Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Opinions / reviews burton step on bindings and boots

Forum for snow- and landkiters
Rosco1
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Grange & Duncannon (Wexford), Silver strand (Galway). Ireland
Favorite Beaches: Brandon Bay & Scraganne, Ireland.
4mile Port Douglas; Lancelin, Australia.
La Torche, France
Style: oldschool freeride
Gear: epic renegade 9m, airrush flow 10m, 12m just died so looking! dakine pyro, billabong wettie and rashie, north dragon, epic droid.
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Opinions / reviews burton step on bindings and boots

Postby Rosco1 » Sun Dec 22, 2019 4:38 pm

Hi all,

Anyone tried the burton step on bindings with snow kiting (updated system from their decades old step in system).

I’m in the market for new snowboard boots and have been out of the equipment scene came across the burton step on’s being reviewed and while $$$ it may be worth some advantages for snowkiting.

I’ve searched online and here so apologies if it’s been covered I would love to know if anyone’s used them snowkiting and what the pros / cons are. Surprised not to find reviews relative to snowkiting as they’ve been out 2 years.

For those not familiar here they are:

Cheers,
Rosco

Greenturtle
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Presque Isle, Erie PA
Gear: Turbine 19, Flite 14.5, 12, 10, Rally 7
Tons of boards for water, land, and snow

Re: Opinions / reviews burton step on bindings and boots

Postby Greenturtle » Sun Dec 22, 2019 5:16 pm

I have not used the burton ones specifically. I would make sure for kiting application they can be clicked in from a sitting position (doesn’t require full body weight) if possible before buying.
The Flow bindings would be something to look into as well for a quick binding option. Others using them seem to get in and out easily.
I use old style k2 clickers, works just ok. I personally like no backs on the bindings for kiting, so the flows wouldn’t work for me as the backs are necessary on those.

Rosco1
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Grange & Duncannon (Wexford), Silver strand (Galway). Ireland
Favorite Beaches: Brandon Bay & Scraganne, Ireland.
4mile Port Douglas; Lancelin, Australia.
La Torche, France
Style: oldschool freeride
Gear: epic renegade 9m, airrush flow 10m, 12m just died so looking! dakine pyro, billabong wettie and rashie, north dragon, epic droid.
Been thanked: 0

Postby Rosco1 » Sun Dec 22, 2019 11:39 pm

Greenturtle wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 5:16 pm
I have not used the burton ones specifically. I would make sure for kiting application they can be clicked in from a sitting position (doesn’t require full body weight) if possible before buying.
The Flow bindings would be something to look into as well for a quick binding option. Others using them seem to get in and out easily.
I use old style k2 clickers, works just ok. I personally like no backs on the bindings for kiting, so the flows wouldn’t work for me as the backs are necessary on those.
Interesting, the burton ones specifically require standing up to engage. I reckon you could sit for harder pack snow but not in softer stuff.

I had flows years ago. Badly sprained my ankle using them from a simple fall. And I was a good boarder at the time they allowed weird ankle rotation won’t use again.

So you basically treat snowkiting like a typical twin tip on water. Do you use snowboard boots or just winter boots? Did you cut the lower part of the binding off ( the bit that the high back would rest against or leave it there for some ankle lock in? Currently on older burton customs but could treat myself to new snowboard bindings and convert those ones to backless for kiting.

I’m basically new to snowkiting. Moved to Toronto seems like a logical thing to do with my snowboard and kite :)

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: slingshot liquid force wainman pansh naish duotone cwb burton ronix rpm ozone

Postby edt » Mon Dec 23, 2019 12:12 am

The reason people like step one or flows is because they snow kite like they water kite. First they launch their kite then they grab their board and struggle to get into their bindings with the kite over head. If this is how you kite then flows or stepins are for you.

I like regular bindings you get a better fit and feeling with the regular kind. But here's how you launch. First of all set it all up then get into your bindings like usual. Now hop over to the chicken loop hook in and launch the kite. The difference is you get into your bindings first then you launch the kite so there's no advantage using step ins or flows. I also think it's safer to get into your bindings first because if it's Gusty and you are messing around trying to get into your bindings with the kite over head that's when you can get rag dolled.

But do what you like most the kiters around here love flows because they can get into their bindings after they launch the kite just what they like to do. Skiers also like getting into their bindings after launching I also think they are doing it backwards. Get into your skis then launch your kite is how I do it but do what you like.

I use ice board skates snowboard and skis all of them in the winter but my fav is snowkiting with a snowboard

Anyway do whatever you want they are all fine.

I never cut the back off but some guys do. Figure out what works for you there's no rules really. You have to ride backless for a few hours to see if it's for you

I like Burton customs a lot and would use them exactly set up like how you have on the mountain except of course you need symmetric duck stance so it's easy to go both ways
These users thanked the author edt for the post:
Matteo V (Mon Dec 23, 2019 2:00 am)
Rating: 10%

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff

Postby jumptheshark » Mon Dec 23, 2019 12:58 am

Always get into my bindings before launching the kite. Still love flows.

