Slingshot
- Crisis 140
Crazyfly
- LW 154
Ride Engine Harness
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Kite-o-rado Snowkite Conditions

Postby Digdawg » Mon Dec 30, 2019 6:23 am

Does anyone have the inside scoop for knowing if the wind at Rito Hondo it's happening? I've driven over there three times the past couple years. Once was awesome, once was ok and once was a no go..

ScottN
Rare Poster
Style: Snow kite
Gear: Ozone
Has thanked: 0

Postby ScottN » Mon Dec 30, 2019 3:48 pm

I get down that way a fair amount but usually go to Snow Mesa or Jarose Mesa. Usually if NOAA has a forecast of 15-20 you can be pretty sure of wind. I think I am going down there tomorrow, 10-15 forecast but the rest of the week look pretty rowdy. You are welcome to join me if you want.

Matteo V
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: US, Iowa/Nebraska/Kansas/Utah/Oregon Coast
Favorite Beaches: Ft. Stevens, North coast of Oregon
Style: Just like school in summertime
Gear: Delta Kites and LF Kitefish QuadMod
Snowboard (Cambered and Rockered)
Foil kites on the snow
Brand Affiliation: NONE F--- the corporate world

Postby Matteo V » Mon Dec 30, 2019 5:08 pm

Anthonyshopguy wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 2:57 am
Remember this is the tale of 2 kiters. Todd had some kind of miss connect on his lines and never went more than a couple of hundred feet. Tom and I both put in 10 miles plus no problem Todd put in 100' and struggled all day. He is ready to quite. Saying he wants to kite to relax not to get uptight. Well flying JUNK can lead to frustration. Lesson learned I'm going to bring some smaller LEI's that fly well that should help with his anxiety for size. And I'm going to spend time with him until he feels comfortable.
I agree, the Apex (1, 2, 3, & 4) were the biggest (and longest) mistake that HQ ever made. They made lots of potential customers think that HQ was all junk (not true). In the larger sizes, those kites are useless compared to even some bad LEI and foils made well before the Apex. And actually, I would rate those versions of the Apex as on par with 2002 depower foil technology - 1st'ish gen that almost worked, or was slightly better than a non-depower kite. I would love to know the real story as to how/why HQ could have a better kite in the Montana (5,6,7) than the Ozone Frenzy ever was, but not adequately update the Apex to actually compete, even in a tiny way, with the Ozone Access. Seriously, there has to be a story there.

Can the smaller sizes be used for something??? Yes, they can be used to teach the full range of depower LEI and depower foil kite capabilities. Given that these Apex versions punish you for doing the slightest thing wrong, and they only work when you do every single little thing right, the feedback on what you do is instantaneous and absolute. Most kiters nowadays, have never had the "pleasure" of learning on a non-depower foil, 1st gen foil, or C-kite. And it is hard to blame them.

But thanks for putting in your time and sharing the stoke with this guy. Let him know that he can use the Apexs he has, but he will never get that relaxed lazy ride that you get with most modern kites. And also beware, there are some other kites out there that are completely wrong for him too. While most kites of the last 8 years will be measurably better than any Apex (1-4), some are more geared toward easy riding than others. This easy going property can be had in beginners and sometimes even advanced kites.

Happy snowkiting, and I am headed out west to get some myself as the Midwest is not doing what I was hoping it would this year. At leas not yet.
Last edited by Matteo V on Mon Dec 30, 2019 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Digdawg
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Snowkite:
Lemon Reservoir, Durango
Rito Hondo, Creede
Favorite Beaches: Key West
Outer Banks
CorpUs Christi
Style: Freeride
Gear: Ocean Rodeo
- Flite 12m, 14.5m & 17m
- Mako 150 & 160
Ozone
- Frenzy 14m
Epic
- Renegade 7m
Slingshot
- Crisis 140
Crazyfly
- LW 154
Ride Engine Harness

Postby Digdawg » Mon Dec 30, 2019 5:28 pm

ScottN wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 3:48 pm
I get down that way a fair amount but usually go to Snow Mesa or Jarose Mesa. Usually if NOAA has a forecast of 15-20 you can be pretty sure of wind. I think I am going down there tomorrow, 10-15 forecast but the rest of the week look pretty rowdy. You are welcome to join me if you want.
Thanks, I'd love to but I'm stuck in Denver through tomorrow. Back down south from Wednesday on. I've never heard of Snow Mesa or Jarose Mesa. Do you access them with a snowmachine?

