Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

climate change / unpredictable weather/wind

Forum for snow- and landkiters
Strekke
Frequent Poster
Gear: 2021 Cabrinha Drifters - Naish Pivot - Flysurfer Peak4 - Core Choice - Firewire Vader 5'2 - F-One Phantom
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: climate change /unpredictable weather

Postby Strekke » Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:18 pm

Things have indeed always been changing, but never at this rate, things are moving ridiculously fast when you zoom out on the timescale.

And people should really look at the bigger picture also from a global and social point of view. Killing off wildlife diversity and over-extracting our limited natural resources in combination with climate change drastically affecting crops and fisheries, it is only a matter of time before these secondary consequences will put too much pressure on the human species as a whole. Drought and natural disasters will lead to hunger and loss of habitat/livelihoods, which in turn will trigger migration and fighting over resources/war. There are just too many of us and the way we are raiding the planet is not sustainable. Pressure is building and I'm convinced our generation will see the lid pop off. Unless if nature finds a way to restore the balance of course (e.g. new airborne Ebola type disease that wipes out 90% of the world's population).
These users thanked the author Strekke for the post (total 2):
slide (Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:40 pm) • Anthonyshopguy (Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:55 am)
Rating: 6.06%

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff

Postby jumptheshark » Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:12 pm

Lets keep it kite related.

slide
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Weight: 75kg,now a bit less
Local Beach: Brancaster Norfolk 46 miles- just need a hard beach
Favorite Beaches: mablephorpe , cleephorpes uk-just need a hard beach
Style: landboarding with a petzl work harness
Gear: old blades and old flysurfer's , ckb/dex carbon landboards, modified airdeck and a home made snow board with barrel wheels ,soul's , spd5's. over 30ish old blades all set up to go ,i like a bit of old skool

Postby slide » Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:22 am

jimi Hendrix 1969 straight ahead - "ya gotta tell the children the truth , they don't need a whole lot of lies- keep on straight ahead "
Last edited by slide on Fri Oct 04, 2019 2:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

slide
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: old blades and old flysurfer's , ckb/dex carbon landboards, modified airdeck and a home made snow board with barrel wheels ,soul's , spd5's. over 30ish old blades all set up to go ,i like a bit of old skool

Re: climate change /unpredictable weather/wind

Postby slide » Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:52 pm

cause one of these days they'll be running things , so when you give em love you better give it right
Last edited by slide on Fri Oct 04, 2019 2:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Bille
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Mohave
Gear: Ozone Edge
Brand Affiliation: Barz Optics
Jaybar Dynabar V7

Postby Bille » Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:59 pm

slide wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:22 am
I haven't been on here for a while , and climate change has not gone away , extreme heat and extreme weather conditions are now a regular feature , as warmer temps increase as we see right now in many countries , 45 + makes it very difficult to spend the day kiting if you wanna keep ya skin healthy
That's bin the normal temperature, at lake Mohave in summer ; ever
since 2003 when i started kiting there. What has changed, is the water
level in Lake Mead Nevada ; full capacity is suppose to be 1,229 ft (375 m)
above sea level, or (ASL)
and it currently sits at 1084 ft , ( or approximately 40% of full capacity)
and drooping. You may be asking, 40% (?) ; remember the shore-line is Not vertical .

On Climate change theory :
It's bin "changing" , since the dawn of time for this planet. We humans
whether we are affecting climate, or not
are obliged to do all we can to keep our environment, as clean as possible
for following generations. Looking at all the plastic in the oceans ; is
one example, on how people, Could be doing better than what they are.

Bille

JakeFarley
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Weight: 92kg
Local Beach: Florida Left Coast, USA
Favorite Beaches: Any that are not crowded.
Style: Dinosaur style (Velociraptor)
Gear: Kites: Flysurfer Speed5 21m, Soul 12m, Cabrinha 16m Xbow, 11m Xbow, Best 14m HP Nemesis, 9m Yarga C Hybrid
Boards: Crazyfly 135 x 46 Pro, Cabrinha Spoiler 140, 6' custom surfboard, 122 x 46 custom twintip
Wing foil: Naish Hover 110l, Slingwing 6.4m, F-One CWC Strike 8m, Slingshot Hover Glide Fwing (Infinity 99), Slingshot Phantasm 926 and E 990

Postby JakeFarley » Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:03 pm

The weather has definitely gotten more unpredictible here on the west coast of Florida. 1993 was a pivotal year when we had the no name, storm of the century. Caught everyone by surprise. When I was a young boy 50-60 years ago during the summer you could set your watches by the time that the afternoon thunderstorms rolled in. The last 20 years or so they are not consistent possibly due to the Bermuda high not forming or to El Nino. This year we are in a El Nino pattern. Normally during the spring we get consistently good sea breezes March to May. This year due to El Nino, warm winter, the sea breezes were not that good, but it seems that El Nino has resulted in windier June and July (so far this year). I'm not sure what causes El Nino. Perhaps the deforestation of the Amazon? One effect of it is less hurricane formation due to wind shear, but the ones that do form are more powerful.

Matteo V
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Matteo V » Wed Jul 24, 2019 5:08 am

slide wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:52 pm
matteo V, I hope to get driving again soon , so I can do less typing and more kiting , and look, this thread is still open , but after being told I can drive again ,because the cancer on my brain has gone and after 7 months i'm still waiting to hear from the DVLA, here in the uk , apparently a big backlog
and I take it you not breathing in pollution and getting flooded out of your home , like many , but you are allowed an opinion , but no need to say abusive things to me
Let me apologize if I have offended you in any way. I do not wish offense, but even so, I beg your forgiveness.

Any way you could reference the specific instance where I offended you?

If your reference is to assuming future offense by me, I will temper my responses with as much sensitivity as I possibly can. But please continue on discussing.

slide
Very Frequent Poster

Postby slide » Wed Jul 24, 2019 7:18 am

woman and child man and wife the best love to have , is the love of life - keep on straight ahead
Last edited by slide on Fri Oct 04, 2019 2:50 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Matteo V
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Matteo V » Wed Jul 24, 2019 5:49 pm

Matteo V wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:38 pm
Keeping it open may serve to keep those on the extremes occupied typing instead of doing something else.
Yes, I did state this, though I did not intend to target you specifically. In fact, there are indeed extremists on both side, driven by emotion devoid of logic and reasoning. And when let fester long enough, that emotion can manifest itself as extreme acts which most often accomplish the opposite of both sides goals.

slide wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 7:18 am
suggesting i do less typing and do something else ,
If you do group yourself in with those on the extreme and emotional side of this issue, I would suggest you do more typing, not less. This could serve to temper your actions, and find more contrary and challenging opinions that could help reform yours to a more realistic level. This forum is a place for discussion and your opinion is valued. But your opinion will always be challenged here, AND THAT IS A GOOD THING! No set of ideas can be assumed correct unless they are picked apart for flaws, looked at from different points of view, and evaluated by many many different people from the average person to experts.

But most of all, I wish you a successful and speedy recovery so you can get back to kiting.

slide
Very Frequent Poster

Postby slide » Wed Jul 24, 2019 7:13 pm

forget about the past baby , things ain't they use to be - keep on straight ahead - jimi Hendrix 1969
Last edited by slide on Fri Oct 04, 2019 2:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Snow / Land”