Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Local Beach: Colorado, Wyoming, Nebraska
Style: Doubtful.
Gear: LC Pelican, Gin Marabou/Shaman/Spirit
Brand Affiliation: Tom Bourdeau designs, Gin

Re: Kite-o-rado Snowkite Conditions

Postby nate76 » Sun May 26, 2019 3:12 am

So ended up hitting Guanella Pass on Friday - wind forecast was looking really solid like high teens gusting to high 30's straight from the west. Road was supposed to be open but unfortunately was still closed by the time I arrived. Based on Avy forecast and family constraints, I wanted to be up there early and down early.

Based on my day up there, the area has huge potential but get the feeling it can also easily disappoint. For example, I got up there and struggled the 1st 3 hours to find any useable wind in the lower valley. It wasn't until about noon and when I had climbed up to about 11,800 ft that I finally got a consistent breeze. Was pretty flabbergasted at how dead calm and swirley it was down low based on the forecast; I have a feeling that the strong sun and thermals on the eastern slopes may have been killing off the breeze. The large mountains to the west I think also have a significant affect on winds from that direction. Friday the winds also came in much more from the south than anticipated, which also ended up being problematic. I had decided to make a run on climbing Bierstadt, and with the way the winds were coming in, they were kind of rolling in over a southern ridge, and that wasn't helping either.

At any rate, really beautiful area up there, but also might be a bit of a heartbreaker - with the visions and possibilities of what is possible often exceeding the realities. Would be fun to try on a lighter N/S thermal day when winds are pumping through the valley.

Anthonyshopguy
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Grandmesa CO
Favorite Beaches: Ivanpah CA, Metro Park MI, 6 Mile on lake Mohave NV. Daulpin island Al
Style: Snow kiting, buggy, water
Gear: 21m Flysurfer Soul, 17m LEI Cabrinha Contra, 13m Waroo LEI, 11 m foil Frenzy Ozone, 11m Lei Escape PL, 9m Lei Nemesis Best, 7m Lei Waroo, 6m foil apex HQ, 174 SB for the Pow, 169 split SB for the outback, Cabrinha 154 twin tip for the lake, 600 switchback Polaris to get me there, and why not add in a nice new big foot buggy for that once a year buggy blast at Ivanpah.
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Anthonyshopguy » Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:54 pm

I am back from my front range adventures!! The 35th year we have gone Rafting on the Poudre river on memorial day with the first year being 1984, just a few years ago😄. Though in 35 years the lowest water levels we have ever seen this late in the year. So the high snow is still holding strong. My Son got married the week after. Beautiful ceremony in the open grass lands of Northern Colorado. I was so good not one serious kite to take attention away from his day! However I might have put Kites in the hands of a half dozen young people after the ceremony :thumb: Got to start them young!!! So no Kiting in over two weeks I'm dying here, where, when, is the next adventure???? Heading up the Grand Mesa this afternoon to check conditions. Will keep everyone posted. Matt fathers day, Engineer's pass, sounds awesome count me in :). Scott any chance of one last Snow Mesa?? Talk to youall :jump: soon :bye:

ScottN
Rare Poster
Style: Snow kite
Gear: Ozone
Has thanked: 0

Postby ScottN » Tue Jun 04, 2019 4:25 pm

I went to Snow Mesa June 1st The sled ride in was dirt and snow at the bottom and snow once you got up a ways. There is 2-3 ft. of snow up top and had pretty good wind in the morning then it got gusty afternoon. It looks like the sled access is pretty much over (unless you had a sled you didn't care about) so it would be hike through the mud and then skin once you hit the snow line. Might try one last time the week of the 10th if the overnight temps are below freezing.

Anthonyshopguy
Medium Poster
Favorite Beaches: Ivanpah CA, Metro Park MI, 6 Mile on lake Mohave NV. Daulpin island Al
Gear: 21m Flysurfer Soul, 17m LEI Cabrinha Contra, 13m Waroo LEI, 11 m foil Frenzy Ozone, 11m Lei Escape PL, 9m Lei Nemesis Best, 7m Lei Waroo, 6m foil apex HQ, 174 SB for the Pow, 169 split SB for the outback, Cabrinha 154 twin tip for the lake, 600 switchback Polaris to get me there, and why not add in a nice new big foot buggy for that once a year buggy blast at Ivanpah.

