Forum for snow- and landkiters
slide
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Weight: 75kg,now a bit less
Local Beach: Brancaster Norfolk 46 miles- just need a hard beach
Favorite Beaches: mablephorpe , cleephorpes uk-just need a hard beach
Style: landboarding with a petzl work harness
Gear: old blades and old flysurfer's , ckb/dex carbon landboards, modified airdeck and a home made snow board with barrel wheels ,soul's , spd5's. over 30ish old blades all set up to go ,i like a bit of old skool
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: climate change / unpredictable weather/wind

Postby slide » Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:53 am

how much more evidence do you need to see for f**ks sake

well its not happened to me yet so i'm gonna continue with this deny, deny, deny, deny :angryfire:

Havre
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Oslo
Favorite Beaches: Jericoacoara (area) & Cabarete
Gear: Ozone Edge v11 13m, Ozone Edge v11 9m, Ozone Zephyr 17m, Ozone Enduro v1 12m, Ozone Enduro v1 9m, HQ Topaz 7m, Shinn Ronson Player, Mystic Majestic X Harness, Mystic Stealth Bar

Postby Havre » Mon Jul 26, 2021 10:11 am

Evidence of what? Obviously going around in circles here, but 1) you need to prove that there is a causality between Co2-emissions and what we are now seeing (temperatures have been going up for somewhere around 200 years now - how do you explain the first 150 years?) 2) The world population was in 1951 2.58b people. Rather obvious that when we are pushing 8b more people will get influenced when we got weather events. Doesn't in itself prove anything.

I get it. Nietzsche and Dostoyevsky were right. We have stopped believing in god so now we need to replace it with something. So far it seems like even the Catholics were more open minded than the "environmentalists". Happy days.

I'm all for well argued posts about how Co2 might influence life on earth, but random weather forecasts do not really prove anything. Then you should at least forecast weather that goes against your beliefs as well.

slide
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: old blades and old flysurfer's , ckb/dex carbon landboards, modified airdeck and a home made snow board with barrel wheels ,soul's , spd5's. over 30ish old blades all set up to go ,i like a bit of old skool

Postby slide » Thu Jul 29, 2021 7:46 am

it is seriously hitting farmers now , all this extreme heat and crazy weather is seriously damaging crops ,and food production is suffering

Havre
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Ozone Edge v11 13m, Ozone Edge v11 9m, Ozone Zephyr 17m, Ozone Enduro v1 12m, Ozone Enduro v1 9m, HQ Topaz 7m, Shinn Ronson Player, Mystic Majestic X Harness, Mystic Stealth Bar

Postby Havre » Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:40 am

I wouldn't worry about food supply.
foodsupply.JPG
And the trend continues after 2013.

http://www.fao.org/faostat/en/#data/FBS

So even with an increasing population, we are seeing available calories per person increasing.

That said here we might be in agreement. Only yesterday the Norwegian Prime Minister went out publicly to encourage people to have more babies. How absurd even if you don't believe Co2-emissions is an issue. More or less in her life time we have gone from 2.5b to 7.7b - as if there would be no consequences in doing so.

As for food. My guess is that more Co2 is probably helpful in producing more food. So for someone like me who would like the population to go down that is not good.

slide
Very Frequent Poster

Postby slide » Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:42 am

we are fighting a pointless war with nature ,which we will never win-just because we haven't stopped producing carbon and action is slow-nature always wins, and mother earth will always be here in one shape or form , its a very clear choice, nature is very angry and we are starting to see nature winning and removing us,-floods ,wild fires, extreme heat the list is endless, and its hitting us hard and fast

Matteo V
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Matteo V » Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:17 pm

slide wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:19 am
.......scientists say we MUST change the way we live as we are getting huge climate change issues around the world , with many deaths , flooding ,massive wild fires.....
Yes, by 2012 Florida will be underwater.

Or, go back 15 years and find some "scientists" that say we only have 10 years left.

The scientologicalpropagandists will always be saying "the world is doomed if you don't give us more money". But if your memory is good enough to go back at least ten years, you will remember hearing the same BS in the past. The real hope in humanity is that one day we all wake up and stop buying into the emotion and lies.

And that last part..... well that's where slide and I share some common ground in that we don't have much hope for the future.

Havre
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Havre » Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:39 pm

Temprature change.jpg
This is from NASA and the Y-axis is how many degrees C you are over the "normal" value.

I'm not saying that things have now stopped and that we have reached some sort of plateau. We saw something similar happen from the mid 40s to the mid 70s as well, but I still think that is quite interesting. Why did we have warming from 1910 to around 1940 before it suddenly "stopped" for 30 years? Why did it start up again?
Temprature change 2.jpg
I cannot predict the future, but I guess we "all" hope that 5 years from now the trend we have seen the last 5 years is continuing - with no increase in global temperature.

It would also be interesting to understand why we had a 0.4 degree C increase from 2011 to 2016. I couldn't tell how much is natural variance and what is the underlying trend. Statistically not that hard to do of course (for the full 100 years or so) - so if someone know of someone who have already done that analysis for the last 100 years I would be very interested in reading it. I'm sure a lot of people have done it.

Matteo V
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Matteo V » Fri Jul 30, 2021 6:40 pm

Havre wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:39 pm
I cannot predict the future, but I guess we "all" hope that 5 years from now the trend we have seen the last 5 years is continuing - with no increase in global temperature.
We'd better all hope and pray that the trend continues upward with increasing temperatures, and does not level out to begin a downward trend. Humanity is not in a position to treat the environment kindly while we are all starving and killing each other on a scale the earth has never witnessed before, in a global cooling environment.

Havre
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Havre » Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:02 pm

Matteo V wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 6:40 pm
Havre wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:39 pm
We'd better all hope and pray that the trend continues upward with increasing temperatures, and does not level out to begin a downward trend. Humanity is not in a position to treat the environment kindly while we are all starving and killing each other on a scale the earth has never witnessed before, in a global cooling environment.
If it drops we can just replace our Teslas with old school VWs again.

SimonP
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Rotorua Lakes, Maketu, NZ
Favorite Beaches: Aotea, Maroochydore, Faro, Aitutaki
Style: Foiling, free-style, waves
Gear: J-shapes foil, Switch kites, Underground twintips, misc surfboards.

Postby SimonP » Sat Jul 31, 2021 8:50 am

Havre wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 10:11 am
Evidence of what? Obviously going around in circles here, but 1) you need to prove that there is a causality between Co2-emissions and what we are now seeing
There is a huge body of scientific evidence summarised in the IPCC AR5 Report Chapter 10 "Detection and Attribution of Climate Change: from Global to Regional" https://www.ipcc.ch/site/assets/uploads ... _FINAL.pdf

Return to “Snow / Land”