Kite-o-rado Snowkite Conditions

Forum for snow- and landkiters
chris country
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: Kite-o-rado Snowkite Conditions

Postby chris country » Sun Feb 24, 2019 6:54 pm

Huge session yesterday in South Park. I rolled up to an undisclosed location at noon with new kiterJosh Holmes and there were half a dozen people out under blue skies. At one point, I think I counted 10 people with kites having fun in the fresh stuff....never seen anything like it. Josh from Montrose, a few from Denver, Buena Vista, and me from Salida. It was fun seeing the stoke out there with others.

The area must have gotten over a foot of snow the night before and winds were 15-25. I have never had to work so hard though as the snow was pretty compacted and snowboarding required a ton of back leg pressure. Everybody was whupped after a few hours but stoked on the good wind. Late in the day I worked my way up a couple 150 foot high hills off the flat land and got some of my first decent glides of 30 yards or more. Wish I had tried earlier as I had nothing left in my tank and boosting took everything I had. All in all, one of the best days in a long time around these parts, hope you're all scoring out there.
Last edited by chris country on Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

ScottN
Rare Poster
Style: Snow kite
Gear: Ozone

Postby ScottN » Sun Feb 24, 2019 7:22 pm

I met Johnny and some of his friends there yesterday. It was a fun day, good snow and wind. Chris, sorry I didn't get a chance to say HI. Looks like Taylor might have some wind this week if you want to come this way.

chris country
Rare Poster

Postby chris country » Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:35 pm

Cool Scott, sorry I missed you guys. I'm about to start my work week and will be done Wed. and free from then on. If it looks windy I'll check in to see if you guys are going out. Cheers

Sojourner
Medium Poster

Postby Sojourner » Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:20 am

Putting the kibosh on place names posted to the interweb when it ruins it for the rest of us because the ACTUAL SIGNS at that spot say "NO WIND POWERED CRAFT". They are posted to a very large information kiosk in the parking lot. Let's just count on the sign being accurate instead of looking for excuses.
Last edited by Sojourner on Wed Feb 27, 2019 1:37 am, edited 5 times in total.

chris country
Rare Poster

Postby chris country » Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:36 am

Post edited above. A little clarification on my behalf about the public whipping regarding the prior session at the undisclosed location if I may. Yes, I plead guilty to missing the signage on the lake shore. We stopped the car and I skimmed the rules in a hurry and missed it. I'm sorry fellow kiters for jeopardizing the spot and for that I suppose I'm a royal kook.

I did hand my kite to a friend that was having difficulties holding down his 10m Ozone Access. He's had 4 lessons now in Mexico and from Anton on Dillon. I'm 155 lbs and it was my 9m Renegade and it was perfect for the day. My buddy is 180 lbs. and yes he ended up downwind ending up to within 50 yards to the side of the parking lot. We agreed beforehand that he would stop if he could not hold his ground which he did. I suppose that could be construed as irresponsible. I rode in front of the parking lot as did others and went back to the hills as did almost all others to play on the terrain. At no time were fisherman coming off the lake in that area as all of us had taken it over with anchored kites, sleds, and bags. I sessioned that area continually as it had a beautiful snow bank running the length of it and as an old skater, I love working natural quarter pipes. To those that love to work upwind and cruise across flat fields, power to 'em and it respect that as well. It's funny none of my behavior came up at the friendly pow wow in the parking lot between all of us, I would have happily adjusted my session.

I'm going to back off on posting this winter and certainly won't advertise this or other delicate areas again. If I see people are going to ride somewhere I'll shoot a pm. What really bums me out about that lashing is that I always feel that I try to pay close attention to others, being safe, and not showing kiters in a bad light. I do get super excited and try to get my friends into this sport as I feel it needs to be shared with others. I like to ride with others too and hear the hooting and hollering going on, hence the shorter forays from the launch site. Lesson learned ya'll, look for skinny kook on a red Renegade around the state.

Chris

p.s.-by the way, it's not hard to miss any kiter on the lake coming down the hill to the launch area....just sayin. We all need white kites I think!

Steve in Gypsum
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Gear: Naish, Liquid Force, F-One, Cabrinha, Ozone, Flysurfer, HQ.

Postby Steve in Gypsum » Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:23 pm

Hey Chris, I enjoy your posts and the stoke you have for the sport. I hope you don't stop posting, as most kiters enjoy the social aspect of the sport, thus this forum. I don't know Sojourner, but his critical post is typical of the anti-social, keep it all to ourselves attitude so prevalent in sports like surfing, backcountry skiing and snowboarding and kiting. Yes, we all have to be careful where we kite and respectful of those we kite near, but the lashing that you received was uncalled for. I'm sure I'll get lashed for my comments too, but I don't really give a damn. Keep up the great posts and keep that stoke going!

matthepp
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: RMP
Favorite Beaches: La Ventana
Kino Bay
Red Mountain Pass
Style: Rich
Gear: OR Flite 15m
OR Razor 12m
OR Prodigy 7m 9.5m
BD Carbon Megawatts
Slingshot Dwarfcraft/ Gamma 68
Brand Affiliation: Alpine Edge Engineering

Postby matthepp » Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:00 pm

Thanks for sharing the great stoke that folks are getting in around the state. I love hearing about it. It's great that we are a self-policing group, for the most part. Most normal folks don't even understand what the heck we are doing out there on the snow. Many are intrigued but some may be mortified of us, especially those with dogs or kids. Give folks room. Be sure not to be the guy to dump a kite onto a civilian, or get dragged across a highway, etc! We are lucky down here in the SW corner to have plenty of elbow room but close to the Frange it has to be touchy. Well, I'm off to go score Mickey's secret stash before we adhere to the wildlife closure in 2 days!

Steve in Gypsum
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Gear: Naish, Liquid Force, F-One, Cabrinha, Ozone, Flysurfer, HQ.

Postby Steve in Gypsum » Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:20 pm

All great points Matthepp. Hope you have a great day of kiting in Mickey's secret stash! And I hope we hear all about it afterwards!

Sojourner
Medium Poster

Postby Sojourner » Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:05 am

On Sunday up high then somewhere en route to the Kansas/Nebraska border

Anthonyshopguy
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Grandmesa CO
Favorite Beaches: Ivanpah CA, Metro Park MI, 6 Mile on lake Mohave NV. Daulpin island Al
Style: Snow kiting, buggy, water
Gear: 21m Flysurfer Soul, 17m LEI Cabrinha Contra, 13m Waroo LEI, 11 m foil Frenzy Ozone, 11m Lei Escape PL, 9m Lei Nemesis Best, 7m Lei Waroo, 6m foil apex HQ, 174 SB for the Pow, 169 split SB for the outback, Cabrinha 154 twin tip for the lake, 600 switchback Polaris to get me there, and why not add in a nice new big foot buggy for that once a year buggy blast at Ivanpah.

Postby Anthonyshopguy » Wed Feb 27, 2019 5:39 am

Grand Mesa report. Received a 4' dump of powder last weekend firmed up to about a 15" base today . Winds steady at 10 with gusts to 16 made for a powder tracking session. 7.3 miles of tracking mixed with a liberal dose of jumps just to top off the day. Hit 23 mph, not bad in 16" of powder. The JGG Jolly Green Giant continues to abuse me just as much as it delights me. I know for a fact my 15m Turbine would have been a total farce today. So check one Mark for the JGG 21m soul. :bye:

Return to “Snow / Land”