Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Back to Back Days in the Beartooths

Forum for snow- and landkiters
Noahpz
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Big mtn snowkiting w/ lots of freestyle
Gear: Ozone Hyperlink V3 - 7,9,11,13. Ozone Chrono EXP 15m.
Brand Affiliation: Ozone
Has thanked: 0

Back to Back Days in the Beartooths

Postby Noahpz » Sun Jun 14, 2020 5:33 am

The Beartooth Mountains offer a unique opportunity every May and June: Access! As the Beartooth Highway is plowed and groomed for summer tourists, snowkite access becomes very easy. The Beartooth Highway offers park-n-ride snowkiting in the biggest alpine plateau in the USA.

My access from Bozeman to the Beartooths is through nearby Yellowstone National Park. Driving though the Park is always fun: Animals everywhere!

Ascending to the Beartooth Plateau, I arrive at the switchbacks, just below the Beartooth Highway’s west summit. Here, I was greeted with fast, carvable snow, smooth 15-20 mph wind, and a feeling of remote isolation high in the northern Rockies. Both days I flew my 13m Ozone Kites Hyperlink V2 and enjoyed a freedom that resonates deep within every kiter’s soul.

Making lap after lap in the fast snow, boosting silky smooth weight-less flights, carving countless slow-mo turns down the line, could the feeling be any better?

Lots of melting has taken place in the two weeks since I was last here and all of the snowfields are considerably smaller or have melted out completely to alpine tundra. The wildflowers are beginning to pop.

#ozonekites #smithoptics #voilemfg #mysteryranch #snowkiting #snowkite
Attachments
IMG_0570.jpg
IMG_0551.jpg
G0035530.jpg
G0026256.jpg
G0026036.jpg
G0025805.jpg
G0025301.jpg
G0015108.jpg
G0014976.jpg
These users thanked the author Noahpz for the post:
Breze (Sun Jun 14, 2020 6:43 am)
Rating: 3.03%

jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Gear: More wing than kite
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Back to Back Days in the Beartooths

Postby jakemoore » Sun Jun 14, 2020 6:09 pm

I'm sitting here in South Texas and my air conditioner has gone out. I'm still waiting on a quote to replace it. Its so hot I have no choice but to sit up every hour at night and exclaim "Boy! I'm so sweaty!" These photos of snow kiting might just be my only reprieve from the heat. Do you get reliable winds for snow kite May June? I've tried a few times to hook up a snow kite trip but have been reliably skunked.

Noahpz
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Big mtn snowkiting w/ lots of freestyle
Gear: Ozone Hyperlink V3 - 7,9,11,13. Ozone Chrono EXP 15m.
Brand Affiliation: Ozone
Has thanked: 0

Re: Back to Back Days in the Beartooths

Postby Noahpz » Mon Jun 15, 2020 6:17 am

"Skunked" is not part of my vocabulary. Sure, there are periods of high pressure that shut down the zonal W-E winter wind flow. For those periods we have a spot: https://ozonekites.com/pl/news/article/ ... ot-springs. But for May and June, kiting becomes tactical. I'm looking for freezing nights, and W, SW + access.

Return to “Snow / Land”