Rare Poster
Local Beach: Seattle
Gear: crazyfly
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Kite Specific Snowboards?

Postby ChadBrooks » Tue Dec 27, 2016 7:33 am

What do you all think about kite specific snowboards? Do people use them? I've been riding my standard snowboard for a bit and feel like I can't ever just go straight.

windrider1
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: FLYSURFER, HQ KITES, OZONE KITES

Re: Kite Specific Snowboards?

Postby windrider1 » Tue Dec 27, 2016 5:23 pm

ive seen a video of a guy snowkiting with a snowboard with rotating bindings that allowed u to alot of free movement im not sure what the name was but um sure it would help snowkiters. look up swivel bindings.
ChadBrooks wrote:What do you all think about kite specific snowboards? Do people use them? I've been riding my standard snowboard for a bit and feel like I can't ever just go straight.

Da Yoda
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Style: Strapless Freestyle, Wave, Freeride
Gear: Handmade Surfboards

Postby Da Yoda » Tue Dec 27, 2016 11:14 pm

ChadBrooks wrote:I've been riding my standard snowboard for a bit and feel like I can't ever just go straight.
It's all about the sidecut. Most snowboards are spec'ed with sidecut radiuses around 7-9 meters. In order to track straighter, you need less sidecut.
Nobile's RC2000 race kite snowboard offers the least amount of sidecut at 80m radius. Their NHP kite snowboard has a more versatile 20m radius.
ABoards' Escape/Reverse give no reference to their sidecut radius. They just call it "dynamic".
DeCosse Customs' Tantrum is 9.8m.

In contrast Cabrinha's Empire kite snowboard (discontinued) had a 8.6/7.7/8.6 radius.
The LF/DeCosse Alliance kite snowboard (discontinued) had a 9m radius.
Not sure what the Best kite snowboard radius was, but it looked more traditional as well.

I've found some production snowboards with 9-10m sidecuts, but they're rare. I'm currently on a K2 freeride snowboard with an 8m radius and I can make it work ok, but would prefer something a with a little more radius. I also prefer a continuous radius sidecut vs. the progressive radius like the Cabrinha had.
I also like a wider board for snowkiting since carving performance is not as necessary. Going wider helps prevent my boots from hanging up, especially in deeper snow, which assists with better tracking. :thumb:

vindsportknut
Medium Poster

Postby vindsportknut » Wed Dec 28, 2016 12:54 am

Agree that sidecut and width is essential. In my environment splitboards is a need there are even less options as real bidirectional is a must. I'm riding a Voile palindrome, and am sorry that I didn't go for the widest and a little longer. But it's working.

mountainkiter
Rare Poster

Postby mountainkiter » Wed Dec 28, 2016 6:19 pm

The twisted kiteboard has positive rocker an d positive sidecut and in the powder rides very much like a twintip. I really like mine. You can still find some available. Not too great on ice though. Would have to be custom.

fernmanus
Very Frequent Poster

Postby fernmanus » Sat Dec 31, 2016 7:00 am

Skis are the best bet on hardpack, they are just so much more comfortable on hard or bumpy snow. If you can get your hands on a 3BB board, it is a far better board than a twisted in the powder.

Return to “Snow / Land”