Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

unbowtieing kite in ultra gust conditions tips?

Forum for snow- and landkiters
BOEMIX
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sant Pere Pescador (Spain)
Favorite Beaches: Etang de l'Eole, La Franqui (France)
Style: Freeriding
Gear: Kites: ozone: Flusurfer Soul15m, Flusurfer Peak 11m, Flysurfer Peak 8m, Ozone access 6m, Ozone Enduro 7 and 10m, Ozone Edge 13m,
Boards: Naish Bullet 5,4, Liewe Shotgun 138x41, Custom Saul 145x45, Custom Race TTBoard, Custom Rikyshapes foil board with Sabfoil.

For winging: Duotone 5'5 Aluula Unit, Takuma Ride3 5m, Cabrinha Mantis 4m, Slinshot 3'2, and also Custom Rikyshapes winging with Sabfoil as the biard/foil.
Brand Affiliation: None

unbowtieing kite in ultra gust conditions tips?

Postby BOEMIX » Sun Feb 07, 2016 8:38 am

Hi snowkiters.

I live in a relatively warmer country and the only chance to find snow is going very high in the mountains.

The problem is right there wind is a total shit. Can go from 10 to 40 knots in seconds and changing direction from time to time.

I use a 6m Ozone acces which is the most stable kite i ever used but still dificult to handle that crapy wind and bowtieing when a gust hit followed by a wind direction change.

Is any tip for unbowtieing the kite in that conditions?

Hardwater Kiter
Frequent Poster
Style: Rough and tumble
Gear: Ram air and single skin Foil kites. Long skis to truck, short skis to huck.
Brand Affiliation: www.hardwaterkiter.com Authorized retailers of Flysurfer. Ozone, HQ kites and Gin kites.

Re: unbowtieing kite in ultra gust conditions tips?

Postby Hardwater Kiter » Sun Feb 07, 2016 2:22 pm

What year is your access? Often, depending on the kite, if you pull a single line in to the point the others go slack the kite will flag and flutter. In the process the bowtie will shift to the end of the kite and untwist. You have a 50/50 chance of a line invert but the kite will be usable again.

This technique works less well with 5th line kites. If the bowtie has gone tight, this works less well also.

fernmanus
Very Frequent Poster

Postby fernmanus » Mon Feb 08, 2016 5:30 am

I love foil kites, but for the conditions you describe I would use a small inflatable kite. It is going to handle the gusts better. However, no kite is designed to handle those conditions.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Mon Feb 08, 2016 6:02 pm

so hard to unbowtie a kite, i always have to flag out and fix it by hand.

criznach
Medium Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby criznach » Mon Feb 08, 2016 7:21 pm

The flag out method described above has worked for me in the past but it's hit and miss. Once the kite lays out, carefully release the pulled line but keep the brake handle pulled tight. Then tease the kite up into a nearly-launched position. Check the bridles and lines. You don't want to try to relaunch with a bridle tangle or another wrapped line.

I do love foils and have a 12m summit for the money days, but on gusty days I really prefer an inflatable. I started with foils on snow and it took a few years of water practice to get comfortable with inflatables on snow, but it was worth it.

matthepp
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: RMP
Favorite Beaches: La Ventana
Kino Bay
Red Mountain Pass
Style: Rich
Gear: OR Flite 15m
OR Razor 12m
OR Prodigy 7m 9.5m
BD Carbon Megawatts
Slingshot Dwarfcraft/ Gamma 68
Brand Affiliation: Alpine Edge Engineering

Postby matthepp » Mon Feb 08, 2016 7:52 pm

+1 for tube kites in shitty winds.

BOEMIX
Frequent Poster
Gear: Kites: ozone: Flusurfer Soul15m, Flusurfer Peak 11m, Flysurfer Peak 8m, Ozone access 6m, Ozone Enduro 7 and 10m, Ozone Edge 13m,
Boards: Naish Bullet 5,4, Liewe Shotgun 138x41, Custom Saul 145x45, Custom Race TTBoard, Custom Rikyshapes foil board with Sabfoil.

For winging: Duotone 5'5 Aluula Unit, Takuma Ride3 5m, Cabrinha Mantis 4m, Slinshot 3'2, and also Custom Rikyshapes winging with Sabfoil as the biard/foil.

Postby BOEMIX » Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:08 pm

Thanks for the replies.

Mine is a 2014 5th line model but i would try it anyway.

I also thought going inflatable but in the place i kite there are some objects like rocks and signs where kite could crash and acces are stronger enough (at least since now) to resist that. Also i need to do a big walk to reach the kiteable spot so with access i don't need the pump.

And after doing that odissey to reach the kite spot then the wind is a total shit 90% of the times (only 1 day of stady 15 knots versus 9 of 10-40) so I'm trying to get used to that wind if it is possible because actually is kite in shit conditions or no kite at all.

fernmanus
Very Frequent Poster

Postby fernmanus » Tue Feb 09, 2016 3:59 am

I have kited in similar winds on the water with a 9m inflatable. One second your kite is falling out of the sky, the next you are getting your arms ripped out of your sockets. Perhaps, you should consider ski touring instead of kiting in these type of conditions.

geopeck
Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby geopeck » Tue Feb 09, 2016 6:52 pm

Just go home and try to learn something from it. If it's truly going to be ranging from 10 to 40 then you'll have no confidence in the power feed, no confidence in jumping, no fun even if you learn to unbowtie the kite from the bar end because it's going to bowtie again in 5 minutes.

I would be looking at your spot if it's like that all the time - is the bad wind the result of terrain effects or are you riding on low pressure that has built in gusts and lulls? If it's terrain effects they might settle down when the wind is lighter, if it is bad wind then look for a wind direction that works. Has it ever been good there for you? If it's always like that then it isn't a snowkite spot.

I always take a set of touring skis with me when I go snowkiting, if the wind is bad go glide around.

BOEMIX
Frequent Poster

Postby BOEMIX » Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:04 pm

Here is a pic from the spot, judge yourself.

For me it looks like a good spot but maybe just because i have never been in a good snowkite spot
Attachments
PICT0136.jpg

Return to “Snow / Land”