tack on the snow

Forum for snow- and landkiters
RomeUtah
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Local Beach: Tropical beaches of UT, snow and sand
Favorite Beaches: Rufus, LB, Pismo
Style: straight air to tomohawk
Gear: Best, Ozone, OR, Cab, Flysurfer, Tona board, SS boards, Cab boards, liquid force foil
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: tack on the snow

Postby RomeUtah » Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:50 pm

thekitemonster wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 7:48 pm
fernmanus wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:08 pm
Perhaps, it is obvious to you what you are doing, but it would really help if you had someone else film you. I can’t tell what you are doing from the video. Thank you.
Kenny ask Jake to demonstrate a tack, he does these so smoothly and easily it's deceptive. You would have seen him do this countless times. It's a 180 into the wind. He gets a bit of air, or slightly weightless anyway. If your ever at Waddell check out the Caution guy Peter doing them near shore, he's another master. I have seen him do dozens of them but still can't process how it works enough to get it because he's doing it regular foot (I am goofy, and anything switch/toe-side sends me straight into panic mode and instant full face plant. Pretty sure it's a 180 back roll transition to toe side, (or a duck tack without switching the feet.)
Patrick does them really smoothly as well, he does them more of an air tack where its an upwind backroll transition. I keep trying them on the board but cant quiet get a grasp on moving the bar and lines across my body with propper line tension.

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 62 kg
Local Beach: France: St Laurent du Var, Cannes, Almanarre
Style: 62 kg , light wind, waves
Gear: Conceptair pulsion 18&15&12S, OR Flite 10m , Airush One 9&6, peak 5M , Rally 6, Elf 11 &7, 19m2 single skin proto.
foil Ketos, RCS Supreme, TBK Mana, snowskis, kite-boat

Postby Regis-de-giens » Sat Jan 16, 2021 7:38 pm

I'll try to film my feet or camera far aday from me.
In deep powder , the trick is to put most of your weight at the bagk of the skis to ease the rapid turn of the front of the skis.
if kite has enough speed , it hangs most of your weight which ease the turn and the effort on your legs

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Sat Jan 16, 2021 8:51 pm

Regis-de-giens wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 7:38 pm
I'll try to film my feet or camera far aday from me.
In deep powder , the trick is to put most of your weight at the bagk of the skis to ease the rapid turn of the front of the skis.
if kite has enough speed , it hangs most of your weight which ease the turn and the effort on your legs
That's not how I would describe it. I would say that it's like doing a jump turn on the moguls, where you never have your skis directly pointed directly downwind, or alternatively if you're doing a stem christie turn instead of doing a more typical 45 degree turn, you do closer to a 180 degree turn, the reason being that you never want your skis pointed directly at the kite because if you head with any speed towards your kite it loses power and falls out of the sky. But I'm not an expert skier so I could be wrong. That's with a gybe. With a tack you always have the skis in a good position. Looking forward to your new video.

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Conceptair pulsion 18&15&12S, OR Flite 10m , Airush One 9&6, peak 5M , Rally 6, Elf 11 &7, 19m2 single skin proto.

Postby Regis-de-giens » Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:44 pm

Sorry, i was speaking of tack upwind, not gibe downwind. During tack, if enough speed or hard snow, or rider weight on the back of the skis, skis can remain paralel with a proper timing.

Faaaar more beautiful vs gibe, because you turn your body around the depower rope, face facing the wind (like tack on hydrofoil, like a dancer)

kitexpert
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: many kites, also diy

Postby kitexpert » Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:23 pm

Tack track should look something like that. You must keep your edge firm and cut through it, not sliding. Faster and more powerful you can do it better, then you get big upwind circles.

LEI kite 8 or 9m is perhaps easiest because it reacts and flies pretty fast, but you do tacks with any kite I guess. I do tacks almost always with a loop, it pulls you out of it and also untwist lines. During the tack you should lean quite strongly inside, sometimes your back almost touches the ground.

Herman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: My Own.
Gear: SLE, foils and C kites, TTs, Directionals, Landboards, Buggy.

Postby Herman » Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:28 am

If you want to avoid the need for a loop and stay close to the wind try pulling fairly hard with the old backhand immediately after the kite crosses Z.

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Regis-de-giens » Mon Jan 18, 2021 8:52 pm

kitexpert wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:23 pm

Tack track should look something like that. You must keep your edge firm and cut through it, not sliding. Faster and more powerful you can do it better, then you get big upwind circles.
Isn't it a 360 instead on your picture ? because to me you should never cross again your tracks with a tack (facing the wind); which is why it is efficient ;

To me : loop or not loop : everything works ; a LEI or low ration foil kite is more naturally looped (less lift and more agility) while a race foil kite is more prone to no loop (high lift and a bit too slow and powerful in loops, so you may loose too much downwind while the kite does its loooong loop ; but again it is fun and great to do both , whatever the kite type; both are different and pleasant.

For those who are not expert: do not believe it is technical or frightening : it is really rewarding and fun, even if you may gently fall the 2-3 first time you will try, but no painful fall; you can train on the beach or snow without skis , by just do the trick static with low wind (send the kite at the opposite window to change its direction and when it crosses the zenith just turn your body and head under the bar (behind the depower rope) at the same time; very reassuring to get your brain used to the move. Then turn the bar 360 degree to uncross your lines if no loops

kitexpert
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: many kites, also diy

Postby kitexpert » Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:52 pm

Yes those are 360's but it is not that relevant how you continue after passing the critical point of turn. Main thing is to go high upwind and keep up the speed as good as possible. If you change your direction of course you don't cross your tracks.

I agree upwind turns make snow kiting more interesting and fun, to jibe is quite lame. Good practice is to do either tacks or transition jumps when direction changes.

Return to “Snow / Land”