Gear: Eleveight FS, Shinn Bronq
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: climate change /unpredictable weather/wind

Postby Pemba » Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:37 pm

marlboroughman wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:43 am
slide wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 5:00 pm
around 11000 scientists have all agreed the world is facing a global crisis with climate change
If climate is about numbers on a petition, here are 31,000 climate skeptic scientist signatories.

http://petitionproject.org/
I think these numbers are impressive. But if you look on wikipedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_s ... al_warming), they actually define the word "scientist" ("For the purpose of this list, a "scientist" is defined as an individual who has published at least one peer-reviewed research article in the broad field of natural sciences, although not necessarily in a field relevant to climatology"), and the numbers are far, far lower. In fact they seem really low. I'm not judging anything here. Just noticing there's a very big difference.

marlboroughman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Oldschool
Gear: Naish
Brand Affiliation: Make Kiting Great Again!

Postby marlboroughman » Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:46 pm

I still don't know who are the 11,000.

marlboroughman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Oldschool
Gear: Naish
Brand Affiliation: Make Kiting Great Again!

Postby marlboroughman » Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:00 am

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils

Postby foilholio » Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:01 am

Pemba wrote: I think these numbers are impressive. But if you look on wikipedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_s ... al_warming), they actually define the word "scientist" ("For the purpose of this list, a "scientist" is defined as an individual who has published at least one peer-reviewed research article in the broad field of natural sciences, although not necessarily in a field relevant to climatology"), and the numbers are far, far lower. In fact they seem really low. I'm not judging anything here. Just noticing there's a very big difference.
I am sorry but your sentence makes no sense. Are you saying that each survey has a differing classification for their scientists?

slide
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Weight: 75kg,now a bit less
Local Beach: Brancaster Norfolk 46 miles- just need a hard beach
Favorite Beaches: mablephorpe , cleephorpes uk-just need a hard beach
Style: landboarding with a petzl work harness
Gear: old blades and old flysurfer's , ckb/dex carbon landboards, modified airdeck and a home made snow board with barrel wheels ,soul's , spd5's. over 30ish old blades all set up to go ,i like a bit of old skool

Postby slide » Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:04 am

over 100 flood warnings in north Yorkshire with many evacuations and people sleeping in community centres ,and a local shopping centre after torrential rain flooded the streets of Sheffield, rotheram ,Doncaster , and Mansfield-fact and its happening now for REAL, and many many familes in real stress -can you imagine going back to a home that's had over a metre of water in it , sewage up the wall ,and a destroyed family life - now this is very real and some people will take months to get over this and just before Christmas - in the uk we've had strong storms high winds torrential rains for 3months and before that 35 +degrees , our weather is fucked , and lots of flooding in different areas - bearing in mind that Sheffield normally gets around 79mm's of rain in November, they have had more than that in 24 hours with the rivers still rising, and in the pennine's Yorkshire dales they have had more than100 mm
TELL THEM GLOBAL WARMING IS NOT HAPPENNG, this is the sad state for many in the uk , with some areas having been flooded more than once
so tell us what your clever know it all arrogant reply is

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils

Postby foilholio » Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:04 pm

Weather is not climate. If people build such that a flood can affect them, then they are stupid. If their government doesn't build sufficient water management like dams, dikes etc, well then you can only assume they live in the typical dumocracy.
These users thanked the author foilholio for the post:
SaulOhio (Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:11 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

SaulOhio
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mentor Headlands
Edgewater
Conneaut harbor
Fairport Harbor
Simms Park
Favorite Beaches: Kite Point in the Outer Banks
Gear: Slingshot Turbines, RPMs and SSTs.
Slingshot Misfit 132, Glide.
Home built hydrofoils.
Ozone R1's, 17M, 13M, 10M, 7M

Postby SaulOhio » Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:24 pm

slide wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:04 am
over 100 flood warnings in north Yorkshire with many evacuations and people sleeping in community centres ….

TELL THEM GLOBAL WARMING IS NOT HAPPENNG, this is the sad state for many in the uk , with some areas having been flooded more than once
so tell us what your clever know it all arrogant reply is
Floods have happened before in England, and they will again in the future unless we invent weather control technology.

Thames Flood
Great Flood of 1703
The Great Storm

It happened centuries before we started burning fossil fuels.

In order to convince us, you need, not anecdotal evidence of bad weather, but empirical data that such evens are getting worse. But they aren't.

Going Down: Death Rates Due to Extreme Weather Events

Even if the number and severity of bad weather events is increasing, and I see no evidence of that, having abundant energy resources that are resistant to these events is what helps us survive them better.

Windmills don't do that for us.

Photos show renewable energy took a beating in Puerto Rico
90.jpg

slide
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: old blades and old flysurfer's , ckb/dex carbon landboards, modified airdeck and a home made snow board with barrel wheels ,soul's , spd5's. over 30ish old blades all set up to go ,i like a bit of old skool

Postby slide » Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:40 pm

and in rotheram, they were to due to turn the christmas lights on and people on the way with their families goingto it as it was cancelled , now that was lucky and it doesn't bear thinking about, what could have happened if the water rushing tru the streets had met the kids and families walking towards the town centre , quick reactions from the local council

slide
Very Frequent Poster

Postby slide » Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:58 pm

think of harry , 104 , D day veteran has raised a lot of money for a special new mamorial where the D day veterans went in , we was in the first run, and he is still live - can u imagine what guy saw , it must have been like going over the trenches against machine gun fire . don't we owe these guys better ,but these guys had a inner fibre that we really see now
Last edited by slide on Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pemba
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Local Beach: Murrebue
Gear: Eleveight FS, Shinn Bronq

Postby Pemba » Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:02 pm

foilholio wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:01 am
Pemba wrote: I think these numbers are impressive. But if you look on wikipedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_s ... al_warming), they actually define the word "scientist" ("For the purpose of this list, a "scientist" is defined as an individual who has published at least one peer-reviewed research article in the broad field of natural sciences, although not necessarily in a field relevant to climatology"), and the numbers are far, far lower. In fact they seem really low. I'm not judging anything here. Just noticing there's a very big difference.
I am sorry but your sentence makes no sense. Are you saying that each survey has a differing classification for their scientists?
Which sentence ? I meant what is a scientist ? The website I refer to indicates who is classified as a scientist. The other just says "scientist" I think. Can just anybody be called a scientist ? That was my point.

Return to “Snow / Land”