Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Kite-o-rado Snowkite Conditions

Forum for snow- and landkiters
Anthonyshopguy
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Grandmesa CO
Favorite Beaches: Ivanpah CA, Metro Park MI, 6 Mile on lake Mohave NV. Daulpin island Al
Style: Snow kiting, buggy, water
Gear: 21m Flysurfer Soul, 17m LEI Cabrinha Contra, 13m Waroo LEI, 11 m foil Frenzy Ozone, 11m Lei Escape PL, 9m Lei Nemesis Best, 7m Lei Waroo, 6m foil apex HQ, 174 SB for the Pow, 169 split SB for the outback, Cabrinha 154 twin tip for the lake, 600 switchback Polaris to get me there, and why not add in a nice new big foot buggy for that once a year buggy blast at Ivanpah.
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Kite-o-rado Snowkite Conditions

Postby Anthonyshopguy » Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:26 pm

I think I'll title this one a quick afternoon jaunt. Todd and I left the house at 2 in the afternoon, isn't it wonderful to live near where you want to be. We got to the top of the Mesa, the wind was blowing 12 to 14 MPH. I opted put up my 21 Soul Todd put up his biggest kite his 10. The 21 was lit 10 was a struggle. Nothing epic like PDKS Mcmillan but with a 21 m tractor you can lay down a ton of miles in just a few hours. 18 miles was the total for the day. A bunch of jumps including a 25 + foot jump. It was both terrifying and exhilarating at the same time. That's a personal estimate no woo here :o Using a small downhill area I tried to see how stupid fast I could go. I thought for sure I hit over 30 but no I hit 29 miles per hour :lol: all in all an excellent session.
Other topics looking for a 12 to 14 m foil for my friend Todd, he needs a bigger kite.
Quick report on my trip to Puerto Pinasca and Ivanpah I had an awesome time on the 21 meter, I got a chance to buggy in a huge tidal Bay called Cholla. The supermoon had taken the all water out of the bay and it was probably 10 square miles of tidal pools and mud and say yeehaw what fun. Got a chance to fly my new hydrofoil somewhat of a frustration but everybody says it's a slow learning curve so I'm not too concerned. The biggest problem I had is when I lost the foil I had to do massive massive body drags to get back to it. I figured out after a while, adding a side stroke into the body drag made it more efficient and I could get back to the foil with only two tacks, still within an hour I was wiped out. :wink: The wind's never exceeded 11 miles an hour my entire stay there. To most kiters that would have been an epic disaster, the 21 again was the key. I got a chance to do some twin-tip time after trying to foil, silly massive jumps and just a really really good good time. :

Ivanpah was a big hit this year. I think we had close to a hundred people show up we also had a big blow cart competition going on at the same time. That resulted in a few let's say raised emotions. They have a geocaching type game that I have tried for four years to complete and this year I completed it, cold beer at the end yeehaw. With the loan of a buggy more suited for speed I hit a new personal best of 46 miles per hour again scary and exhilarating :lol: a quick shout out to all the people at IvanpahI thanks for all the teaching and lessons and time that you spend in both organizing and putting that great event together I wish more of you all would come out there and give it a whirl lots of extra buggies for people if you don't have one anyway I'm going to sign off here. Guys/girls takes care fly safe. :bye:
tracksapril2019.png

soplo
Rare Poster
Gear: A few Access foils
Kahoona 12
Rally 14, 15
Learning on a 6m WASP

Postby soplo » Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:02 pm

Yes, good day at BigMac, and great meeting PDCK. I didn’t cover nearly as much ground, but had fun and skied some nice snow. It was about as windy as I’d like for the kite I had (especially up top), and I wrapped up happy to leave in one piece after I heard it was gusting over by US Basin and seeing the wind increase through the day. Good times, for sure. Here’s a brief shot of some action (cut out at the prettiest part, but I didn’t want to turn my back on the kite). Not exactly documentary material, but PDCK making a few good turns in there:

@Anthony, inquiring minds (like PDCK, also building a foil) want to know: Do you have pictures of your foil online or do you have a build thread somewhere? That thing is beautiful — you gotta show it off!

