Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Local Beach: Colorado, Wyoming, Nebraska
Style: Doubtful.
Gear: LC Pelican, Gin Marabou/Shaman/Spirit
Brand Affiliation: Tom Bourdeau designs, Gin

Re: Kite-o-rado Snowkite Conditions

Postby nate76 » Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:30 pm

Whoah - Hoosier is actually looking pretty good! How is the base there?

rickythecat
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Local Beach: Dillon, Colorado ~ snow
Gear: CORE, EPIC
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby rickythecat » Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:34 pm

Coverage is good at Hoosier - foot or so of base. Clean riding.
Loveland, not as good. Just looked at my board - a few core shots. Won't hit that again til more snow.

Anthonyshopguy
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Grandmesa CO
Favorite Beaches: Ivanpah CA, Metro Park MI, 6 Mile on lake Mohave NV. Daulpin island Al
Style: Snow kiting, buggy, water
Gear: 21m Flysurfer Soul, 17m LEI Cabrinha Contra, 13m Waroo LEI, 11 m foil Frenzy Ozone, 11m Lei Escape PL, 9m Lei Nemesis Best, 7m Lei Waroo, 6m foil apex HQ, 174 SB for the Pow, 169 split SB for the outback, Cabrinha 154 twin tip for the lake, 600 switchback Polaris to get me there, and why not add in a nice new big foot buggy for that once a year buggy blast at Ivanpah.

Postby Anthonyshopguy » Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:09 am

IMG_20181106_161746265.jpg
Todd on his 10m Apex
Grand Mesa base solid. Some salon course skills required. Great session today very light winds but some good lifts on my 15m😎. Todd and I lit it up

Anthonyshopguy
Medium Poster
Favorite Beaches: Ivanpah CA, Metro Park MI, 6 Mile on lake Mohave NV. Daulpin island Al
Gear: 21m Flysurfer Soul, 17m LEI Cabrinha Contra, 13m Waroo LEI, 11 m foil Frenzy Ozone, 11m Lei Escape PL, 9m Lei Nemesis Best, 7m Lei Waroo, 6m foil apex HQ, 174 SB for the Pow, 169 split SB for the outback, Cabrinha 154 twin tip for the lake, 600 switchback Polaris to get me there, and why not add in a nice new big foot buggy for that once a year buggy blast at Ivanpah.

Postby Anthonyshopguy » Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:35 am

Forcast looks awesome for tomorrow. Who wants to meet on the Grand Mesa?

Zackbones
Rare Poster
Gear: Frenzy 7, Summit 12

Postby Zackbones » Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:49 pm

Have any of the Summit folks been to Hoosier Pass recently?

I'm wondering about snow coverage and wind-I've never been there.

Looks like plenty of wind today and tomorrow but maybe too much?! Is a west wind in this area usually crap?

My friend and I are considering hitting Hoosier or The Flat Tops on Saturday. We live in Carbondale so Hoosier is a much longer drive but we want to check it out.

I spent a lot of time exploring the Flat Tops last year from the east side. Access via the Dotsero exit on I-70. Obviously last year was a terrible snow year but we still had an amazing season on the FTs. Because of the high snowline we were able to drive a 4x4 up to 10k and then only an hour flat road skin in. On normal years a sled is needed or a much longer skin on the road. The area has incredible kiting and has huge potential for big distance. The views over Deep Creek are insane-you can kite right up to the edge of a huge canyon. It takes every wind direction and seems to be pretty reliable. It's mostly low bushes and few rocks on undulating terrain so it doesn't take much snow to fill it in. We would love it if any other kiters with backcountry experience and the appropriate gear want to join us up there or need info. It's worth the effort! Some lame videos can be seen on my instagram account @zaquesmyth

If we go to the FTs tomorrow I will report on snow and road conditions.

I hope everyone has a rad season it's starting out pretty good!
-Zack (970) 366 0968

matthepp
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: RMP
Favorite Beaches: La Ventana
Kino Bay
Red Mountain Pass
Style: Rich
Gear: OR Flite 15m
OR Razor 12m
OR Prodigy 7m 9.5m
BD Carbon Megawatts
Slingshot Dwarfcraft/ Gamma 68
Brand Affiliation: Alpine Edge Engineering

Postby matthepp » Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:59 pm

Zach, FTs sounds like a good mission. I've camped up there above Dotsero in the summer and remember thinking that the kite potential seems great. Pencil me in for a backcountry outing (but I don't have a sled). Cheers, Matt

nate76
Medium Poster

Postby nate76 » Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:02 am

Hey Zack, Flat Tops look it has a lot of potential. So are you approaching from the S side of Deep Creek?

I might be checking out Hoosier Pass with a couple of buddies tomorrow - will let you know how it goes if I do...

JamesB
Rare Poster
Gear: North and Ion
Brand Affiliation: North
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby JamesB » Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:16 am

A handful of us have hit Flat Tops a couple times a year via sleds (or Timbersled snowbikes). It's a haul from Denver so we usually stay in Eagle and do a two day adventure. Back by Crane Park and beyond is like Zack says... you can hit different aspects from whatever wind direction. The views are phenomenal on bluebird days. And the motorized riding is off the hook. So much terrain and mostly safe because we aren't hitting anything real steep.

South of Aspen mountain is even better than Flat Tops because of bigger pitches, more open fetch (cleaner wind) and less trees. I've been wanting to get back there for quite a few years because it's probably the best spot in Colorado. You can skin in for about 5 miles each way if you are willing. The Goodwin Green hut is a sweet place to stay if you can get it booked. Might have openings midweek. Or just stay in town, for those of us that aren't local.

I've been wanting to kite Grand Mesa for years too, but haven't put together a trip. If anyone has sleds and wants to put together an epic adventure, let me know. I'd like to explore more than just the park and ride areas.

Feel free to post this kind of stuff on the Facebook page Colorado Kiteboard Community Group as well.

Anthonyshopguy
Medium Poster

Postby Anthonyshopguy » Sun Nov 11, 2018 2:22 am

Have sled will travel always looking for new adventure. I've been training for skinning but have never been able to use it for a back country adventure. Getting older, sled is preferred, though the monster almost killed me last year. Full flip off machine onto a concrete floor, no helmet. Stars came out. No more needs be said the dam things are dangerous, loud, stinky, maintenance heavy, but very handy!! :cool2: As far as Grand Mesa is concerned it is strictly an easy park and ride, typically low winds with big kites needed. Though a sled can get you into areas that are very untouched. I'm game to take anybody around. I do have a RV for housing if anybody wants to come for a couple of days. Heck I can even be talked into dry camping at altitude to allow us more time on the slope. :-? Hit it both Today and last Thursday. Today had a freak morning wind that we were to slow to take advantage of. So got a few passes, worked out some kinks on a new board. But NEED MORE WIND. Maybe tomorrow. Trying again will be up there by 10:30 have to leave early for dinner party. :thumb:

nate76
Medium Poster

Postby nate76 » Sun Nov 11, 2018 5:58 am

Anthony, sounds like you are getting in some great kiting this year. Eventually I need to make it over there - thanks for your offers of hospitality.

Hit up Hoosier Pass today - snow wasn't great and pretty packed from the high winds the night before. There is a nice base forming though, especially for this early in the season, and it looks like they might be getting a few more inches tonight.

Return to “Snow / Land”