Juneau, AK

Forum for snow- and landkiters
lewmt
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mtns
Brand Affiliation: None

Juneau, AK

Postby lewmt » Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:30 pm

There's a chance I'll be working out of Juneau soon with 2 week on/2off schedule. Really hoping to spend time exploring the various icefields & areas near Juneau. I know its vast & the scale is beyond anything I can imagine .... yet. Typically does a person fly in & get dropped off? I've read a bit of info from locals web sites but most seems old & dated. Are there many active kiters in the area? Any info & contact info greatly appreciated

geopeck
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Juneau, AK

Postby geopeck » Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:47 am

Look up Bill Glude on facebook or maybe online, he instructs and guides down there. I only know him as friend of other friends but I'm sure he's a good guy. I think the riding close to town is going to be marginal as it's at sea level and you won't have access to good treeless terrain high up, but there are some lakes in passes outside skagway that are excellent, lots of big terrain. It will take a ferry ride.

I had a kiter friend who wintered there a few times, he said that the area under the mendenhall glacier had potential but it's going to be hit and miss, winters are too warm for good winter sports there.

Return to “Snow / Land”