ScottN
Rare Poster
Style: Snow kite
Gear: Ozone
Has thanked: 0

Postby ScottN » Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:24 pm

I am going to Snow Mesa Thursday the 18th any interest?

PDCK
Medium Poster
Gear: Ozone.
Epic.
Axis.
WH.

Postby PDCK » Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:01 am

Lil update on Miaramonte conditions.......it s full on liquid mode!!
Was fly fishing with a 3mm, and not even that cold! will still be wearing my 5mm for riding tho!
Some great SW wind in the next few days!
Screen Shot 2019-04-19 at 8.46.53 PM.jpg
8)

PDCK
Medium Poster
Gear: Ozone.
Epic.
Axis.
WH.

Postby PDCK » Wed May 01, 2019 1:02 am

Wind was on Sunday at Miramonte!
Nicely powered with WH 9m.
Near freezing water temp from mountain runoff.
Woot Woot! It s liquid season!
Screen Shot 2019-04-29 at 7.45.20 PM.jpg
IMG_1800.jpg
8)

Anthonyshopguy
Medium Poster
Favorite Beaches: Ivanpah CA, Metro Park MI, 6 Mile on lake Mohave NV. Daulpin island Al
Gear: 21m Flysurfer Soul, 17m LEI Cabrinha Contra, 13m Waroo LEI, 11 m foil Frenzy Ozone, 11m Lei Escape PL, 9m Lei Nemesis Best, 7m Lei Waroo, 6m foil apex HQ, 174 SB for the Pow, 169 split SB for the outback, Cabrinha 154 twin tip for the lake, 600 switchback Polaris to get me there, and why not add in a nice new big foot buggy for that once a year buggy blast at Ivanpah.

Postby Anthonyshopguy » Sat May 04, 2019 11:54 pm

So with the totally awesome snowfall last week all our wonderful mesa is virtually untracked. Hit it Wednesday with Justin and Todd and Friday by my lonesome. Super light but steady winds on Friday so I tried to video while trying to fly my 21. Give my self an A for effort and a C for quality but hey its vid. Snow is still really good. I know the rivers are coming up and the bike trails are drying out and some nut cases are kiting in 34 degree water:):) the above shall not be mentioned. But hey there is still awesome snow to be found. P_S More than happy to share any details about my foil. DYI was definitely time consuming but it;s a labor of love. Feel free to PM me your number and lets talk. :bye:

kitejumping
Medium Poster
Gear: Peter Lynn and Flysurfer kites

Postby kitejumping » Sat May 04, 2019 11:59 pm

Loveland pass is still excellent, that 21m looks fun.
Attachments
20190503_164947.jpg
These users thanked the author kitejumping for the post (total 2):
nate76 (Sun May 05, 2019 2:18 pm) • Anthonyshopguy (Tue May 07, 2019 7:11 pm)
Rating: 6.06%

ScottN
Rare Poster
Style: Snow kite
Gear: Ozone
Has thanked: 0

Postby ScottN » Tue May 07, 2019 2:55 am

Snow Mesa today, still plenty of snow and good wind. Looks like more new snow this week!
These users thanked the author ScottN for the post:
Anthonyshopguy (Thu May 09, 2019 6:34 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Anthonyshopguy
Medium Poster

Postby Anthonyshopguy » Tue May 07, 2019 7:11 pm

Scott I might be able to sneak away for a day this coming weekend. Do you want to try for it?

matthepp
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: RMP
Favorite Beaches: La Ventana
Kino Bay
Red Mountain Pass
Style: Rich
Gear: OR Flite 15m
OR Razor 12m
OR Prodigy 7m 9.5m
BD Carbon Megawatts
Slingshot Dwarfcraft/ Gamma 68
Brand Affiliation: Alpine Edge Engineering

Postby matthepp » Tue May 07, 2019 10:17 pm

Oh man, I wish I could get to Snow Mesa this weekend too. But since it'll be Mothers' Day, the big boss says that we shall be camping out at Rabbit Valley and biking. Ohhh, the dilemmas!

Return to “Snow / Land”