenzy give feedback?

Isnowkite
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Skyline, Utah
Gear: Ozone
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: 2015 ozone frenzy

Postby Isnowkite » Wed Oct 15, 2014 11:06 pm

I have mine on order so I will post once I get them in Utah. It looks like some really good changes have been made to the Frenzy this year.

knewschool
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Big Sandy, Palisades, Mud Lake, Jackson Lake...
Favorite Beaches: Waddell Creek, Sherman Island

Snow kite spots are growing fastly and epicly.
Style: Wake, Big loops, Glides
Gear: Ozone kites, Xenon boards, Velocity Twisted, B3 Split Boards
Brand Affiliation: Ozone, Xenon, B3, Twisted

Postby knewschool » Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:05 am

I just got a hold of 2015 Frenzy's. I had a chance to fly the kite, but not really ride it. It handles nice and turns sharper than the old frenzy right off. It has plastic rods supporting the leading edge and I'd say they improve the stability in flight. Those rods also held the cells open to accept airflow to help inflate the kite when it's on the ground.

I tried the re-ride system as well. It was weird since I've never seen it before, but in practice it seemed to work perfectly as far as I can tell. The center line travels up into the kite and scrunches up the kite from the middle. The old kites flapped around and tangled often when you used the center line to flag or land in strong wind, but the re-ride may have solved that problem. I tried it about 5 times and had it come out clean every time. I'll try to take a few shots here in the next day or 2, maybe a quick vid too. I really want to try the re-ride in super strong wind. That will be a good test.

Cheers!

knewschool
Medium Poster

Postby knewschool » Fri Oct 24, 2014 5:51 pm

We went out yesterday with the intent of looking at the differences between the 2015 Summit and the new changes to the 2015 Frenzy. We also gave the re-ride system some good testing. We used an 8M Summit Light and a 7m 2015 Frenzy Light. The lights are the same design as the standard version but are made of an ultra thin fabric that decreases the weight and packed size for backcountry use.

Right off with the new frenzy design we notice there’s no cover over the leading edge cells and the spars. The feel and look of the kite has more efficient principal design than the older frenzy. The feel is awesome in the sky, it turns faster than the older Frenzy and looks and feels to be better pressurized while making sharp turns and flat spins. It was surprisingly powerful and I imagine in practice it’ll have similar pull to the older Frenzy, but with better turning and slightly better upwind advantage.

The re-ride system worked really well. At first we tried it by mimicking the video Ozone made. They show that you pull the re-ride line through the chickenloop. After a while we realized that you can just reach up above the bar and pull it to bring it down, basically the same way you do it with the rear line strap. If you do it with a slight bit of finesse you can still steer it down backwards and land it comfortably ready to relaunch. Simply pulling the flag line will bring it down with the re-ride, and probably out of 8 times, one of them resulted in a tangle. But you can use the re-ride like you’re already used to with the rear landing strap. I’d say the re-ride line is easier to land the kite with than the rear strap for now. We had some reasonably strong wind and had pretty good luck using the re-ride the entire time.

We took some pictures to help people see the differences in the Summit and Frenzy as well as the re-ride. We’re looking to get some good riding here in the next week or 2 and will let you know how it goes!
Attachments
IMG_3976 copy.jpg
Summit 8m Light and Frenzy 7m Light
IMG_3983 copy.jpg
Frenzy Leading Edge with Spars
FrenzySummit.jpg
Re-ride effect
IMG_3991 copy.jpg
Re-ride beginning to stall kite
IMG_3989 copy.jpg
Re-ride center y line to kite
IMG_4016 copy.jpg
Entry of re-ride into kite
IMG_4018 copy.jpg
Entry of re-ride into kite

knewschool
Medium Poster

Postby knewschool » Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:18 pm

I've now ridden the 2015 Frenzy in all sorts of conditions in the last few days along with the new Summit. It's a great kite and still has the flying characteristics the original Frenzy had. It's a slower turn with more grunt than the Summit series, but the plastic rods in the leading edge and different shape definitely make it feel more stable. We were amazed at how stable it was really. That's the first thing we all said after flying it was about how stable it was. We could let go of the bar and let it fly by itself, even at the edge of the window like when you self launch a tube. The 7m would go from a turn to a flat spin a little suddenly at first, but when I was used to it I enjoy the ability to flat spin in tight spots. I flew the 7m in some crazy gusty winds and it handled like a champ. I think the 7m light version is going to be my extra kite for strong winds for the season. It unhooked well, and the cells fill faster now that they're not covered with mesh, and the spars in the leading edge hold them open to accept air, on the ground handling is definitely great. The reride we've already tested, but keeps working great.

Hope this helps!

Return to “Snow / Land”