ScottN
Rare Poster
Style: Snow kite
Gear: Ozone

Postby ScottN » Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:51 pm

The trail head is at the top of Spring Creek pass, Go east to Snow Mesa about a 10-15 minute sled ride or 1-1/2 hour skin, west to Jarose Mesa about a 20-30 minute sled ride. Looks like the forecast backed off for tomorrow . Saturday and Sunday (4th and 5th) looks like the next sunny and windy day.
There are quite a few posts about Snow Mesa on this thread, check it out. Send me a number if you want me to call
These users thanked the author ScottN for the post:
Digdawg (Wed Jan 01, 2020 5:16 am)
Rating: 10%

mmclimbhigh
Rare Poster
Local Beach: MiraMaui
Style: Snowkite (Windsurf h2o)
Gear: Ozone Summit
Been thanked: 0

Postby mmclimbhigh » Tue Dec 31, 2019 4:20 pm

Christmas Eve conditions were good at Ironton. Michelle took the Ozone 8m out for it's virgin run. Steady S wind was fun while it lasted. You gotta love that venturi effect! We've picked up plenty of snow 'since then. I'm sure it's stellar up there. Just add wind!
IMG_3959.jpg
IMG_3961.jpg

PDCK
Medium Poster
Gear: Ozone.
Epic.
Axis.
WH.

Postby PDCK » Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:59 am

Lizard is loaded!!!!
Today was perfect NNE wind, powered on 15m for a few hours!
fullsizeoutput_15d1.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_15d3.jpeg

mmclimbhigh
Rare Poster
Local Beach: MiraMaui
Style: Snowkite (Windsurf h2o)
Gear: Ozone Summit
Been thanked: 0

Postby mmclimbhigh » Sat Jan 04, 2020 2:22 am

Great photos Mickey. Fun day indeed! Happy kiting in 2020 :)

Anthonyshopguy
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Grandmesa CO
Favorite Beaches: Lake Arena CR, Cocoa Beach FL, Ivanpah CA, Lake Meredith Tx, lake Huron Mi, Metro Park MI ** 6 Mile on lake Mohave NV.
Style: Snow kiting, buggy, water
Gear: 21m Flysurfer Soul, 17m LEI Cabrinha Contra, 15m LEI Slingshot Turbine, 13m Waroo LEI, 11 m foil Frenzy Ozone, 11m Lei Escape PL, 9m Lei Nemesis Best, 7m Lei Waroo, 6m foil apex HQ, 174 SB for the Pow, 169 split SB for the outback, Cabrinha 154 twin tip for the lake, 600 switchback Polaris to get me there, and why not add in a nice new big foot buggy for that once a year buggy blast at Ivanpah.

Postby Anthonyshopguy » Sat Jan 04, 2020 6:31 am

Grand Mesa proposal. Talked with the owner of Grand Mesa Lodge. He has several cabins that can sleep up to six or more depending on couples or singles. If we were willing to fill cabins to that quantity we would be looking at about $75 to $100 a person for three nights of stay for kiting on the Grand Mesa. That would cover rooms. With the possibility of renting additional snowmobiles plus my own to help with shuttle service would be in addition to the lodging. February is totally booked, March however looks very good. We're looking at March 12, 13th, and 14th, night's that would be a Thursday a Friday and a Saturday night with kiting on Thursday, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, depending on weather and wind. I would be looking for volunteers to help with the shuttles. From both the
Beginners area driving .5 mile and the kite lake area approximately 4 miles in on snowmobiles.
Please let me know if this works for you.

Steve in Gypsum
Rare Poster
Gear: Liquid Force, Blade, Best, Ozone, Flysurfer, HQ.

Postby Steve in Gypsum » Sat Jan 04, 2020 6:42 am

Anthony, I'll need to check my calendar at the office on Monday, but I think your Grand Mesa Lodge plan for March 12, 13 and 14 looks good for me. You can put me down tentatively for now. Thanks for organizing it.

Looks promising tomorrow at some of the places within my driving distance. I'll check the forecast in the morning and decide whether to go to the Grand Mesa, Dillon or Hartsel.

Return to “Snow / Land”