Get a Pansh

uncool
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: recommendation snow kite

Postby uncool » Sat Sep 08, 2018 5:52 pm

Woah. Pansh really prices well. Which size do you recommend?

qwertyjjj
Rare Poster
Gear: Na

Postby qwertyjjj » Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:02 pm

foilholio wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 12:23 pm
Get a Pansh
Blaze 3?
I've heard mixed reviews about the II.
I heard they sometimes need tuning, sometimes not.

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils

Postby foilholio » Sun Sep 09, 2018 3:09 pm

Blaze 2 is very old now. Blaze 3 looks really good. But I have never tried it. Smaller size is very cheap maybe start with that. Otherwise A15 is an excellent kite. Just remember if a small kite lofts you over hard ground it drops you hard and you will be lucky to not die. Powder needs similar power to water so you might end up wanting a 15m.

I just see Pansh has updated the Genesis, that would be a good option too.

qwertyjjj
Rare Poster

Postby qwertyjjj » Sun Sep 09, 2018 5:54 pm

foilholio wrote:
Sun Sep 09, 2018 3:09 pm
Blaze 2 is very old now. Blaze 3 looks really good. But I have never tried it. Smaller size is very cheap maybe start with that. Otherwise A15 is an excellent kite. Just remember if a small kite lofts you over hard ground it drops you hard and you will be lucky to not die. Powder needs similar power to water so you might end up wanting a 15m.

I just see Pansh has updated the Genesis, that would be a good option too.
Isn't that why you should start with a small kite instead of a 15m? The 15m is more likely to loft me if I do something odd or out of control...

kitexpert
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: many kites, also diy

Postby kitexpert » Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:38 pm

To not get lofted you should use some sense in which conditions you are going to kite. 15m kite becomes very hard to use before there is much risk to get lofted, much more probably it will just drag you downwind and make your legs gone.

Genesis is ok kite for a beginner, to get lofted with it is difficult if not foolishly overpowered. On the other hand it is a slow kite with poor boosting ability. You should be prepared to make some adjustment to it as well, but it is not that difficult. Quality of workmanship and materials are mostly acceptable with Pansh.

Blaze3 is of higher performance (by its design) than Genesis but it has primitive bridle. With many Pansh kites there is some weird details or "partially" designed constructions. Some things are however quite well designed and of high level, for example miniribs, double air intakes and some internal structures.

Compared to snow kites like Access and Frenzy (which are not high performance kites) Pansh kites of similar design are not competitive. But to learn kiting and to travel longer distances they are usable, for jumping and difficult conditions not so much.

zob
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Grado Pineta (IT), Fossalon (IT)
Style: Freeride, strapless hooked-in
Gear: FS S3 19m2 DLX, S3 CE 12m2 DLX & S4 8m2 DLX
Homemade Surf & Snow Boards
MBS Pro90

Postby zob » Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:44 pm

I am about 190 lbs and built my quiver starting with 19 m2 (can hold it up to 20 knots), than I got a 12 m2 and finally 8 m2. Today my second quiver is 18, 13 and 9 m2. This are all closed cell foils. Open cell foils are a bit stronger.
But it depends on wind conditions where you ride. I am comfortable up to 35 knots with the smallest kite. I am not sure I have ever used a small kite on snow, and I travel a lot for snowkiting (Norway, Turkey, Romania,...)

qwertyjjj
Rare Poster

Postby qwertyjjj » Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:58 pm

FLandOBX wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 1:38 am
jakemoore wrote:
Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:49 pm
Maybe people are put off by the word “trainer.”
I have found this to be true. So I try to use the term "power kite" instead of "trainer kite". A 2-line 3 m power kite will give you plenty of pull in a good wind. I've used a 3 m to scream around fields and beaches in a kite buggy. On snow, power kites will be lots of fun.
Most 3m trainers seem to be 3 lines yet the bigger kites are 5 lines.
So, stupid question but what am I missing out on learning if I start with a trainer? I assume it's the 2 back lines that I wouldn;t learn until moving onto a bigger kite?

Mossy 757
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: First Landing State Park, Virginia Beach Oceanfront
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Delta Hydrofoil and board. Cabrinha Velocity 9m, Flysurfer Sonic2 11m, Ozone R1V2 15m

Postby Mossy 757 » Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:32 pm

Best snow kite on the market is an Elf Joker 7 15m. I know someone selling one lightly used for very cheap... :lol:

FLandOBX
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Weight: 81 kg
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, North Carolina, USA
Central Florida, USA
Style: Freeride, Airstyle, Hydrofoil
Gear: Cab. Apollos, Cab. Contra One-Struts, FS Speed 4, FS Souls, Axis Ltd 132, RRD Poison 135, SS Ankle Biter, Moses 633, 679 & 590, SS Dwarfcraft 100cm, LF Galaxy 4'2"

Postby FLandOBX » Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:37 pm

qwertyjjj wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:58 pm
Most 3m trainers seem to be 3 lines yet the bigger kites are 5 lines.
So, stupid question but what am I missing out on learning if I start with a trainer? I assume it's the 2 back lines that I wouldn;t learn until moving onto a bigger kite?
Yes. More specifically, your 2 or 3 line "trainer" kite will not be "sheetable". In other words, you won't have a chicken loop that hooks to a harness and you won't be able to de-power the kite when you push the bar out. On a 4-5 line sheetable kite, pushing the bar out changes the kite's pitch by lengthening the 2 back lines and dumping power out the back. Pulling the bar in shortens the 2 back lines so that the kite gains power. With a trainer kite, you won't have this feature.

Return to “Snow / Land”