ScottN
Rare Poster
Style: Snow kite
Gear: Ozone
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: Kite-o-rado Snowkite Conditions

Postby ScottN » Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:45 pm

Saguache Park report Thursday: Loggers have plowed the forest service road almost to the top of Saguache Park (Salt House). Johnny and I drove about 2 miles in and decided to get turned around and go the rest of the way on the sled and Texas wheel chair. We found pretty good snow south and west of Salt House. Fun wind but not blowing as hard as it looked. Kevin came in after noon and took the following pictures and did a little sled necking. Great last day with Johnny before he heads back east.
Attachments
IMG_0817.JPG
IMG_0805.JPG
IMG_0784.JPG

PDCK
Medium Poster
Gear: Ozone.
Epic.
Axis.
WH.

Postby PDCK » Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:37 am

Scored another solid 2 hours on 8m UL today.......never believe the forecast! Haha
Looking very good tomorrow and Sunday.
7514D1F2-7ACF-44BC-87B2-AF22F5CACFB4.jpeg
45B022FE-AD69-4E98-92E7-286A70AAA7EC.jpeg

Anthonyshopguy
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Grandmesa CO
Favorite Beaches: Ivanpah CA, Metro Park MI, 6 Mile on lake Mohave NV. Daulpin island Al
Style: Snow kiting, buggy, water
Gear: 21m Flysurfer Soul, 17m LEI Cabrinha Contra, 13m Waroo LEI, 11 m foil Frenzy Ozone, 11m Lei Escape PL, 9m Lei Nemesis Best, 7m Lei Waroo, 6m foil apex HQ, 174 SB for the Pow, 169 split SB for the outback, Cabrinha 154 twin tip for the lake, 600 switchback Polaris to get me there, and why not add in a nice new big foot buggy for that once a year buggy blast at Ivanpah.

Postby Anthonyshopguy » Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:14 am

Headed out on machines today to check out some back areas of the Grand Mesa. Todd, Steve, Tom and myself, two snowmobiles, and the wind. Matt did say blowing like stink?? Well we called it by 3ish winds nuking! Tom got some good slashes at the beginning. Winds boarding on 20 mph. I blew up my 11m. Then ran back on the sled to Ski Scott and Todd back into our new area. Scott had some kite issues so it took him awhile to get going on his 7m peak¿?. Tom suggests winds dying put up your 15 so I gave Todd my 11 and blew up my 15. By the time I got my 15 inflated and my lines walked, the wind was picking up again and Todd opted to fly his 8m Apex. I ended up taking the 11 back and parking the 15. Good decision! Gusts so strong I set a new personal best on snow. 33 mph now I know people have gone faster. But for me 33 on snow was scary fun. Even had some crazy jumps 50' long maybe 1.5' in the air, did I mention it was BLOWING STINK!! When we called it it was blowing + 30's. We let Todd get a little more time on his 5m and headed back.
We went on a little side adventure on our way back. Convinced a strange valley lead to our favorite park and ride we followed it until we hit highway 65 over a mile from our park and ride. The punishment for our !little adventure?? I had to go up a 70' hill with at least 15' at 50 degrees+. Oh did I mention my sled hasn't been running quite right and I was pulling a sled with 8 Kites, backpack,pumps and other stuff. I did mention I was pulling Todd on skies! So close!!! I was sure I was going down! God smiled and some how us and everything else made it to the top and after some more roaming made it back to the parking lot. Miller time at least for Todd and myself. Strongest winds I've personally Kited on the Mesa. Shout out to Steve our newest Victim of the Breese. Hope we can get together again. :thumb: :bye:
IMG_20190210_222239.jpg
mesatrackfeb10.png

PDCK
Medium Poster
Epic.
Axis.
WH.

Postby PDCK » Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:09 pm

Yea, that was a strong day.
Had a full on 3 hours session on my 6m Flysurfer.
Snow wa s a bit hard on some spots but a lot of fun all together.
1BFFDE09-BD80-4FF6-89C7-E7FE5CF51DCB.jpeg

matthepp
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: RMP
Favorite Beaches: La Ventana
Kino Bay
Red Mountain Pass
Style: Rich
Gear: OR Flite 15m
OR Razor 12m
OR Prodigy 7m 9.5m
BD Carbon Megawatts
Slingshot Dwarfcraft/ Gamma 68
Brand Affiliation: Alpine Edge Engineering

Postby matthepp » Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:27 pm

I love seeing everyone's adventures, this is great! Mickey I'm jealous of those Miramaui shots. The planets have not aligned to get me over there yet.

I also got out Saturday with some fresh meat: Ezra just moved here from the Eastern Time Zone and is now officially a kiteskier after a successful albeit rowdy session at LH. Hopefully we can get his SO Julie out having a great time too!

Curiously, Crystal was light yesterday. Just enough to sled-tow the kids back and forth behind me a bit through nice soft powder.

PDCK
Medium Poster
Epic.
Axis.
WH.

Postby PDCK » Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:55 pm

Matt,
This is definitely an amazing spot with a lot of terrain. Only 8000’, so it needs some snow. But it is very reliable with S. I wish it would be that stable for water session.
Most of the times the snow has been blown off the ice, so I don t even try the reservoir itself.
Note: the Greager tract, north land of the reservoir, has special rules as a State Land, and will be closed to public from March 1st to protect wildlife. Very important to not break the rules and protect our spot.
With the hard south wind, the road gets quickly covered with snow patches, sometimes up to a foot, so heavy 4*4 needed to reach the reservoir.
79FA13C9-E6CB-4B52-A320-2AC51348C58A.jpeg
AC460095-EFEC-482B-B5CF-B5E62AA7F9D2.jpeg

br44
Frequent Poster
Gear: LEIs, foils

Postby br44 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:54 am

Does anyone know if Dillon reservoir is good at this time? Safe ice, decent snow cover?

Driving by this weekend. Am not aware of other spots easily accessible by car around I-70. Thanks.

chris country
Rare Poster

Postby chris country » Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:58 am

I have a friend in Montrose that just took a lesson there Sunday and he said about 7 people were out so yes, I would assume it's on. Get some!
These users thanked the author chris country for the post:
br44 (Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:54 am)
Rating: 3.03%

Steve in Gypsum
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Gear: Naish, Liquid Force, F-One, Cabrinha, Ozone, Flysurfer, HQ.

Postby Steve in Gypsum » Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:07 pm

br44, it looks like the wind will be from the north on Saturday, which means that the best kiting on Dillon Reservoir will be at the south end, between Frisco and Breckenridge. Ice, snow and wind conditions were good last weekend and with more snow this week, the lake should be good again this weekend.
These users thanked the author Steve in Gypsum for the post:
br44 (Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:54 am)
Rating: 3.03%

chris country
Rare Poster

Postby chris country » Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:57 pm

CPerkins and I scored nicely on the shores in South Park last friday. Snow was a little windswept and crusty but coverage on the hills around the valley was pretty good and this week is going to be better. I think there is a lot more terrain available out there to ride compared to Blue Mesa, Twin Lakes, and possible Dillon. The thing that area has going for it is smooth, consistent wind and the killer South Park views and I'm glad to add it to the small list of spots in Chaffee County to ride. The things it doesn't have going for it is the rare ability to get a bunch of snow and have it stay put instead of being swept away. This year it appears to be holding. We may be going back Wednesday if winds are favorable and I'll try to snap a few pics.
Last edited by chris country on Wed Feb 27, 2019 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Snow / Land”