Bullet 2.5m
Slingshot key HD 10m LEI
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Which Pansh kite for landboarding?

Postby Flobadobbob » Wed Jan 08, 2020 7:51 pm

Hi All.

This a my 1st post and I am hoping you guys could advise me on a Depower kite purchase to be used for Kite Landboarding and this begin my path from cruising to some safe airtime. I’ve seen other posts regarding this query but none fit my situation.

My budget is slim so I’m looking at the PANSH kite range. Living in central UK I’ve been kiteboarding for approx 5years mainly On a local large flat grass inland training ground that is affected by gusty dirty air due to the low buildings and trees that surround the site. My current quiver includes Flexifoil 2.5m bullet, 4m & 6.5m blade all flown on handles in 10- 20mph winds. I also purchased a 2010 10m slingshot key LEI that I intended to use on water as my family live on the coast. But that unfortunately has just been collecting dust. The slingshot came with a 55cm bar and 4 lines and a seated harness of which I intend using to fly the new kite.

So what do I consider? I’m 6ft, 13 1/2 stone and enjoying my midlife crisis.

I’ve been looking at new PANSH Genesis and Aurora kites around 8m in size. I feel going larger could be overpowering at my current level. I note the difference in aspect ratio between the kites and wondered how this effects the flight of the kite. I also note the kites come with 5 lines and my slingshot key bar That I intend to use has only 4.

I’d be interested in your thoughts and advice but please no ‘I would buy a 2nd hand fly surfer etc etc.’ As the PANSH are all new and in stock and I don’t have to scour the inter web in the hope of finding one and finding a good one.

Many thanks in advance :bye:

norcom
Very Frequent Poster
Style: waves
Gear: Too much to list these days. Currently mostly a v3 Cabo's and Spleene Zone fan

Re: Which PANSH kite for landboarding?

Postby norcom » Wed Jan 08, 2020 8:39 pm

I was there, I bet a lot of people have thought about Pansh. The price of these kites always looked soooo good! I mean how bad could they be, right? :lol: So I decided to try the smaller, cheaper model, the Pansh Genesis 3m. Maybe I could use it for teaching? This kite didn't fly correctly right out of the bag. Kept thinking about tuning it but then ended up with a few Peak4's and just didn't care anymore. The Pansh build quality is much better than I expected, if only they could make them fly where I'm not wondering WTF's happening!? Don't expect any support from the company, if you return the kite they'll never sell you another one (as stated by them to me). Like I would buy another one of their kites. I wouldn't piss on that company if it was on fire. But I read a few similar comments as the one I'm writing now. That is right before I bought mine and thought "maybe it's not that bad?" :lol: Good luck!

collider
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Plumb
Gear: Arcs/Foils

Re: Which Pansh kite for landboarding?

Postby collider » Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:43 pm

Hey there. Like norcom, I also thought a lot about Pansh, and did a ton of looking around the web, but in the end I found exactly what you don't want to hear... A couple Speed 3s for less than the Pansh's would have cost. I did end up with a couple Flux's however, great FB kites. Like my Bullets a lot more though.
I would not be looking at Aurora for your conditions. The folks that fly those here wrap them into knots every time there's the slightest hint of a gust. Genesis would be similar to an Apex or Access (but not the same bridle quality). You might think about A15, I think that was the Speed 3 copy. A couple friends fly those on bugs and love them.
Have you tried any of the PL Arcs? My all time favorite kite for landboard is Phantom 1 12m, they eat gusts for lunch, float well and point upwind well. Auto zenith is awesome for taking breaks. If you want a little more punch, Phantom 2 or Charger 2 or 3. They aren't hard to find in good condition, particularly in England.

Herman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: My Own.
Gear: SLE, foils and C kites, TTs, Directionals, Landboards, Buggy.

Postby Herman » Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:06 am

No such thing as safe airtime in my book especially inland and gusty. You can get floaty jumps with 12 to 15m kite in 10 to 18 knots at your size. Technique for 8m jumping will be more critical. Higher AR will give more lift and float but maybe less gust tolerance when riding.

Have you considered using your 10m LEI and saving your money for a bigger foil? That would seem to be a better option to me. Or is there a reason you do not want to use an LEI?

Personally I prefer LEI up to 9m and foils 10m upwards but that is just my taste! However, I used to regularly use 10 and 14m LEi before I bought foils.

Either way good luck with your choice!

Regards Herman

Ps The 10m LEI will probably be easier to handle than the 6.5m blade once you are used to it!
Last edited by Herman on Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:39 am, edited 3 times in total.

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils

Postby foilholio » Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:16 am

The A15 is not even remotely a copy of the speed3 or any other kite, it is it's own design and a good one.

