SaulOhio
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mentor Headlands
Edgewater
Conneaut harbor
Fairport Harbor
Simms Park
Favorite Beaches: Kite Point in the Outer Banks
Gear: Slingshot Turbines, RPMs and SSTs.
Slingshot Misfit 132, Glide.
Home built hydrofoils.
Ozone R1's, 17M, 13M, 10M, 7M
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: climate change / unpredictable weather/wind

Postby SaulOhio » Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:41 am

jumptheshark wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 2:27 pm

Oh come on now, thats now how its done you have to question it with such sarcasm, derision and intentionally inflammatory language that you elicit the emotional response your fishing for. Then pronounce them indoctrinated.
When have I used inflammatory language?

What I meant is that you present a fellow believer with logical, empirical reasons to doubt your beliefs. You try to channel Spock after taking the Kolonahr discipline, just the facts, just the logic, and your friends who believe the same as you do react AS IF you used inflammatory language.

Was Greta Thunberg's "How dare you?" a reaction to inflammatory language?
These users thanked the author SaulOhio for the post:
kiteykitekite (Fri Apr 10, 2020 1:40 am)
Rating: 3.03%

Havre
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Oslo
Favorite Beaches: Jericoacoara (area) & Cabarete
Gear: Ozone Edge v11 13m, Ozone Edge v11 9m, Ozone Zephyr 17m, Ozone Enduro v1 12m, Ozone Enduro v1 9m, HQ Topaz 7m, Shinn Ronson Player, Mystic Majestic X Harness, Mystic Stealth Bar

Postby Havre » Thu Apr 09, 2020 1:48 pm

SaulOhio wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 1:54 pm
Havre wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:53 am
How do you know if you are indoctrinated or not? Are you indoctrinated to think that you are not? Seems unsolvable to me.
Watch the reaction of the people who believe the doctrine when you question it. If they automatically attack your character or that of the people who present countering evidence, then its likely they are indoctrinated, and your belief may be purely indoctrination. The same if they keep repeating the same bad kinds of arguments, despite your explaining why that kind of argument is unconvincing, its indoctrination. There was someone on this thread who kept posting news events of bad weather, often directed at me. I told him time and again that I needed data, not anecdotes. bad weather has always been happening.

In short, you find out if you have been indoctrinated by examining the ideas you believe. Listen to the people who don't agree with the idea. Present their criticisms of the idea to others who believe it. Watch their reaction. If they respond with reasoned arguments and evidence, it may be a valid belief. Its no guarantee that it is right, but it does mean people are open to other ideas. If they scream at you and use logical fallacies as rhetorical weapons, its just indoctrination.

Question it. See what happens.
I don´t think that is a good way to determine if someone is indoctrinated or not. For me this is more a description of being polite and respectful vs. impolite and disrespectful. I think it is perfectly possible to be "indoctrinated" and still be for example polite to someone.

Do anyone believe themselves that they are indoctrinated? Is that even possible? To be aware that you are indoctrinated to hold certain beliefs and still believe them? I guess ironically or lazily one might, but I am not sure if that is possible with "real" beliefs. So whenever one accuse someone else to be indoctrinated one cannot really say that oneself isn´t as well.

I don´t mean that as an argument for nihilism (even if it kind of is), but hopefully it leads to some humility.
These users thanked the author Havre for the post:
Pemba (Thu Apr 09, 2020 2:41 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

kiteykitekite
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2020
Gear: Core kites

Postby kiteykitekite » Thu Apr 09, 2020 3:52 pm

You can suspect you are indoctrinated but to be certain that would be after the fact. The only way you can know you are indoctrinated is enough evidence that you are. Evidence like against what you believe or in some other way shows you what you believe is wrong. And in that regard it is possible to be indoctrinated from something that is true to something that is false, from one false thing to another false thing and from something false to something true.... it needs a careful mind to survive in this world. We are fast approaching so much misinformation it is becoming almost impossible. Unfortunately information is being used as a weapon and we are stuck in a multi-polar trap that sees this use ever increasing...

Matteo V
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Matteo V » Fri Apr 10, 2020 3:48 pm

Havre wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 1:48 pm
I don´t think that is a good way to determine if someone is indoctrinated or not. For me this is more a description of being polite and respectful vs. impolite and disrespectful. I think it is perfectly possible to be "indoctrinated" and still be for example polite to someone.
Your uncontrolled emotional response to someone's words or actions indicates you have issues yourself.

When you see someone calling someone else names, and that person who is being called names does not react, who do you think is the bad person in the argument?

But when you see someone reacting negatively to being called names by returning that treatment in kind, it is difficult to see who is the bad person in the argument. Likely, both participants are bad, or at least not in full control of their emotions.

This has been said many times before on this forum, ' ad hominem attacks indicate that the person making the attack has lost their argument'.

The moral to the story? Be happy that your convictions are confirmed when someone attacking you can no longer attack you on the issue, but rather must resort to a different type of attack. Personally I use this is an indication that someone is backed up against the wall in everyday life, from work to negotiations to family.

marlboroughman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Oldschool
Gear: Naish
Brand Affiliation: Make Kiting Great Again!

Postby marlboroughman » Fri Apr 10, 2020 4:33 pm

How would you like to be on a Wind/Solar powered ventilator, now?

slide
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Weight: 75kg,now a bit less
Local Beach: Brancaster Norfolk 46 miles- just need a hard beach
Favorite Beaches: mablephorpe , cleephorpes uk-just need a hard beach
Style: landboarding with a petzl work harness
Gear: old blades and old flysurfer's , ckb/dex carbon landboards, modified airdeck and a home made snow board with barrel wheels ,soul's , spd5's. over 30ish old blades all set up to go ,i like a bit of old skool

Postby slide » Sat Apr 11, 2020 7:30 am

and when the planes and transport stopped the sun came out , and its another sunny day today

marlboroughman
Very Frequent Poster

Postby marlboroughman » Sun Apr 12, 2020 11:19 pm

Proper obituary, since mainstream media can't.
“Mehr Feinde, mehr Ehre,” more enemies, more honor.
https://junkscience.com/2020/04/a-tribu ... ed-singer/

slide
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Weight: 75kg,now a bit less
Local Beach: Brancaster Norfolk 46 miles- just need a hard beach
Favorite Beaches: mablephorpe , cleephorpes uk-just need a hard beach
Style: landboarding with a petzl work harness
Gear: old blades and old flysurfer's , ckb/dex carbon landboards, modified airdeck and a home made snow board with barrel wheels ,soul's , spd5's. over 30ish old blades all set up to go ,i like a bit of old skool

Postby slide » Sun Apr 19, 2020 10:21 am

great news climate fans, and friends who more watch than post -david attenbourgh has made a no holes barred film about what we in our generation have done to our home , our planet , its called "a life on our planet", watch it if you dare , it doesn't f*** about

marlboroughman
Very Frequent Poster

Postby marlboroughman » Sun Apr 19, 2020 11:47 am

David Attenbourgh is a nature(al) career bullshitter.

Havre
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Oslo
Favorite Beaches: Jericoacoara (area) & Cabarete
Gear: Ozone Edge v11 13m, Ozone Edge v11 9m, Ozone Zephyr 17m, Ozone Enduro v1 12m, Ozone Enduro v1 9m, HQ Topaz 7m, Shinn Ronson Player, Mystic Majestic X Harness, Mystic Stealth Bar

Postby Havre » Sun Apr 19, 2020 12:08 pm

Stop having kids slide! That is your friend DAs main message (which I would agree with him on).

Return to “Snow / Land”