PDCK
Medium Poster
Gear: Ozone.
Epic.
Axis.
WH.

Re: Kite-o-rado Snowkite Conditions

Postby PDCK » Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:35 pm

Cool, see you there, I’ll be on 6m, and have my wife s trainer3m hahaha.
Not sure what u mean by DOW, but anything that is not Dan noble/Kane/greager is private land, I would not go there. I mean, as long as nobody sees you it s all good, but you know how rancher can get with trespassing!
There is also the NFS east of the road, but there is private land in the middle.
I ll stick with the Dan noble to be sure.

PDCK
Medium Poster
Epic.
Axis.
WH.

Postby PDCK » Sun Mar 10, 2019 5:05 pm

On March 6th, i got to Miramonte around 2pm, driving in pouring rain, lightning sky, and muddy roads.
It looked like a big part of the ice was melting in the middle of the reservoir.
The sky opened up a little, rain stopped, wind got lighter......so i went for a few turns....it was pathetic.
I thought the white season was over for Miramonte due to high 40s temp and rain.

But I went again yesterday, after a couple of freezing night and light snow fall....and it was Epic again! :D
Super constant wind, sun and warmish.
The reservoir itself was a bit icy with little snow cover on some parts, but the whole SE corner on land and shore was great. I was super powered on my 15m, throwing big airs over and over......till i swang underneath the kite and crashed pretty hard on myntail bone, aoutchhhh! Nothing broken, limping a bit today, and going back to ride this aftyernoon!
Screen Shot 2019-03-09 at 7.29.00 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2019-03-09 at 7.45.38 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2019-03-09 at 7.53.18 PM.jpg
Crime scene! :lol:

PDCK
Medium Poster
Epic.
Axis.
WH.

Postby PDCK » Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:29 am

Miramonte is still frozen....but not for long!
Screen Shot 2019-03-18 at 7.19.40 PM.jpg

PDCK
Medium Poster
Epic.
Axis.
WH.

Postby PDCK » Wed Mar 27, 2019 3:20 am

Wind at Miramonte was sooo good today. Fully powered with 8m UL.
Still a lot of snow around the reservoir, it will melt fast tho with a few more days at +60F!
With the perfect conditions, i went for a full "Around the reservoir" ride.
Launch at the E boat ramp and started upwind S, came back upwind again from the N.
Look at this track Matt!!!
Screen Shot 2019-03-26 at 7.46.09 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2019-03-26 at 7.36.53 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2019-03-26 at 7.56.10 PM.jpg
8)

Anthonyshopguy
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Grandmesa CO
Favorite Beaches: Ivanpah CA, Metro Park MI, 6 Mile on lake Mohave NV. Daulpin island Al
Style: Snow kiting, buggy, water
Gear: 21m Flysurfer Soul, 17m LEI Cabrinha Contra, 13m Waroo LEI, 11 m foil Frenzy Ozone, 11m Lei Escape PL, 9m Lei Nemesis Best, 7m Lei Waroo, 6m foil apex HQ, 174 SB for the Pow, 169 split SB for the outback, Cabrinha 154 twin tip for the lake, 600 switchback Polaris to get me there, and why not add in a nice new big foot buggy for that once a year buggy blast at Ivanpah.
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Anthonyshopguy » Thu Mar 28, 2019 6:28 pm

:) Ok very impressive. Darn all the snow here in Rocky point melted ions ago. But got some good sessions in with both the buggy and my TT here's the crazy part that silly JGG my 21 Soul that is opened both sessions up 8) :lol: Also got my new foil in the water. Limited success so far. Having troubles loading pics from here. Winds are looking good for the JGG again today winds from 1 to 6 steady at 11 mph :thumb: Maybe more foil time. You guys keep enjoying that snow. I have another week of buggying at IBX AT Ivanpah so up dates from there.

Steve in Gypsum
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Gear: Naish, Liquid Force, F-One, Cabrinha, Ozone, Flysurfer, HQ.

