Local Beach: Cobbosseecontee lake Maine
Style: snowboard
Gear: apex V 3.5 M, Gin Shaman 2 9 M.
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Another kite size recommendation for a 1st timer

Postby Maineframe » Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:32 am

I would like to make sure I am purchasing the correct kite size and would appreciate some thought from those of you who have been down this road before.

I am 140 lbs, fit and athletic, adult with strong snowboarding skills as well as sailing experience. I owned a 2.5 M trainer for a few years and found it easy to learn and handle. That was a few years ago and I never purchased a kite for snow kiting due to cost, but I can now afford to get into the sport. I will primarily be kiting on Maine lakes and farm fields, but may wander into some kite buggying in the future if I can get away with it using the same Kite.
I am considering the HQ Apex V 8 M. Of course I want to be sure I am not getting either a kite to large or to small. Is the 8 meter the correct size? Not to big, but large enough to stay interesting for a few years? I usually take learning new skills seriously. Taking the time to educate myself and using best safety practices. My hope is that this will help me to avoid the need of purchasing 2 kites immediately. I would like to get a kite that could last me for many years. What are your thoughts and recommendations?

Thanks for any feedback.

Hardwater Kiter
Frequent Poster
Style: Rough and tumble
Gear: Ram air and single skin Foil kites. Long skis to truck, short skis to huck.
Brand Affiliation: www.hardwaterkiter.com Authorized retailers of Flysurfer. Ozone, HQ kites and Gin kites.

Re: Another kite size recommendation for a 1st timer

Postby Hardwater Kiter » Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:48 pm

Locally for your size on a board and our normally firm conditions, an 8 or 9m (depending on the kite and your piloting skills) can be a "meat and potatoes' size range. Being on the board you'll need a bit more than a skier. And riding near the coast means you will often have snow with a higher moisture content than we get further inland. That's a good starting point size-wise but it will rely on you making sure that what you have on your feet is tuned properly for the conditions. in snowkiting what you have on your feet is every bit as important as what you have in the air and an 8m isn't going to be too forgiving to a board running the wrong wax temp or too soft an edge.

Kites we use near you...

https://www.hardwaterkiter.com/kites.html

Other Stuff...

https://www.hardwaterkiter.com/skis-boards-boots.html

And this...

https://www.hardwaterkiter.com/protective-gear.html

Maineframe
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Cobbosseecontee lake Maine
Style: snowboard
Gear: apex V 3.5 M, Gin Shaman 2 9 M.
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Another kite size recommendation for a 1st timer

Postby Maineframe » Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:10 am

Thanks for the input. Definitely makes me more confidant spending my money.

Return to “Snow / Land”