Colorado State Parks

Forum for snow- and landkiters
CaptainArgh
Very Frequent Poster
Style: freeride, surf, slicks, dwindr exploring
Gear: SS RPM 6, SST 8/10 and Rally 12

Re: Colorado State Parks

Postby CaptainArgh » Tue Dec 29, 2015 10:54 pm

Sojourner, thanks for sharing and sorry you have to deal with this. As others have said, making connections with the park staff is your best bet...maybe even join up with another group who sees their access threatened or wants to open up more area.

We have had similar issues locally with water access which varies by park. At times an over-zealous or grumpy park ranger will enforce their own interpretations of the rules or even something that they had not been told to actively enforce. With minimal effort on your part you may find that the folks managing of the park will see reason and recognize it. You have a good case.

There is usually a quarterly meeting of whatever entity controls the parks. Ask for a chance to speak in advance of that meeting, and come to share information (not be defensive and confrontational) in your first appearance.

As someone noted, a legal fight will be time consuming, require more people and you may incur some expense, so start out with the polite approach. A few friendly faces who share your cause may help you reach the same goal...the park agreeing to let you stay out there pending any complaints or safety concerns. Good luck.

Sojourner
Medium Poster

Postby Sojourner » Wed Dec 30, 2015 4:25 am

Thanks to everyone for sharing your successful efforts including a great vid on an official State Park page! I'm going to let this sleep until I hear more. I hate seeing this thread killing the all the good stoke and photos.

FWIW, I've been in contact with the central administration. At the moment, the central office says its up to an individual park but the ranger told me it was a State wide regulation that he was required to enforce. Catch 22. Since its Christmas week, I think the CPW has a bare bones staff. Regarding my approach, I've actually been leaving the "K" word out of my inquiries. I believe tacking, jibing and controlled surface navigation is sailing with skis and isn't a violation.

My thought is that if there is some allowance from the CPW administration, then the local Park won't feel like they're defying the mother ship and risking their own standing.

(It was pretty funny when I was on the phone with one of the CPW administrators and she read: "Winter Activities
Ice boating is an unusual sport that is perfect for the lake's large frozen surface.. and cross country skiing (with snow on the ice)."
and she said "they're not letting you do that on skis?" and I said my sail looks like a paraglider, which is the cause of all the confusion. She then said she didn't see why there is a problem and sincerely said she'd do her best to get back to me.)

FrontRangeJeff
Rare Poster
Style: unfolded lawn chair maybe?
Gear: a couple Cabrinha's
a couple Switch's
some slingshot, Ocean Rodeo
Airush, Nobile, Trampa blah blah
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Postby FrontRangeJeff » Wed Dec 30, 2015 2:43 pm

Sojourner that is really promising sounding! Quite funny about the individual park/state wide issue...we really do just sort of fall into an abyss. Hopefully soon we can actually get some wind and a bunch of us should meet up somewhere.

Volock, sorry I never replied! I'll PM you my contact info for when you hit the state. I do get to southern Colorado from time to time so maybe calendars will find ourselves in the same region at the same time. My mother for a spell lived around Taos so I know the area reasonably well, would be awesome to kite around there. If you end up in Kiowa to visit your folks there are some spots nearby that if we get some snow can be fantastic.

Hope all have a good new years.
Jeff

NHKitesurfer
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: MA/NH
Gear: Switch & Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby NHKitesurfer » Wed Dec 30, 2015 3:36 pm

We've tried letter writing, attended meetings and even got a lot of positive press from local news outlets all to no avail. The people on the other side do well at giving you the run around and enjoy patronizing you, knowing they will never change their minds.

Good luck with your efforts and please keep us up to date.

Return to “Snow / Land”