Kiting since: 2011
Gear: Lift foils + Cabrinha kites

Re: climate change / unpredictable weather/wind

Postby palmbeacher » Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:31 pm

prop_joe wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 5:56 pm
palmbeacher wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:15 am
The ocean absorbs about 90 percent of the excess heat produced as climate change warms the earth. https://earthsky.org/earth/study-oceans ... -questions. As a result coral reefs are dying, fish migration patterns are changing and the oceans are acidifying.
Okay, so why did i find a video about a reef scientist(forgot the name sorry, it's posted here somewhere) who had just successfully won a lawsuit against a university for wrongful dismissal after he had said that the reefs are in fact not dying due to global warming? I don't know enough to say who's right but when there are experts on both sides disagreeing surely you can forgive folk for being unsure. From what i have seen/read on climate change this seems to be an occuring theme within most aspects of climate change.
Excellent source you have there Joe. Did you see it on Fox News by any chance?

50% of coral reefs are already dead, but of course we need to listen to ‘Experts on both sides.’ A new level of stupidity.

prop_joe
Frequent Poster
Gear: twin tips
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby prop_joe » Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:07 pm

palmbeacher wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:31 pm
Excellent source you have there Joe. Did you see it on Fox News by any chance?
No, notice how all your assumptions you keep making are incorrect? I couldn't find my orginal post but the guys name is Peter Ridd, i think this was the vid...

Not sure who Liberty Works are but surely it's irrelevent. They don't sound very right wing if that's what you were getting at, but hey i'm stupid so who knows? :wink:
palmbeacher wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:31 pm
50% of coral reefs are already dead, but of course we need to listen to ‘Experts on both sides.’ A new level of stupidity.
Iv'e always been of the opinion it's best to gather all the information you can before making your conclusion/decision and then remaining open minded... perhaps this where i'm going wrong?

palmbeacher
Frequent Poster

Postby palmbeacher » Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:40 pm

‘An expert panel led by the former chief scientist Ian Chubb has warned ministers that controversial scientist Peter Ridd is misrepresenting robust science about the plight of the Great Barrier Reef, and compared his claims to the strategy used by the tobacco industry to raise doubt about the impact of smoking.’

“We have seen the sowing of doubt play out over the years: tobacco use, lead in petrol, anti-vaccination, climate change are examples. And now possibly the GBR,” the panel says. “In all cases, scientific evidence is, or was, disputed, only sometimes for obvious reasons – usually money.

prop_joe
Frequent Poster

Postby prop_joe » Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:12 pm

palmbeacher wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:40 pm
‘An expert panel led by the former chief scientist Ian Chubb has warned ministers that controversial scientist Peter Ridd is misrepresenting robust science about the plight of the Great Barrier Reef, and compared his claims to the strategy used by the tobacco industry to raise doubt about the impact of smoking.’

“We have seen the sowing of doubt play out over the years: tobacco use, lead in petrol, anti-vaccination, climate change are examples. And now possibly the GBR,” the panel says. “In all cases, scientific evidence is, or was, disputed, only sometimes for obvious reasons – usually money.
That's better, good retort. Do you have a link to a vid or article for more info? Do you see my point though, you maybe correct regarding Peter Ridd, i don't know but i still don't understand the contempt and animosity towards skepticism. Perhaps if you see skepticism as thwarting certain climate change initiatives that you believe will help us then i guess i can understand it a bit but not so much when it's just discussion on a inet forum.

palmbeacher
Frequent Poster

Postby palmbeacher » Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:27 pm

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.thegua ... ng-science

Also: James Cook University wins appeal in Peter Ridd unfair dismissal case https://www.theguardian.com/australia-n ... issal-case

Instead of just being skeptical, do your research before taking a position on a topic that you don’t know much about.

SimonP
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Rotorua Lakes, Maketu, NZ
Favorite Beaches: Aotea, Maroochydore, Faro, Aitutaki
Style: Foiling, free-style, waves
Gear: J-shapes foil, Switch kites, Underground twintips, misc surfboards.
Has thanked: 0

Postby SimonP » Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:44 pm

Matteo V wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 5:47 am
Increasing heat and rainfall do not necessarily have a negative effect on ecosystems.
Decreasing heat and rainfall absolutely have a negative effect on ecosystems.
Ecosystems can adapt to climate change but they need time. Unfortunately, the current rate of warming is almost unprecedented in the paleoclimatic record.
We are OK if we can keep the current warming below 1.5°C of pre-industrial levels. However, we are already at +1°C and greenhouse gas emissions are not abating.

prop_joe
Frequent Poster

Postby prop_joe » Tue Aug 11, 2020 10:35 pm

palmbeacher wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:27 pm
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.thegua ... ng-science

Also: James Cook University wins appeal in Peter Ridd unfair dismissal case https://www.theguardian.com/australia-n ... issal-case
Thanks, will take a look.
palmbeacher wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:27 pm
Instead of just being skeptical, do your research before taking a position on a topic that you don’t know much about.
I didn't take a position, i posed it to you as a question... basically, doing research. :wink:

slide
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Weight: 78kg
Local Beach: Brancaster Norfolk 46 miles
Favorite Beaches: mablephorpe , cleephorpes , uk
Style: landboarding with a petzl work harness
Gear: old blades and old flysurfer's , ckb/dex carbon landboards ,souls , spd5s

Postby slide » Thu Aug 13, 2020 12:59 pm

heat means thunderstorms which makes kiting difficult as we see here in the uk for now and the near future ,
climate change/ unpredictable weather/ wind

tegirinenashi
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: 3rd Ave
Gear: Bates 4000, Dominator MX-10

Postby tegirinenashi » Fri Aug 14, 2020 1:04 am

SimonP wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:44 pm
Ecosystems can adapt to climate change but they need time. Unfortunately, the current rate of warming is almost unprecedented in the paleoclimatic record.
Sure 0.01 degree per year might be unprecedented from paleoclimatic perspective. It is still puny compared to seasonable variation. A suggestion that biological organisms are so inept to adapt or even notice this "change" is just laughable.

Havre
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Oslo
Favorite Beaches: Jericoacoara (area) & Cabarete
Gear: Ozone Zephyr 17m, Ozone Enduro v1 12m, Ozone Enduro v1 9m, HQ Topaz 7m, Shinn Ronson Player, Mystic Majestic X Harness, Mystic Stealth Bar

Postby Havre » Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:28 am

If it is "almost unprecedented" then ecosystems have adapted to bigger changes before.

I honestly do not understand why that isn't a bigger part of the question. If adapting to changing temperatures cost us X and trying to stop something (that might not be stoppable - as temperatures do change with or without humans) cost us Y. If Y is bigger than X....... I'm not saying it is - it is just that we are in my opinion not thinking rationally about this.

Not to mention if temperature really is the issue there are ways to control that which has nothing to do with co2. Can't wait for the Astana-summit 2043 where China, Turkey, Brazil and Nigeria are to decide which temperature we should have on earth :D

Return to “Snow / Land”