Rare Poster
Gear: A few Access foils
Kahoona 12
Rally 14, 15
Learning on a 6m WASP
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Kite-o-rado Snowkite Conditions

Postby soplo » Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:52 pm

Yes! That was the most fun I’ve had in a while, and a trip that I’ll not forget. Kiting, campfire, and everything else. Thanks for nudging me to use the big (for me) kite — as usual, you guys were right — and thanks for everybody with a machine. I owe beers for the gas/maintenance. The resolution on those drone shots is impressive. The tiny specks turn into kiters when you enlarge and zoom in. Shows how big the place is too. I’d love to go back!
-Justin

PDCK
Medium Poster
Gear: Ozone.
Epic.
Axis.
WH.

Postby PDCK » Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:14 pm

Couldn t make it for the Groundhog Day Kite Invasion, glad you guys had fun.
I went to Lizard, and had a good 2 hours on 8m. Snow was a bit hard from the wind, but wind was very good till the storm kicked in.
Screen Shot 2019-02-02 at 4.25.56 PM.jpg
Then yesterday, an other nuking South day, i finally went for the North land of Miramauii. There is soo much terrain, lots of very fun creek beds and hills. There was almost no snow left on the reservoir itself, due to the heavy winds.
I arrived a bit late and had only 40 min on my 8m till i could not hold it anymore. Got too lazy to go inflate the 5m.
Screen Shot 2019-02-04 at 5.48.56 PM.jpg
Just coming back from Lizard now, was 6m kinda weather, but very S, not much W component unfortunately, making it super gusty from above the trees.
About 40 min of fun.
Screen Shot 2019-02-05 at 2.49.40 PM.jpg
Now waiting for the refill!!!!

br44
Frequent Poster
Gear: LEIs, foils

Postby br44 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:15 am

PDCK wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:14 pm
Then yesterday, an other nuking South day, i finally went for the North land of Miramauii. There is soo much terrain, lots of very fun creek beds and hills. There was almost no snow left on the reservoir itself, due to the heavy winds.
Which reservoir is that? Couldn't find "Miramauii".

ScottN
Rare Poster
Style: Snow kite
Gear: Ozone
Has thanked: 0

Postby ScottN » Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:40 am

Thanks for the pictures Matt, great kiting weekend. Johnny and I will probably go to Taylor Res. or Union Park (near Taylor) Wednesday. Maybe take a recon mission to Saguache Park, Salt House, on Thursday to see how much snow is down there. Chris? Blue Mesa is probably a safer bet for Thursday but could be a fun trip.
Scott

chris country
Rare Poster

Postby chris country » Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:31 am

Scott, did you guys score today? It looked windy around a large part of the state. I wish I had gone to Taylor park as I didn't have to sleep too late to recover from my night shift and would have had time. I'm going to Blue Mesa or Creede tomorrow for sure.

matthepp
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: RMP
Favorite Beaches: La Ventana
Kino Bay
Red Mountain Pass
Style: Rich
Gear: OR Flite 15m
OR Razor 12m
OR Prodigy 7m 9.5m
BD Carbon Megawatts
Slingshot Dwarfcraft/ Gamma 68
Brand Affiliation: Alpine Edge Engineering

Postby matthepp » Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:36 am

Br44, miramaui is our euphemistic moniker for miramonte reservoir south of norwood.

Chris, I'll bet that Blue Mesa will blow like stink tomorrow. Could be a good day to park at the dam and do a downwinder damn near all the way to Gunny, then hitch back.

Scott, I too look forward to hearing about your recon.
Cheers, Matt

soplo
Rare Poster
Gear: A few Access foils
Kahoona 12
Rally 14, 15
Learning on a 6m WASP

Postby soplo » Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:33 pm

Matt, what does 'blow like stink' mean — gusty, too strong, or something else? Looks like a straight west wind, and I was halfway considering going, but couldn't. For next time (Monday looks similar but less gusty), I'm curious what to watch out for at BM.

FWIW, I slightly prefer the east end because there's no ice (after last summer, at least). I know... it's freezing, but I feel a little better on solid ground. That said, your story about the guy who fell through and somehow made it to his car was encouraging, but I hope I never have to try that.

matthepp
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: RMP
Favorite Beaches: La Ventana
Kino Bay
Red Mountain Pass
Style: Rich
Gear: OR Flite 15m
OR Razor 12m
OR Prodigy 7m 9.5m
BD Carbon Megawatts
Slingshot Dwarfcraft/ Gamma 68
Brand Affiliation: Alpine Edge Engineering

Postby matthepp » Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:42 am

Blowing like stink means 9m, for me. Blowing like stink means I'll probably have a couple of pucker moments when I might suck in the ass end of my Gore-tex shell pants while riding out a short squall. But it's worth it to be lit up all day! Anything west will be good. Bay of chickens was totally frozen safe last Sunday. Probably the whole lake is good based on the number of guys out there who clearly hate their wives so miss that they are willing to stand there looking down a hole in the ice in fifteen below morning temps.

Tom L and I had a pretty lousy day on Lizard Head right after Mickey. The wind would roll in in packets of swirly snow devils, then die, then repeat. This was clearly not blowing like stink. This was borderline dog ballz.

Nonetheless, my kids have D Squad Saturday so I'll be back up there for more.
These users thanked the author matthepp for the post:
soplo (Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:51 am)
Rating: 3.03%

chris country
Rare Poster

Postby chris country » Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:14 am

Hey dudes, made it over to Blue Mesa today and sure enough it was nuking...or "blowing like stink". I'm only 155 lbs. but I too like to be lit in the deep stuff so I put up my 9m. It was about 12:30 and super rowdy with winds from 15-30 and I could have been going on my 6m I'm fairly certain. Anyway, I had my doubts driving around the lake to the Iola site, not due to the wind but the terrain looked a little lame. Wrong I was! I crossed the lake and found a few little gullies with small cornices and proceded to slash the crap out of them while working back and forth. The lake even had a nice 7 foot high lip where the lake met the hill and I would work the length of it for maybe 100 yards slashing it up like a natural 1/4 pipe. The lake probably has a good foot or more of snow on it and the hills off the lake were up to 2 ft. in spots. By far the best day I've had this year and I can't wait to hit it again! I'll dump a couple photos off my phone tomorrow. Cheers.

Anthonyshopguy
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Grandmesa CO
Favorite Beaches: Ivanpah CA, Metro Park MI, 6 Mile on lake Mohave NV. Daulpin island Al
Style: Snow kiting, buggy, water
Gear: 21m Flysurfer Soul, 17m LEI Cabrinha Contra, 13m Waroo LEI, 11 m foil Frenzy Ozone, 11m Lei Escape PL, 9m Lei Nemesis Best, 7m Lei Waroo, 6m foil apex HQ, 174 SB for the Pow, 169 split SB for the outback, Cabrinha 154 twin tip for the lake, 600 switchback Polaris to get me there, and why not add in a nice new big foot buggy for that once a year buggy blast at Ivanpah.

Postby Anthonyshopguy » Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:31 am

Heading out on machines Saturday to check out some back areas of the Grand Mesa. 11.00 am Mesa top parking lot. For the Snowmobilers. Two sleds going I'm willing to tow a second person in.

Return to “Snow / Land”