Postby Anthonyshopguy » Sat Jun 08, 2019 5:07 am

Going to hit the Grand Mesa tomorrow with Todd conditions look awesome. 8) 12:00pm land Mesa road. Winds steady at 12 gusts up to 18. Snow pack at 3' two days ago. Wet slushy and bring your beach towels. Let's make an epic day 💪😎👊

kitejumping
Medium Poster
Gear: Peter Lynn and Flysurfer kites

Postby kitejumping » Sat Jun 08, 2019 5:12 am

20190607_163746.jpg
Nice! Still getting after it in summit too, coverage was good this afternoon but the wind got weird after 30 min or so. Lots of recent wet slides, watch out for cornices.

soplo
Rare Poster
Gear: A few Access foils
Kahoona 12
Rally 14, 15
Learning on a 6m WASP

Postby soplo » Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:37 pm

Last minute trip to join Anthony was a good time! Somebody driving by pulled over and took a bunch of pictures with a real camera, putting our usual cel phone pictures to shame. Pretty cool to have park-and-ride access this late in June, and only one or two rocks peeking out (although the signs/posts are taller than I remember). The photos are at the photographer's site: https://roamingtogether.com/

Matt, I'm intrigued by this Father's Day session if that's still in the cards.

Justin

matthepp
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: RMP
Favorite Beaches: La Ventana
Kino Bay
Red Mountain Pass
Style: Rich
Gear: OR Flite 15m
OR Razor 12m
OR Prodigy 7m 9.5m
BD Carbon Megawatts
Slingshot Dwarfcraft/ Gamma 68
Brand Affiliation: Alpine Edge Engineering

Postby matthepp » Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:17 pm

Ok guys, I am hoping Sunday will work out. Right now it's supposed to be sunny and windy for the whole work week, then no wind and stormy on Sunday but that could change... Also, most of the backcountry jeep routes aren't even plowed due to deep avy debris. Maybe good old McMillon?? Stand by for update end of the week.

Anthonyshopguy
Medium Poster

Postby Anthonyshopguy » Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:38 am

I'm up for Mac million. Keep me posted. Thinking GM Friday around 12.

Anthonyshopguy
Medium Poster

Postby Anthonyshopguy » Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:33 am

Grand Mesa father's day ok not epic but not boring definitely not boring. A few stupid gusts that ripped me a new one! A leading edge line tangle in my snowboard bindings that precluded any safe release, dragging me on my backside for over a 100' (glad I wasn't in the water)!😱 Several big jumps still not as epic as Matt Hepp who really took to the air with my 21. And finally a back side drag over 20 mph before I got the JGG back under control. Yeah not boring. Matt got his wife Lindsay out on a 5,5 she got a couple of nice slices 😀. Finally my good friend Todd. He's decided that a 10 m is not fitting for light wind days and has been using my 15 Turbine. Works really good 👍 for him except when the trim slips and he full powers into a 20mph wind. I butt puckered for about 10 seconds but not only did he keep control but managed to jump Matt's lines on the ground and power down into the valley. Great job Todd best Kiting I've seen you do.👍 Matt Rallyed his kids by dragging them around on an inner tube and then handed them a ,8 m kite and letting them drag themselves around using that. SO SO CUTE! makes me ready for some Grand kids so I have some body to pull around. Snow might hold for another week but it will soon be gone. What an epic year, Matt, Todd, and my self had our first session this seasont on Oct 15 2018 and most probably ended this weekend. 8 months of kiting GREAT YEAR😀😀😀👍👍😀👍😁🤣

kitejumping
Medium Poster
Gear: Peter Lynn and Flysurfer kites

Postby kitejumping » Mon Oct 21, 2019 3:14 pm

Loveland pass last July, and now back at it again in October. Just missed August and September this year.

Conditions: had to pack down an area with my splitboard sidestepping and mark a few rocks. Unlimited rocks to hit / jib / trash your rock board but the season has started!
Attachments
IMG_20191020_200058_814.jpg
IMG_20191020_200058_814.jpg (77.83 KiB) Viewed 1282 times
IMG_20191020_200058_805.jpg
IMG_20191020_200058_841.jpg
IMG_20191020_200058_806.jpg

Return to “Snow / Land”