Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Wings work on snow?

Forum for snow- and landkiters
BOEMIX
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sant Pere Pescador (Spain)
Favorite Beaches: Etang de l'Eole, La Franqui (France)
Style: Freeriding
Gear: Kites: ozone: Flusurfer Soul15m, Flusurfer Peak 11m, Flysurfer Peak 8m, Ozone access 6m, Ozone Enduro 7 and 10m, Ozone Edge 13m,
Boards: Naish Bullet 5,4, Liewe Shotgun 138x41, Custom Saul 145x45, Custom Race TTBoard, Custom Rikyshapes foil board with Sabfoil.

For winging: Duotone 5'5 Aluula Unit, Takuma Ride3 5m, Cabrinha Mantis 4m, Slinshot 3'2, and also Custom Rikyshapes winging with Sabfoil as the biard/foil.
Brand Affiliation: None

Wings work on snow?

Postby BOEMIX » Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:23 pm

The winter is coming! (it reminds me some kind of tv series... :D ) and all the wing hype seems to have been gone just when I'm planning to get one for snowkiting.

Does somebody tried it on snow? Because where I'm from I must go so high in the mountains to get snow and rigging a kite on irregular terrain and gusty conditions it's a pain in the arse. The idea is to get a wing for windier and gustier days and let kites for steadier lighter wind days.

Specially interested on the behavior of the wing on snowboard cause I don't sky (too much knee problems you know).

joriws
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Flysurfer, HQ, Moses, Nobile, North, Ozone
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Wings work on snow?

Postby joriws » Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:42 pm

Just look for Skimbat, it has been around for decades. Kitewing difference is to skimbat just soft bladder vs metallic structure.. It works with all terrains and snowboards too.

On this video at first lot of skis but also later other gear is used, snow boards, inline skates etc.

Matteo V
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Matteo V » Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:49 am

joriws wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:42 pm
Just look for Skimbat, it has been around for decades. Kitewing difference is to skimbat just soft bladder vs metallic structure.. It works with all terrains and snowboards too.

On this video at first lot of skis but also later other gear is used, snow boards, inline skates etc.
From using the Rage 55+ back when I owned one, your wings do work on the snow. But:

Low resistance surface is key as you have no wind-window when using a hand held wing. Ice skates, hydrofoils, and skis on hard pack are all good fits.

High resistance surface is no good for wings. Snowboard "waterstart" (getting up off the ground sucks), deep snow, a landboard on grass are not good fits for wings. Kites rule in these conditions, and in my opinion, in pretty much all of the conditions considered good for wings too.

matthepp
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: RMP
Favorite Beaches: La Ventana
Kino Bay
Red Mountain Pass
Style: Rich
Gear: OR Flite 15m
OR Razor 12m
OR Prodigy 7m 9.5m
BD Carbon Megawatts
Slingshot Dwarfcraft/ Gamma 68
Brand Affiliation: Alpine Edge Engineering

Postby matthepp » Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:45 am

My shoulders are sore as hell just from watching that stuff. Not to say it can't work, but the normal way is the normal way for a reason. Hauling one of those way up high and rigging it seems even worse. Boemix, report back in and let us know how it goes.

tomtom
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tomtom » Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:42 am

It works on low resistance surface and flats.
Powder and Uphill is not possible or sustainable.

Thats why for me there is no point

nixmatters
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Style: freeride. started foiling, not there yet
Gear: mostly custom made
Brand Affiliation: None currently

Postby nixmatters » Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:15 pm

there was an early video review of the Slingwing vs Duotwing mentioning the difference between squared off and pointy tips, basically wing span, for accidental tip touch downs, especially if you are not taller than 6'4" or riding a 40+ inch mast. See these 2 screenshots from another video review - on both the tip is touching the floor.
Yet, dragging the tips on snow shouldn't be a great hurdle as on water/foiling... just a heads up.
Attachments
slingwing-duotwing.JPG
slingwing-duotwing1.JPG

Hardwater Kiter
Frequent Poster
Style: Rough and tumble
Gear: Ram air and single skin Foil kites. Long skis to truck, short skis to huck.
Brand Affiliation: www.hardwaterkiter.com Authorized retailers of Flysurfer. Ozone, HQ kites and Gin kites.

Postby Hardwater Kiter » Sat Dec 14, 2019 4:38 pm

I've been riding the Ozone WASP on snow and its suprisingly fun. Better than I would have expected.

The arm pump after long sessions is considerable. Making a harness line is not a big deal tho.

I like the inflatos vs. rigid frames as inflatos are light, fast to put together and don't break in a crash.

Heres some (not great) footage from a session on Thursday.

Hardwater Kiter
Frequent Poster
Style: Rough and tumble
Gear: Ram air and single skin Foil kites. Long skis to truck, short skis to huck.
Brand Affiliation: www.hardwaterkiter.com Authorized retailers of Flysurfer. Ozone, HQ kites and Gin kites.

Postby Hardwater Kiter » Sat Dec 14, 2019 4:40 pm

By the way, if you know how to edge and actually have power, your tips rarely come close to touching.

Matteo V
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Matteo V » Sat Dec 14, 2019 9:01 pm

Any experience on high resistance media? Deep snow?

tomtom
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tomtom » Sat Dec 14, 2019 11:02 pm

What do you think. Defying physic law? In very very strong wind it will somehow work.

Return to “Snow / Land”