Forum for snow- and landkiters
Matteo V
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Wings work on snow?

Postby Matteo V » Sun Dec 15, 2019 12:05 am

tomtom wrote:
Sat Dec 14, 2019 11:02 pm
In very very strong wind it will somehow work.
Yep, I owned a Kitewing. I loved the low resistance hard pack and ice was even nice. But I am a heavy weight and I never liked it compared to a kite in more than 3" of snow. I even preferred a windsurfing sail connected to a land-board compared to the Kitewing.

But it is good to hear that setup is better on an inflatable and that HWK likes it for that.

BOEMIX
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sant Pere Pescador (Spain)
Favorite Beaches: Etang de l'Eole, La Franqui (France)
Style: Freeriding
Gear: Kites: ozone: Flusurfer Soul15m, Flusurfer Peak 11m, Flysurfer Peak 8m, Ozone access 6m, Ozone Enduro 7 and 10m, Ozone Edge 13m,
Boards: Naish Bullet 5,4, Liewe Shotgun 138x41, Custom Saul 145x45, Custom Race TTBoard, Custom Rikyshapes foil board with Sabfoil.

For winging: Duotone 5'5 Aluula Unit, Takuma Ride3 5m, Cabrinha Mantis 4m, Slinshot 3'2, and also Custom Rikyshapes winging with Sabfoil as the biard/foil.
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby BOEMIX » Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:28 am

Nice video Hardwaterkiting!

I think wings can't replace kites in light wind for example, but sometimes they can save your session, like in dense fog where you can't actually see where your kite is (my yesterday snowkite session :cry: ).

I think every piece of gear that can save you a kite session after a 3 hour drive is very valuable!

irwe
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Keswick
Favorite Beaches: Choche
South Padre Island
Silver Rock
Bahia Salinas
Style: Allaround
Gear: Ocean Rodeo
Slingshot
Spleen
Axis
Best
Shinn
TKF
ConceptAir
Zeeko

Postby irwe » Sun Dec 15, 2019 12:10 pm

For me it's about having the right gear to get the most out of the conditions.

When it's flat ice I Wing with Custom Skates with Ski bindings.

>20 kts and Snow Wing with skis (safer then Kite)

<20 kts and snow Uniboard and Kite

Bumpy hard surface Snowfer

Enjoy the Winter conditions
Attachments
Snowfer.JPG
Snowfer
Wave65.JPG
Wave65Uniboard
Wave65.JPG (123.75 KiB) Viewed 3064 times
Wing.JPG
\wing Skates

Matteo V

Postby Matteo V » Sun Dec 15, 2019 2:52 pm

irwe wrote:
Sun Dec 15, 2019 12:10 pm
When it's flat ice I Wing with Custom Skates with Ski bindings.
Hou about a close up of skates? Any build suggestions to those of us that have ski boots and old skis lying around?

Hey and photoshop the sky black in the snowfer and you would have pics of the first manned snofer mission to the moon.

Matteo V

Postby Matteo V » Sun Dec 15, 2019 3:27 pm

Here it is!
Attachments
the moon.jpg
the moon.jpg (63.88 KiB) Viewed 3038 times

Hardwater Kiter
Frequent Poster
Style: Rough and tumble
Gear: Ram air and single skin Foil kites. Long skis to truck, short skis to huck.
Brand Affiliation: www.hardwaterkiter.com Authorized retailers of Flysurfer. Ozone, HQ kites and Gin kites.

Postby Hardwater Kiter » Sun Dec 15, 2019 4:32 pm

I havent done deep snow yet. But my bet is it will be much like the kite in that you will need to be sure you have the right gear in your feet for th conditions. Im guessing that being unable the throw a big power stroke to get started, is where the challenge for deep snow lies.

But big fat powder planks, like 120mm+ underfoot in longer lengths, might work well. A big powder board too.

The wings depower really well. So we might be alright in deep snow with the wind nukin enough to get you going.

I need some snow. We just have ice at the moment.

tomtom
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tomtom » Sun Dec 15, 2019 5:27 pm

Hardwater Kiter wrote:
Sun Dec 15, 2019 4:32 pm
I havent done deep snow yet. But my bet is it will be much like the kite in that you will need to be sure you have the right gear in your feet for th conditions. Im guessing that being unable the throw a big power stroke to get started, is where the challenge for deep snow lies.
I think we can end this debate with simple - it just doesnt work with deep snow and/or uphill cause these are on pair or more demanding than twintip on water powerwise. Nobody sane will use windwing on twintip.
Windwing work in low power enviroment - Hydrofoil, hardpack snow without incline, ice or sk8 on asphalt etc. It have superior depower and doesnt need to fly /while waveriding f.e./

This is where WW really shine.

Hardwater Kiter
Frequent Poster
Style: Rough and tumble
Gear: Ram air and single skin Foil kites. Long skis to truck, short skis to huck.
Brand Affiliation: www.hardwaterkiter.com Authorized retailers of Flysurfer. Ozone, HQ kites and Gin kites.

Postby Hardwater Kiter » Sun Dec 15, 2019 5:44 pm

LOL oh okay then. SMH.

Been told a lot of things "can't be done" over the years. Most of those people never actually tried any of it or lacked the skill or nerve to do so.

Most of them were wrong.

We'll just have to wait and see. ;-)
Last edited by Hardwater Kiter on Mon Dec 16, 2019 2:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

BOEMIX
Frequent Poster
Gear: Kites: ozone: Flusurfer Soul15m, Flusurfer Peak 11m, Flysurfer Peak 8m, Ozone access 6m, Ozone Enduro 7 and 10m, Ozone Edge 13m,
Boards: Naish Bullet 5,4, Liewe Shotgun 138x41, Custom Saul 145x45, Custom Race TTBoard, Custom Rikyshapes foil board with Sabfoil.

For winging: Duotone 5'5 Aluula Unit, Takuma Ride3 5m, Cabrinha Mantis 4m, Slinshot 3'2, and also Custom Rikyshapes winging with Sabfoil as the biard/foil.

Postby BOEMIX » Sun Dec 15, 2019 5:58 pm

Well said HWK!

just like today "there is not enough wind" but I take the mountainboard and a hyperlink 9m and all the people laughing around but... you know who is the only one who have kited today in my homespot? 🤣

BOEMIX
Frequent Poster

Postby BOEMIX » Sun Dec 15, 2019 6:00 pm

we are the lonely wolves until the sheeps follow us!

Return to “Snow / Land”