-Artic rider
Rare Poster
Style: Freeride
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Solutions for straples riding / using surf style board

Postby -Artic rider » Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:44 pm

Hello fellow riders!

It happens sometimes that even where I live we get desent amount of fresh powder on our lakes. I normally use basic twin tip with long radius to snokite but sometimes it feels more fun to go out with my pow specific snowboard wich is no good for switch stance riding. It would be great to ride it less stricted and two possibilities I can think off would be:

1. Get a rope slider system in my harness and be ok when riding toeside for a long time.
2. To build somekind of plate that could be screwed on top of the board (ofcourse I would take bindings away before that) and it would be possible to gype and have strapless fun.

Have you descovered any good solutions that work?

Lets hope that everybody get some good snowfall soon!

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Re: Solutions for straples riding / using surf style board

Postby plummet » Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:39 am

Slap down some sup deck grip and bolt your bindings over top of it. Then take the bindings off and go strapless on the sup deck grip.

Matteo V
Been thanked: 0

Postby Matteo V » Mon Nov 26, 2018 6:10 pm

I have had the same thought. But there are some big, and little issues with it.

If you watch the vid, at 1:55 you can see the hooks that make this much more viable for kiting. But I am thinking of a modified hook that would allow you to jibe.

https://vimeo.com/104746104

So here are my concerns:

1. No metal edges - bad for icy sections for grip AND wear on the non-metal edges.
2. The leash may not be needed on a flat lake, but on any terrain (even gentle), it would be an absolute necessity.
3. Then being leashed to the board, with a thin small edge to concentrate the forces, could be a pretty bad combo for your health.

The above may be the main reasons why I have never seen this type of board, even with the time I spend at some of the snowkiting "Mecca's" in the US. But I am sure there are some other issues too.

Good luck and let us know what you do.

Hardwater Kiter
Frequent Poster
Style: Rough and tumble
Gear: Ram air and single skin Foil kites. Long skis to truck, short skis to huck.
Brand Affiliation: www.hardwaterkiter.com Authorized retailers of Flysurfer. Ozone, HQ kites and Gin kites.

Postby Hardwater Kiter » Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:49 pm

zerogee_ca
Very Frequent Poster

Postby zerogee_ca » Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:58 pm

Glaucomys
Rare Poster
Gear: Various

Postby Glaucomys » Tue Nov 27, 2018 5:36 pm

The above video is not mine.

A bideck snowskate is like a skateboard deck mounted above a mini snowboard. There are powder specific models. I have a chillerdeck and use it in flats with out a leash. It's pretty cool to be strapless on snow.

For icey or crusty conditions it is not good, not much leverage or control over the edges with out any bindings.

Its a Powder toy.

geopeck
Frequent Poster

Postby geopeck » Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:43 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_RdSEIhaRY

The above video is not mine.

A bideck snowskate is like a skateboard deck mounted above a mini snowboard. There are powder specific models. I have a chillerdeck and use it in flats with out a leash. It's pretty cool to be strapless on snow.

For icey or crusty conditions it is not good, not much leverage or control over the edges with out any bindings.

Its a Powder toy.
I built something like this but bigger, it works pretty well in icy conditions.

My first build was on a 155 snowboard, that was too big, the second was on a 125ish and it was more managable. I sized the deck widthwise so that it wouldn't drag when it was leaning over about 30 degrees. I lammed two pieces of 1/4 inch ply together and pressed them to get some concave, then shellacked a little sand onto the surface for grip.

I don't use it much, it has kind of limited application I think mostly based on snow conditions. In southcentral AK we have lots of thaws through the winter, with some big dumps of various weights, and when I took it out in mid to heavy snow it would load up between the boards. That issue may be addressable thru the right wax or hydrophobic coating but even in non-loading snow I thought it was a little difficult to square the kite pull and the edge to edge riding. Easy to ride a standard heel side or toe side line but when carving the board downwind there was a big unpleasant loss of balance when you're not balancing a lot of weight against the kite yet not able to direct the board well, as you are losing a bit of fine control to kite pull.

The one environment where it was pretty cool was the local lake, which is sea level and doesn't hold good snow for very long. Whenever there is snow the local kids rally every square inch in trucks and snow machines leaving a shit surface which then hardens. Strapless with a bideck on that surface is one of the best options. The combined flex of the two decks buffers the chatter so it's more comfortable at speed than a regular snowboard, also you can shift weight to focus on just the bit of edge that is really working well for you. Heelside to toeside turns are gratifying, riding toeside becomes easy. Sharp edges are important. Gybes are easy and similar to a surfboard on the water, if a guy was into doing tack variations it would be fun.

In the big picture the board doesn't allow for big laid out turns at speed or fast cuts through terrain which is why I ride. Now I skip the lake and head for the hills strapped either on a traditional snowboard or reverse camber reverse sidecut board.

-Artic rider
Rare Poster
Style: Freeride

Postby -Artic rider » Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:10 pm

Intersting solutions and thoughts, thank you for sharing your ideas and experienses to everybody on this topic. I still think there could be something new to be discovered that could be ”solution” to make riding directionals (or powder style swallowrale type boards) to work nicely on different snow conditions (exept icy condition).
Something like this perhaps:

https://holvi.com/shop/powderplates/pro ... d504d1fd2/

or maybe some shaped foam (thicker than surfboard pad) foam glued on thin plywood plate. Then drill holes to match with snowboards inserts. Then you could screw bindings of and put this setup on the board. Maybe it could be possible to add loose surfboard straps or foot hooks on it too to get more pressure on edges.

Or maybe it’s just pure fantasy that sounds intersting but doesn’t work good in real life :)

There is too much time to have crazy thoughts while waiting for winter in this bitter darkeness in Finland...

Return to “Snow / Land”