Brand Affiliation: None.

Ozone Snowkites Issue

Postby Toby » Fri Sep 25, 2015 11:49 am

Ozone News:

Ozone Snowkites Issue

IT'S SNOWTIME!
1 ozone.jpg
1 ozone.jpg (88.85 KiB) Viewed 6504 times
Before the ski resorts open, get your fresh powder lines in with an Ozone Snowkite.

New season's Snowkites and Videos out now.

Read More

ACCESS V6 - SAFE, EASY, RELIABLE
2 ozone.jpg
2 ozone.jpg (48.37 KiB) Viewed 6504 times
The Access V6 is our entry level De-power foil kite that has been designed to make the learning process of Snowkiting as safe and easy as possible.

Read More

FRENZY V10 - DO-IT-ALL POWER HOUSE
3 ozone.jpg
3 ozone.jpg (47.27 KiB) Viewed 6504 times
The Frenzy V10 is our do-it-all powerhouse De-power foil kite. This radical snowkite design combines the latest in foil kite and paraglide technology.

Read More

SUMMIT V3 - PUSH THE BOUNDARIES
4 ozone.jpg
4 ozone.jpg (48.39 KiB) Viewed 6504 times
The Summit V3 is an all out performance Snowkite for dedicated and experienced Snowkite riders.

Read More

[vimeo]http://www..vimeo.com/139377690[/vimeo]

CONNECT PRO HARNESS - DESIGNED FOR COMFORT, SUPPORT AND FLEXIBILITY OF USE
5 ozone.jpg
5 ozone.jpg (42.89 KiB) Viewed 6504 times
The Connect Pro harness is ideal for all snow or land kiters with the added support and ease of use of a Stainless Steel spreader bar.

Read More

CONNECT BACKCOUNTRY HARNESS - STRONG YET LIGHTWEIGHT CONSTRUCTION FOR BACKCOUNTRY TOURING
6 ozone.jpg
6 ozone.jpg (43.05 KiB) Viewed 6504 times
The Connect Backcountry harness has been designed for comfort and support while remaining clean, simple and lightweight.

Read More

NUTSHELL - PROTECT YOUR NUT
7 ozone.jpg
7 ozone.jpg (35.07 KiB) Viewed 6504 times
A full EPS impact foam liner provides shock absorption and is covered by an ABS shell to keep your nut safe.

Read More

-Daniel-
Rare Poster
Local Beach: I started kiting in 1998
Gear: Cabrinha & F-One
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Ozone Snowkites Issue

Postby -Daniel- » Wed Oct 07, 2015 2:38 pm

Hello / Salut... ;)

For the French kiters, who are interested to have some advices on Ozone kites in French, feel free to contact us.

You can as well find more details and prices on our OZONE website section.
http://www.surfshop.fr/17_ozone

All the content is in French ;)

mr moon
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shoreham (UK)
Favorite Beaches: Brandon Bay, Silver Sands & a few more
Style: Wave / Freeride
Gear: North, Firewire, Wainman, Ozone

Postby mr moon » Fri Nov 06, 2015 11:41 am

Hello there, I wonder if I can ask some advice.
I do purely backcountry and climbing on snow with an:
Access 6m, Frenzy 9m + 13m on a snow or split board.
Being at around 90Kg naked means a lot of weight including board, backpack with 2nd kite, showel, crampons etc.. not the lightest setup in fact!
I need to cover the lower end, as where I fly my main kite is the Frenzy 13.
On the Ozone range I only like Frenzy and Summit, but a 15m Summit won't make a big difference from my Frenzy 13m on the lower end..
What would be your advice?
Thanks!
:thumb:

Noahpz
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Big mtn snowkiting w/ lots of freestyle
Gear: Ozone Hyperlink V3 - 7,9,11,13. Ozone Chrono EXP 15m.
Brand Affiliation: Ozone

Postby Noahpz » Fri Nov 06, 2015 12:30 pm

Hey Mr. Moon, since you like the Frenzy, the kite that will make a difference on the low end is the new 14m Frenzy Ultralight.

You will be very satisfied with the performance of this wing. In the lightest of wind, it takes off the snow easily, generates quick power and flies like the performance wing that it is.

In addition to having performance cloth (weight savings of over a kilo), the intake on the leading edge is now open with paraglider style battens (Ozone patent, I believe), that improve inflation and light wind performance. The kite also has an improved internal baffle layout and Mylar reinforcing providing for improved airflow over the wing's surface.

Sure, care must be taken as it is ultralight cloth and does not have blowouts to relieve pressure in the event of a severe crash. However, the fun factor of this wing is worth it!

If you absolutely want bigger, a 15m Summit Ultralight will give you 2 extra square meters of wing, and a weight savings of over a kilo on your 13m. Again, the performance of the lighter cloth is superb.

Windy Regards, Noah

mr moon
Frequent Poster

Postby mr moon » Fri Nov 06, 2015 1:06 pm

Yo Noah, the ULs are very technical and lightweight and I can imagine in low winds you'll feel the difference.

I'm not sure though how much the weight gain will balance the higher aspect of the Summit compared to the Frenzy.

I've tried the Summit 15 (no UL) and in light winds seemed equivalent to my Frenzy 13. For the same logic I guess the Frenzy 14 UL should pull more at its low end than the Summit 15UL, but then won't fit to my set up: 6/9/13/ 14UL? Might need to change something!