Postby Steve in Gypsum » Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:20 am

Had a great time on the Grand Mesa this afternoon. South wind, pretty gusty, but still fun. Used my 9m and 6m Flysurfer Peak 3 kites and an Arbor Coda splitboard. Snow was good although it was starting to set up into Sierra cement. Had to be careful not to take any diggers. No other kiters but talked to a few curious snowmobile riders. Kind of lonesome up there without any other kiters around. Such beautiful snowkiting terrain.
Attachments
IMG_1980s.jpg
IMG_1980s.jpg (107.77 KiB) Viewed 1315 times
IMG_1979s.jpg
IMG_1979s.jpg (104.59 KiB) Viewed 1315 times
IMG_1978s.jpg
IMG_1978s.jpg (113.84 KiB) Viewed 1315 times
IMG_1977s.jpg
IMG_1977s.jpg (132.42 KiB) Viewed 1315 times
IMG_1976s.jpg
IMG_1976s.jpg (122.26 KiB) Viewed 1315 times
IMG_1975s.jpg
IMG_1975s.jpg (111.48 KiB) Viewed 1315 times
IMG_1974s.jpg
IMG_1974s.jpg (110.06 KiB) Viewed 1315 times

Anthonyshopguy
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Grandmesa CO
Favorite Beaches: Ivanpah CA, Metro Park MI, 6 Mile on lake Mohave NV. Daulpin island Al
Style: Snow kiting, buggy, water
Gear: 21m Flysurfer Soul, 17m LEI Cabrinha Contra, 13m Waroo LEI, 11 m foil Frenzy Ozone, 11m Lei Escape PL, 9m Lei Nemesis Best, 7m Lei Waroo, 6m foil apex HQ, 174 SB for the Pow, 169 split SB for the outback, Cabrinha 154 twin tip for the lake, 600 switchback Polaris to get me there, and why not add in a nice new big foot buggy for that once a year buggy blast at Ivanpah.

Postby Anthonyshopguy » Sat Mar 30, 2019 5:47 am

Steve pm me I'll give you Todd's# he's almost always ready for a session. Come on down to Ivanpah next week a d I'll get you addicted to Buggying :thumb: :bye:

kitejumping
Medium Poster
Gear: Peter Lynn and Flysurfer kites

Postby kitejumping » Tue Apr 02, 2019 4:52 am

Lake Dillon is still good, the low water levels made the sides a lot more fun this season.

chris country
Rare Poster
Has thanked: 0

Postby chris country » Tue Apr 02, 2019 6:16 pm

Looks like a perfect afternoon, thanks for sharing that. I think I need to snag a big floaty foil kite for my quiver...I can't seem to stop watching the Flysurfer Soul kite videos from Europe and yours certainly had the float. Did you reach that spot from the launch at the south end of Lake Dillion?

Steve, the pics from Grand Mesa were awesome too, more terrain up there than I thought. I was camped across the valley the day you were riding on my way back from Moab with my wife. I would have much rather been up top sessioning with you in the snow. Don't ever tell her that if we meet, hah!

Guys, I had a lot of good sessions on Blue Mesa last year both kiting and windsurfing. I would love to somehow stay in contact with potential Colorado water riders this year as there are so few of us. Do you all think that this thread would be a good way to give a shout out on occasion or start a water thread elsewhere? I would love to meet some of the posters on this thread this next season. Think about it.

kitejumping
Medium Poster
Gear: Peter Lynn and Flysurfer kites

Postby kitejumping » Wed Apr 03, 2019 1:34 am

chris country wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 6:16 pm
Looks like a perfect afternoon, thanks for sharing that. I think I need to snag a big floaty foil kite for my quiver...I can't seem to stop watching the Flysurfer Soul kite videos from Europe and yours certainly had the float. Did you reach that spot from the launch at the south end of Lake Dillion?

Steve, the pics from Grand Mesa were awesome too, more terrain up there than I thought. I was camped across the valley the day you were riding on my way back from Moab with my wife. I would have much rather been up top sessioning with you in the snow. Don't ever tell her that if we meet, hah!

Guys, I had a lot of good sessions on Blue Mesa last year both kiting and windsurfing. I would love to somehow stay in contact with potential Colorado water riders this year as there are so few of us. Do you all think that this thread would be a good way to give a shout out on occasion or start a water thread elsewhere? I would love to meet some of the posters on this thread this next season. Think about it.
Yeah, big floaty foils are super fun on the light wind days, and those days are usually the only time the wind is somewhat consistent up here. I've been launching from the Dillon marina.

I usually do two or three trips to Lake Mac in Nebraska every summer, although with all the snow this year there might not be much beach exposed this summer.

Return to “Snow / Land”