Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Which Pansh kite for landboarding?

Postby foilholio » Fri Jan 10, 2020 3:11 am

I don't know about LEI flagging as well as foils. I have seen many pinwheeling and draggings with correctly flagged LEIs. I would say a fifth line is good on LEIs but so too it is good on foil kites. Foils may tangle but the consequences are mild. LEI holding it's shape is directly why they are at a disadvantage flagging. A flag has no rigidity.

Most of the Pansh kites seem fine with a front line safety.

Flobadobbob
Rare Poster
Local Beach: None I’m a landboarder
Favorite Beaches: Bigbury
Style: Cruising on my landboard
Gear: Flexifoil
Blade4 - 4m & 6.5m
Bullet 2.5m
Slingshot key HD 10m LEI
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Flobadobbob » Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:10 pm

Thanks Herman.
I am heading to Costa Calma in the canaries at the end of the month and intend to get some kitesurfing instruction in so will pursue some much needed LEI skills that hopefully I can transfer to my local site 👍🏼

Herman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: My Own.
Gear: SLE, foils and C kites, TTs, Directionals, Landboards, Buggy.

Postby Herman » Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:20 pm

Flobadobbob

Have a great time. If you can fly a blade in gusty conditions you will soon pick it up. If you can, get them to show you how to do a tethered launch, you will find it useful in your home circumstances. Have fun!!

Regards Herman

nothing2seehere
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 72
Local Beach: Calshot, Hayling, Meon - Southcoast UK
Gear: Duotone Rebel, Evo SLS, Flysurfer Soul/Peak, Ocean rodeo jester, Airush Ultra, shinn boards

Postby nothing2seehere » Fri Jan 10, 2020 1:18 pm

Flobadobbob wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 1:46 pm

Re using the LEI, I thought about using this but feel in my current location with the surrounding obstacles including a powerline pylon(outside the ground and further than the length of my lines) road and trees along the edge of the field i want something that will collapse if I lose control or get caught by a gust. An LEI would still hold its form when I become overpowered and thus may end up with extensive crashing and damaging the kite and little old me. Also I tend to be a solo rider nipping out after work to grab an hour or more and don’t feel confident in self launching and landing. But I am interested in your comments and if I find a suitable location to try it I will 👍🏼

Anymore thoughts welcome guys 😊
Be generous with your search for flat ground as the UK is nearly always gusty inland. I tried a spot on top of a hill once as it theoretically had 10 miles of uninterrupted upwind but even that was still as gusty (okay not as bad but still not great) as large sports fields at ground level. For reference my local is about 8-10 football pitches in size. It only works in a couple of directions because even single storey high trees and buildings (the clubhouse) create enough of a wind shadow to make things awkward.

Herman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: My Own.
Gear: SLE, foils and C kites, TTs, Directionals, Landboards, Buggy.

Postby Herman » Fri Jan 10, 2020 2:14 pm

^ +1 for the aabove, quality of wind makes a huge difference. I would also stress that you should not believe all the re-ride videos imho Until you have shed loads of experience, if you flag out a powered kite start a fresh with a new launch and a new line/bridle check. If you just pull the flag line back through and reset the chicken loop the risk of a bridle tangles is too high for land use imho. This applies to both foil and LEI.

Regards Herman.

Flobadobbob
Rare Poster
Local Beach: None I’m a landboarder
Favorite Beaches: Bigbury
Style: Cruising on my landboard
Gear: Flexifoil
Blade4 - 4m & 6.5m
Bullet 2.5m
Slingshot key HD 10m LEI
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Flobadobbob » Fri Jan 10, 2020 3:53 pm

Re nothing2seehere

Sounds like you fly at a similar type of spot to me 😎. The single story clubhouse on my site causes massive gusts as you approach it and depart from it. Then a lovely dead spot between them. You’ve either got to fly close and high to the club house and risk gusty conditions or fly as far away from the clubhouse as possible and risk collision with trees and a possibly a pylon to ensure you get past it. 🤯

slide
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Weight: 75kg,now a bit less
Local Beach: Brancaster Norfolk 46 miles- just need a hard beach
Favorite Beaches: mablephorpe , cleephorpes uk-just need a hard beach
Style: landboarding with a petzl work harness
Gear: old blades and old flysurfer's , ckb/dex carbon landboards, modified airdeck and a home made snow board with barrel wheels ,soul's , spd5's. over 30ish old blades all set up to go ,i like a bit of old skool

Postby slide » Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:03 am

if i were you and money is an issue , i'd go for a second hand flysurfer , thats what i did for several years , untill i could afford new

you say you flew 4 and 6.5 blades ,blade4 i take it , did you fly in a roller setup in a harness with a strop across your toplines , if not i'd give that a go first and get use to flying in a harness , if you fly handles with out a harness it doesn't tend to last long , because you will not hold on to the power like you can when you fly in a harness
when i taught my soninlaw to fly , i put in a harness from the word go , stake the kite , connect up with a roller on a harness , and before you launch, walk round 3 or 4 steps every step will take some power out -never take off downwind , and thats how i taught dean
, and he was riding a landboard in 2 weeks with good power and leaning back and getting air really quickly flying old blades

slide
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Weight: 75kg,now a bit less
Local Beach: Brancaster Norfolk 46 miles- just need a hard beach
Favorite Beaches: mablephorpe , cleephorpes uk-just need a hard beach
Style: landboarding with a petzl work harness
Gear: old blades and old flysurfer's , ckb/dex carbon landboards, modified airdeck and a home made snow board with barrel wheels ,soul's , spd5's. over 30ish old blades all set up to go ,i like a bit of old skool

Postby slide » Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:10 am

i think its important to learn to jump with fixed bridle first , or at least certainly a really good way to learn , you will be far more proficient at the idea of getting air and then getting a safe soft landing , and you will understand the process better

Return to “Snow / Land”