Jumping on land is less safe with small kites. I have second thoughts about jumping Pansh kites on land, though I have done it. They have some blatant weak points like the A main. If you beef that up you will be a lot safer. I wouldn't necessarily say a second hand kite from say Flysurfer or Ozone is safer than a NEW Pansh because they may not be, but if I was jumping on land I would be on a new kite and probably from Flysurfer. The risk is too high to me.

nothing2seehere
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 72
Local Beach: Calshot, Hayling, Meon - Southcoast UK
Gear: Duotone Rebel, Evo SLS, Flysurfer Soul/Peak, Ocean rodeo jester, Airush Ultra, shinn boards

Postby nothing2seehere » Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:58 am

Any specific reasons you don't want to use an LEI on land? I use my LEI's because the conditions are gusty and cheap LEIs often handle gusty conditions better than cheap foil kites (they keep shape better).

For the price of a Pansh there are buckets of decent second hand kites on kitebay. Go for something fairly flat and you should have a decent rig?

Also for reference. At 78kg, I'm generally on either a 12m or 9m LEI (though I only landboard up to about 20 knots). Don't go too small with an LEI, the smaller you go the more you have to work the kite which makes progression more difficult.

Tomlutz
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2018
Weight: 83
Local Beach: Switzerland
Gear: TT, Foil Moses Onda, Soul 8, Pansh Genesis, Concept Air Pulsion 18m, Kauper XT Falocn 11 and 13

Postby Tomlutz » Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:31 am

Flobadobbob wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 7:51 pm

I’d be interested in your thoughts and advice but please no ‘I would buy a 2nd hand fly surfer etc etc.’ As the PANSH are all new and in stock and I don’t have to scour the inter web in the hope of finding one and finding a good one.

Many thanks in advance :bye:
I have 5m Genesis and 15m A15. I am totally satisfied, they are good kites for my needs: the 5m Genesis for teaching my kids and strong winds. The Genesis is really one of the safest kites I have: absolutely stable, does not lift you up (downside: no jumping possible), no overflying, develops forces evenly and predictable. It has saved me some strong wind sessions on snow and I love it.

The A15 is also very stable, but may overflow you and has more lift, if you want to jump. Also a good kite, in some areas the A15 is even better than a Soul for me (foiling).

I am even thinking about buying a 8m Genesis now for Snow Kiting in medium strong winds. As a beginner I don't want to get lifted near mountain peaks or in areas with stones or in gusty conditions, so much safer than A15.

I have also briefly flown a 8m Blaze, but with a wrong bar and I did not feel safe. Collapsed in gusty winds. And from the videos I have seen I would not by an Aurora: not stable enough (we almost always have gusty conditions, so stability is my most wanted feature).

Hope this helps.

Herman
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Herman » Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:34 am

Nothingtoseehere makes some good points and I understand where he is coming from when he says don't go too small. However, I use LEIs as small as 4m on occasions but I won't be trying to progress my jumping with a small kite, but there are plenty of other things to work on.

Having a big kite that you don't need to move much for air and riding a smaller kite which you have to work is almost like two different landboard sports imho. Both are fun in their own way!

Flobadobbob
Rare Poster
Local Beach: None I’m a landboarder
Favorite Beaches: Bigbury
Style: Cruising on my landboard
Gear: Flexifoil
Blade4 - 4m & 6.5m
Bullet 2.5m
Slingshot key HD 10m LEI
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Flobadobbob » Thu Jan 09, 2020 1:46 pm

Wow lots of replies and info to take in thanks for all your replies guys 👍🏼. Though some Conflicting views also to consider.

I am wondering now if I should be considering 2 kites one around 6-8m to get used to flying a depower on a bar to practice on and for cruising which will also give my arms a rest and another larger kite later on to progress to jumps / use in lower wind conditions. The smaller kite would also assist in building confidence up by starting to do small jumps for say transversing rather than sliding and stopping transitions.

Re using the LEI, I thought about using this but feel in my current location with the surrounding obstacles including a powerline pylon(outside the ground and further than the length of my lines) road and trees along the edge of the field i want something that will collapse if I lose control or get caught by a gust. An LEI would still hold its form when I become overpowered and thus may end up with extensive crashing and damaging the kite and little old me. Also I tend to be a solo rider nipping out after work to grab an hour or more and don’t feel confident in self launching and landing. But I am interested in your comments and if I find a suitable location to try it I will 👍🏼

Anymore thoughts welcome guys 😊

Herman
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Herman » Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:31 pm

Flagging out depowerable foils is no better than flagging out LEIs, in fact the flagging of a foil is generally riskier because you can get weird bridle tangles imho. Flagging out either will never be as fast as just letting handles go, you just have to train yourself to allow for this. LEI holding it shape is, basically, irrelevant, and if any thing, an advantage. It will have less residual drag and come down quicker than most foils even though it does not lose shape.

Ideally, before you spend money try and get some time on the 10m Key. Flying the Key in 10 knots of wind in the middle of your field would not be dangerous if you can find somebody with the skills to show you how to launch land and cope with light wind backstall.

PS Modern foils flag out better than they used to by using a concertina system but this will require a fith line.

I do not wish to appear too negative towards your ideas, and so for balance, if I were to get a Pansh I would choose the A15 from what I have read.

The A15 has a centrally attached 5th line as opposed to a concertina system. I believe some have removed this and just use a 4 line bar with front line flagging. You will need to decide whether you will be happy to stick to your 4 line bar or modify it to 5 lines!

Return to “Snow / Land”