Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Snow Kiting: 3 or 5 strut.. Does it Matter?

Forum for snow- and landkiters
GregWoj
Medium Poster
Gear: none
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Snow Kiting: 3 or 5 strut.. Does it Matter?

Postby GregWoj » Wed Nov 12, 2014 1:36 am

Hi guys... any thoughts on what is better for snow kiting: a 3 or 5 strut kite? Or does it really matter?

Secondly for Harness - Do you guys use the same harness as you do for water or do you use a climbing harness w/Carabiner? Which is better for snow kiting or does it really matter?

crabnebula
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: mount washington nh
Favorite Beaches: Skyline, Utah
Style: in the air spinning
Gear: Ikon, TOBE, Julbo
Brand Affiliation: Ikon Kiteboarding, TOBE, Julbo

Re: Snow Kiting: 3 or 5 strut.. Does it Matter?

Postby crabnebula » Wed Nov 12, 2014 5:46 am

Regarding kite?
Rigidity and torque play a large part in strut numbers/ characteristics of a kite…but any kite will work
More struts? Less twisting and less weight in kite canopy more struts? More weight but less twisting.…so based on the wind, more struts are a compromise for better kite handling during steering, vs. better low wind flying with less precise handling …

harness wise?

I made a custom snowkite Harness that is climbing harness strength (tested) but anything will do
Unless you get into gliding, then either add leg loops to a waist harness and check the condition and overall reliability of the buckle system,(seat harnesses are good for beginners but not ideal if you've been kiting for awhile, they gather snow and lower your center of gravity) harness for comfort and correct balance. Look at ozone or mystic for pre made snowkite options

Pm me for a description of how to add leg loops to a waist harness

Hardwater Kiter
Frequent Poster
Style: Rough and tumble
Gear: Ram air and single skin Foil kites. Long skis to truck, short skis to huck.
Brand Affiliation: www.hardwaterkiter.com Authorized retailers of Flysurfer. Ozone, HQ kites and Gin kites.

Postby Hardwater Kiter » Wed Nov 12, 2014 3:09 pm

I don't fly LEI's so I can't give you an opinion on the strut question.

Harness wise, many of us ride Dakine Fusions for heavy duty use. We use Ozone SB's for our school and for touring and everyone seems to really like them. One size fits all (or most) and lot more comfortable than more heavy duty harnesses. Not quite as supportive as a Dakine or Mystic and not rated for leaving the ground and if you are a thin build the Ozone can be hard to snug up unless you're in your winter gear but in general it's a great harness.

Most people we run into on the snow who ride water use the same harness they already have. The most common issue is that a harness that fits you in the summer might be a bit snug on top of your winter clothing.

A waist harness may be hard to get to stay put even when snug as the layers of clothing can slide on each other.

Seat harnesses offer a bit more support but lower the tow point. For racing and speed that can be a good thing, for jumping it puts some people off. The Ozone is sort of a hybrid approach.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Wed Nov 12, 2014 3:16 pm

GregWoj wrote: Or does it really matter?Secondly for Harness - Do you guys use the same harness as you do for water or do you use a climbing harness w/Carabiner? Which is better for snow kiting or does it really matter?
1) no it doesn't matter. use the same kite on snow as you do on water if you like
2) I use the same harness all the time snow, water, sand, ice. Climbing harnesses are incredibly uncomfortable not meant for extended pressure.

go get some!

bay surfer
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: The Dam Beach
Favorite Beaches: Lake Michigan Beaches, OBX
Gear: Airush, Switch, Pansh, Kites, LF boards, Home Brewed Foils and boards

Postby bay surfer » Wed Nov 12, 2014 6:56 pm

Should not matter, but not sure if a single strut or no strut would relaunch easily, that has to be seen. What works on water does not always work on snow.

bay surfer
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: The Dam Beach
Favorite Beaches: Lake Michigan Beaches, OBX
Gear: Airush, Switch, Pansh, Kites, LF boards, Home Brewed Foils and boards

Postby bay surfer » Wed Nov 12, 2014 7:00 pm

Should not matter, but not sure if a single strut or no strut would relaunch easily, that has to be seen. What works on water does not always work on snow.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Wed Nov 12, 2014 7:25 pm

Typically 5 strut kites are higher aspect and 3 strut kites are lower aspect.
5 strutters will handles turbulent rotors and gusty conditions without deforming. In the those really bad winds you need to pump the shit out of a 3 strut kite or it does all sorts of funny things.

That said the low aspect kite makes a great high wind kite with good depower at the bar easy relaunch and typically reduced lift. Plus the drift down wind better. So if will be easier on a low aspect 3 strut t run downslope toward the kite.

But a high aspect 5 strut will typically jump and glide better plus go faster and upwind better.

GregWoj
Medium Poster
Gear: none

Postby GregWoj » Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:02 am

Thanks bros...I think I have my answers. Will stick with the harness I use for water and my quiver of 3 strut kites as it seems there will be nominal differences.

Thanks for all the insight!

john a
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Freestyle, airstyle, freeride, snowkite
Gear: Eleveight
Brand Affiliation: Eleveight

Postby john a » Fri Nov 14, 2014 12:38 am

No! Number of struts depends on the structure and shape of the kite. 3 works, 4 works, 5 works. Bin riding all kind on snow a lot in all kind of conditions, and really it all comes down to the rider (unfortunately) ;)
Most people will prefer a kite with a bit more wind range on snow though as the wind tends to go more up and down and are more unpredictable in a lot of mountains, and the forecast is less likely to be accurate than at the cost (most places).

Return to “Snow / Land”