Matteo V
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: US, Iowa/Nebraska/Kansas/Utah/Oregon Coast
Favorite Beaches: Ft. Stevens, North coast of Oregon
Style: Just like school in summertime
Gear: Delta Kites and LF Kitefish QuadMod
Snowboard (Cambered and Rockered)
Foil kites on the snow
Brand Affiliation: NONE F--- the corporate world

Postby Matteo V » Mon Dec 23, 2019 1:55 am

edt wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 12:12 am
The reason people like step one or flows is because they snow kite like they water kite. First they launch their kite then they grab their board and struggle to get into their bindings with the kite over head. If this is how you kite then flows or stepins are for you.
DEAD ON! I have seen used and used lots of bindings and observed the techniques that go with each system. I even have a pair of Flow "Freeballer(?)s" backless bindings. Regular "flip up" Flows are great for getting into standing and without fuss, as you can ride carefully for a short distance with the highbacks down. Then you can sit and lever them up. Or if you use foil kites, you just do everything with the kite braked in the back of the window. Then you can sit down to launch the kite or use the front lines to launch while still standing.

The biggest draw back of flows is how hard they are to get on when in deep snow from a sitting position. It is hard to get to the highbacks, and you always pack a ton of snow up against the boot back.

To me, I would assume the big problem with step in bindings is how positively they lock on. The biggest danger with any snowboard binding system is having one foot secured and the other unsecured, then the kite launches unexpectedly.

The other problem with step in bindings is that all of the support comes from a super stiff boot. I own at least 7 pairs of snowboard boots. I have 2 pairs of the super cheapest Chinese knockoffs boots that are the only ones that are comfortable to kite in. They are extremely flexible, and I only like them for kiting, not when riding lifts. Then I own one pair of the cheapest Burton boots made, and they are tolerable for snowkiting. All of the mid-range price boots that I own are waaaayyyyy too stiff for kiting with.

My advice to aspiring snowboardkiters is that you should get the cheapest binding (so long as it is has the most flex), and the cheapest boot (so long as it is also flexible AND has a more upright leg angle).
These users thanked the author Matteo V for the post:
Anthonyshopguy (Mon Dec 23, 2019 4:40 pm)

Greenturtle
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Presque Isle, Erie PA
Gear: Turbine 19, Flite 14.5, 12, 10, Rally 7
Tons of boards for water, land, and snow

Postby Greenturtle » Mon Dec 23, 2019 6:34 am

Soft boots are what I like for kiting as well, and laced pretty loose towards the top. It is true its difficult to find step in boots that are soft, but not impossible. k2 at one time made high back click in bindings and softer boots to go with them. I use those softer boots with their older simple plate backless step in bindings and it’s ok, not perfect but works better for me than anything else ive tried.
I like the ability to get out of those bindings fast and simultaneously if/when the shit hits the fan.
Snowkiting often involves unpredictable shifty gusty crap wind quality creating some self launching and landing scenarios that are pretty hairy.
As far as getting board on before or after launch, kinda depends on circumstances, I wouldn’t advocate picking just one option there.

dice
Medium Poster
Style: Freeride
Gear: Hadlow ID

Postby dice » Mon Dec 23, 2019 6:53 am

Most important issue with step in boots are how they work with lot of snow packed to the bottom of your sole.
And are they reliable when you have hard landings? There is a reason pro's don't use step in boots.
Unless these burtons are way better than flows, once rented the flows and they were good for freeriding but I wouldn't trust them on big jumps.

rleshem
Medium Poster
Has thanked: 0

Postby rleshem » Mon Dec 23, 2019 4:46 pm

I have the step ons but don’t snow kite.
I think they are really good but you do not to be standing in order to click and in. So much easier than other bindings - no need to seat or bend down.
If you get them make sure to get the photon boots. The lower end rulers are too soft and they hurt my ankle bone.

Anthonyshopguy
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Grandmesa CO
Favorite Beaches: Lake Arena CR, Cocoa Beach FL, Ivanpah CA, Lake Meredith Tx, lake Huron Mi, Metro Park MI ** 6 Mile on lake Mohave NV.
Style: Snow kiting, buggy, water
Gear: 21m Flysurfer Soul, 17m LEI Cabrinha Contra, 15m LEI Slingshot Turbine, 13m Waroo LEI, 11 m foil Frenzy Ozone, 11m Lei Escape PL, 9m Lei Nemesis Best, 7m Lei Waroo, 6m foil apex HQ, 174 SB for the Pow, 169 split SB for the outback, Cabrinha 154 twin tip for the lake, 600 switchback Polaris to get me there, and why not add in a nice new big foot buggy for that once a year buggy blast at Ivanpah.

Postby Anthonyshopguy » Mon Dec 23, 2019 5:14 pm

Wow I'm going to sing the same tune. And Mateo love (ragdoll) great expression! The first time I launched my 21 m I had not gotten in my bindings first. After 15 minutes of struggle and several 😄rag dolls I had a friend take it down and then straped and then connected. Much better. Now I don't climb mountains with my kite and if I ever get to that point I might change my tune. Cheap worn out soft, lightly laced, boots are great. Bindings need to work well and I'm going to add one provision if you can find bindings were the buckle is very low profile or even glue some simple wood or foam blocks in front of the levers. The reason I'm saying this is last spring flying on a very wind shifty day the wind all of a sudden came out of a direction 30 degrees to what it had been. My 21 started to drop, then started to drift to orientate to the wind change. I had dropped down on the snow and waited for the kite to power back up. What I had failed to notice was my right leading edge line had slipped under the buckle on my right foot. The kite powered back up and all of a sudden I was being dragged across the snow with my board over my head. Releasing would have made things worse so I finally muscled up the line and managed to release it. Needless to say, a 100yd slide on your back is not good for your kidneys. No more said about that. As far as your Board the best you should do is keep it well waxed. And try to find one with less side cut not more. Less helps you to hold better in icy conditions. :thumb: :bye:
These users thanked the author Anthonyshopguy for the post:
Matteo V (Tue Dec 24, 2019 3:32 am)

Return to “Snow / Land”