Style: Skimboarding, flat water & small waves
Gear: Ozone Chrono 18m (V1)
Ozone R1 15m (V1)
Ozone Chrono 12m (V1)
Peter Lynn Nova 10m (V1)
Peter Lynn Nova 8m (V2)
Zap ACE - Skimboard
DB Sandfish - Skimboard
DIY Kite Parts - Many sewing machines :-)

Re: old blades and old flysurfers

Postby mgs » Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:37 pm

slide wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 3:01 pm
if you are confident you will find blades great for kitesurfing , I have seen it done on handles , just don't drop it , I saw mark everit kitesurfing on a blade3 4.9 and he was not really a kite surfer, he was a buggy flyer , and he was going great guns, but it is the same on a depower foil, just don't drop it, but an open foil will fill up with water very quick , a closed foil not so much
Myself as well as a number of other kitesurfers I know all started out using Blades for kitesurfing.
Coming from a kiting background,(recreational kite flying, buggying and landboarding) all helped when making the transition to kitesurfing.
The blade had 2 lines, fixed power and open cell with little chance of being water re-launched,it was a steep learning curve but great fun.
Kite position and board control being key. Had plenty of wipe outs but always knew where the kite was and kept it out of the water.
The blade 3 (6.6m & 8.5m) being my favourite size kites. Bridle stretch was poor, the "A'" bridles suffered big time. I learnt how to tune them as well making new bridles.
These users thanked the author mgs for the post:
slide (Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:50 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

windrider1
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: FLYSURFER, HQ KITES, OZONE KITES
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby windrider1 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:15 pm

Only real kiters could handle flexifoil blades back in the day. The 4.9 was called the widow maker for a reason.lol . The power and lift per square meter was great because it was explosive and raw, They dont make kites like this anymore . would like to try kitesurfing on a blade one day im sure they fun on in steady winds.
These users thanked the author windrider1 for the post:

andylc
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Exmouth
Favorite Beaches: Saunton Sands
Gear: Reedin Supermodel V3 7,9,11m, Duotone Juice 13m
Saul Custom Wave Board 138cm
Nomad Superleggera LW 142cm

Postby andylc » Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:16 pm

Blade 3 4.9 was what got me into kiting. Mucking about in decent winds you could do some downright scary jumps with that thing...
These users thanked the author andylc for the post:
slide (Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:49 pm)

mgs
Frequent Poster
Style: Skimboarding, flat water & small waves
Gear: Ozone Chrono 18m (V1)
Ozone R1 15m (V1)
Ozone Chrono 12m (V1)
Peter Lynn Nova 10m (V1)
Peter Lynn Nova 8m (V2)
Zap ACE - Skimboard
DB Sandfish - Skimboard
DIY Kite Parts - Many sewing machines :-)

Postby mgs » Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:59 pm

I also had the B2 6.4m as well as the B2 7.8m with the Flexifoil crossover system to increase the turning speed.
Andrew Jones being the designer who has since retired from Flexifoil sometime ago.
My first power kite was the Flexifoil Super 10 that cost around £150 that included lines with padded handles and still have it today.
These users thanked the author mgs for the post:

slide
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Weight: 75kg,now a bit less
Local Beach: Brancaster Norfolk 46 miles- just need a hard beach
Favorite Beaches: mablephorpe , cleephorpes uk-just need a hard beach
Style: landboarding with a petzl work harness
Gear: old blades and old flysurfer's , ckb/dex carbon landboards, modified airdeck and a home made snow board with barrel wheels ,soul's , spd5's. over 30ish old blades all set up to go ,i like a bit of old skool

Postby slide » Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:25 pm

mgs wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:37 pm
slide wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 3:01 pm
if you are confident you will find blades great for kitesurfing , I have seen it done on handles , just don't drop it , I saw mark everit kitesurfing on a blade3 4.9 and he was not really a kite surfer, he was a buggy flyer , and he was going great guns, but it is the same on a depower foil, just don't drop it, but an open foil will fill up with water very quick , a closed foil not so much
Myself as well as a number of other kitesurfers I know all started out using Blades for kitesurfing.
Coming from a kiting background,(recreational kite flying, buggying and landboarding) all helped when making the transition to kitesurfing.
The blade had 2 lines, fixed power and open cell with little chance of being water re-launched,it was a steep learning curve but great fun.
Kite position and board control being key. Had plenty of wipe outs but always knew where the kite was and kept it out of the water.
The blade 3 (6.6m & 8.5m) being my favourite size kites. Bridle stretch was poor, the "A'" bridles suffered big time. I learnt how to tune them as well making new bridles.
hi there ,yes i just brought another b3 6,6 in good nick, a green one and like my purple one i added 25 mm on the c bridle, It didn't need it yet as it had never been flown hard or properly as when I took it up to the field to test when I first got it just before Christmas, it would have never flown properly how the previous owner had it set up as the brakes were far too tight -I like to have brakes a bit loose to allow the kite to breathe freely and get all the speed available out of it and add a little bit on the turn- i have a b3 8,5 too and i added 30 mm on that one , i had a 10.5 and added 35 mm on that one - the need for the stretch mod on the 10.5 became very apparent quite quickly , as ibrought it new and flew on handles in a roller harness, and it became reluctant to take off -a and b stretch after heavy flying jumping , and i copied what the gravity renegages crew did , and later andrew jones designed the stretch kit , which worked in increments on a , b , and c, but i prefered just adding to the c bridle which seemed to make the kite quicker
...and what a glide machine the blade 3's are , where the b4's and onward lost that

Return to “Snow / Land”