These users thanked the author PeterMiller for the post:
kite_hh (Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:02 am)
Rating: 3.03%

Matteo V
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Strawberry Utah View Area

Postby Matteo V » Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:16 am

Nice! Light wind up here at skyline today. Had to hike up aways on bosco to ride big foils. Then had to snowboard down without a kite at sundown.

Had a chance to use a pansh a15. Not very quick turning, but super efficient and made riding possible at a windspeed you could outwalk. Impressed!

matthepp
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: RMP
Favorite Beaches: La Ventana
Kino Bay
Red Mountain Pass
Style: Rich
Gear: OR Flite 15m
OR Razor 12m
OR Prodigy 7m 9.5m
BD Carbon Megawatts
Slingshot Dwarfcraft/ Gamma 68
Brand Affiliation: Alpine Edge Engineering

Postby matthepp » Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:31 pm

Looking good guys! I'm considering heading west this weekend Feb1-2 for an invasion. I know, I know, I'll miss the superbowl, how unamerican. Can anyone help out with a recommendation for the forecast? Strawberry or Skyline or both? 4wd needed based on the snowfall? Would love to hook up with the locals to go exploring.
Cheers, Matt 970 318 1469

Anthonyshopguy
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Grandmesa CO
Favorite Beaches: Ivanpah CA, Metro Park MI, 6 Mile on lake Mohave NV. Daulpin island Al
Style: Snow kiting, buggy, water
Gear: 21m Flysurfer Soul, 17m LEI Cabrinha Contra, 13m Waroo LEI, 11 m foil Frenzy Ozone, 11m Lei Escape PL, 9m Lei Nemesis Best, 7m Lei Waroo, 6m foil apex HQ, 174 SB for the Pow, 169 split SB for the outback, Cabrinha 154 twin tip for the lake, 600 switchback Polaris to get me there, and why not add in a nice new big foot buggy for that once a year buggy blast at Ivanpah.
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Anthonyshopguy » Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:01 am

Count me in!

fernmanus
Very Frequent Poster

Postby fernmanus » Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:25 am

We have a nice looking storm that arrives on Saturday. It looks like there is a good chance of Skyline whiting out on Saturday with 2 to 4” in the forecast. I would place my bet for riding at Strawberry Marina or Ladders on Saturday. Saturday night promises a good powder dump at Skyline and Strawberry. On Sunday, Skyline might clear, but Strawberry is far more likely to clear and it could be outstanding in the afternoon if the storm clears out. Monday could be epic at either location. Another storm is forecasted for Monday night, but right now it does not look as big as Saturday’s storm.

The risk you take this weekend is not a lack of snow or wind, it is possible whiteout. Fortunately, right now it looks like the brunt of the storm will be Saturday night. Plows will be wanting to clear out the snow, so camping in the lot is not an option. Best bet is the Walmart parking lot in Heber on Saturday night.
These users thanked the author fernmanus for the post:
matthepp (Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:47 pm)

Matteo V
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Matteo V » Sun Feb 03, 2019 7:42 pm

Storm showed up later, yesterday (Saturday) was good......... but most missed it. There was enough wind for a while when most people were setting up. Then it died, and everyone but one other kiter and I, gave up. As the last discouraged snowkiter was picking up their skis, the wind kicked in again and the riding was good until for two of us until 5pm. Must have been the snowkiters who gave up, driving away sucking the wind that direction up the hill. Nothing brings up the wind more than folding up a kite and putting it in it's bag!

Snow looks much lighter today at skyline than was forecast. But a few days of repeated snows should make it great again. Could be a situation where skyline is whiteout, or rideable (without vertigo) for only a few hours today, Monday and Tues.

As fernmanus said, the long chain of kite spots that are known as "Strawberry" could be a viable alternative through the storm. Skyline tends to whiteout, and you get lots of icing on your kite being at the summit of the mountain. Strawberry is lower and usually has more visibility during heavy snows, along with less icing on your kite and lines.
These users thanked the author Matteo V for the post:
matthepp (Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:51 pm)

Return to “Snow / Land”