Hardwater Kiter
Frequent Poster
Style: Rough and tumble
Gear: Ram air and single skin Foil kites. Long skis to truck, short skis to huck.
Brand Affiliation: www.hardwaterkiter.com Authorized retailers of Flysurfer. Ozone, HQ kites and Gin kites.

Postby Hardwater Kiter » Fri Nov 06, 2015 1:56 pm

There are a few options that come to mind but if you are set on Ozone only, and looking for better bottom end, with the ease of use that the Chrono 2 offers now I would consider it an option. Depending how low a wind range you want to operate in you could go either 15 or 18m. Both have a better low end than the Frenzy or Summit in the 14 and 15m sizes and would be more durable than those kite in the UL versions.

I would never have suggested the Chrono last year. I love flying the Chrono 1 but I think it could be problematic in alpine situations. But the new v.2 is really a great flying kite, super stable, easy and fun as hell.

Check out the difference in how the new Chrono launches compared to the original.

http://www.hardwaterkiter.com/ozone-chrono-v2.html

mr moon
Frequent Poster

Postby mr moon » Fri Nov 06, 2015 4:09 pm

impressive the difference between the 2 Chronos in launching... I wonder if the wind picked up when the V2 launched? :roll:

I've never even considered the Chrono for Alpine backcountry, it wouldn't be a climber in the bigger sizes and I wouldn't trust it in gusty conditions.

I've never been to mad for this kite.. too racy and too thin, probably very good in water and with hydrofoils but not my favourite cake on the mountains... I would like to try it though.

With the introduction of the R1, Ozone seems to be moving the Chrono more towards the Free world, now a Freerace... maybe one day will be a FreeRIDE and then we can talk! :wink:

JanneR
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Lahti, Finland
Favorite Beaches: Varanger Peninsula, Norway
Style: Oooold skool....:)
Gear: Elf kites Joker4/5 5.0, 5.8, 11, 16, 18, 19
Ozone Edge 5, 8, 11, 15, 19
Alpine foil 4.5 XLP wing & RX-V6 board
Race board with low quality fins

Postby JanneR » Fri Nov 06, 2015 4:48 pm

Mr. Moon: Chrono has been successfully used among Sonic and Elf Jokers on the Norwegian mountains in long distance kite racing. The races include ascents and descents of mountains also. Surely the slopes there are not equivalent to the French Alps or Rocky Mountains, but the kites perform very well in any normal wind conditions (3 to 25kts). Naturally a lower aspect ratio kite (summit / frenzy / access) can tolerate better unstable wind conditions, but the pure performance delivered by high aspect ratio makes me want to forget low aspect kites in all but strongest/most gusty conditions (25kt+).

Janne

Hardwater Kiter
Frequent Poster
Style: Rough and tumble
Gear: Ram air and single skin Foil kites. Long skis to truck, short skis to huck.
Brand Affiliation: www.hardwaterkiter.com Authorized retailers of Flysurfer. Ozone, HQ kites and Gin kites.

Postby Hardwater Kiter » Fri Nov 06, 2015 6:44 pm

Mr. Moon,

First, no the wind did not pick up. What we illustrated is the marked difference in inflation rate of the Higher AR Chrono 1 with the old intakes and the new lower AR Chrono v.2 with the new split intakes. The lower are and faster internal air pressure make the new Chrono, as you saw, launch much like an open cell foil. Ask anyone who's flown both and they will concur with what was shown in our video.

FWIW the R1 (which is more closely related to the Chrono 1 than the Chrono 2 is IMO) inflates just as fast and nearly as easily in spite of the 7.2 AR. :thumb:

Second, As JanneR stated, these high AR kites are proving themselves to be much more versatile than simply racing in steady winds. When we received our Chrono 1 demos last season I was skeptical. I assumed that much like the Elf kites I had race against a season or two earlier that they were going to be of limited use in our mountain and lake environment. I assumed that they would require constant attention, especially in our gusty conditions and would only be suitable for the rare smooth wind days. To my surprise they handled our gusty conditions amazingly well. And the depower range was better than expected. In a region where gust handlers like Access kites and Peaks tend to be the kite of choice the Chrono turned out to be very good. So good that I felt comfortable doing 100 mile tours with no back up wings on my back.

I never would have imagined. The Chrono became my GOTO for all day riding. With experience you can pretty much make that kite do anything. Even the bigger sizes will turn fast enough and tight enough to climb. Which at the beginning of last season I wouldn't have believed.

Now we have the V.2. Inflates better, tip curl gone in light winds. Turns fast, builds apparent like a fiend. Built out of the same way as the Summit, Frenzy and Access kites. Same materials, same bridles, same durability. And so far the gust handling even seem better. Not that the original was too much to handle, just could be a rougher ride than a lower AR wing.

If you want to stick with Ozone I think the V.2 is a perfectly reasonable option. And she is just sick fun to fly. Never mind the fact that its closed cell and water usable. 2 kites for one.

mr moon
Frequent Poster

Postby mr moon » Fri Nov 06, 2015 10:01 pm

I get your points, but the Chrono V1 didn't give me enough confidence when I tested it on light winds alpine mountains. Tip curl, instability on gusts (frequent stallings at low end) not to mention the turning radius of a 15m, not for climbing.

When I talk mountains, I mean climbing and cruising in a gusty environment at high altitudes...

Return to “Snow / Land”