Style: Twintip & hydrofoil
Gear: Naish Pivots 6m, 7m, 9m
Naish Boxer 12m
Ozone Chrono V4 13m
Brand Affiliation: None

Ozone Access 12m vs Ozone Explore 12m

Postby dave1986 » Sun Jul 19, 2020 9:27 am

Hi all,

I'm looking for a depowerable foil kite for my Dad to use in light winds on a buggy. He's a competent beginner/ low intermediate kiter, but needs a kite that will be forgiving and inspire confidence (that's why I've ruled out other more high-performance kites). He will be using the kite only on a buggy in relatively smooth winds at a large beach.

I'm thinking that either the Ozone Access V7 12m or the Ozone Explore V1 12m (single skin) will be good options.

I'm aware that the Ozone Explore is an Ultralight kite so it will fly in lower winds.... I'm mostly looking to understand the differences in how these 2 kites will perform in 6knots+? How will their wind range compare? Any major performance differences?

Any info would be appreciated.

Hardwater Kiter
Frequent Poster
Style: Rough and tumble
Gear: Ram air and single skin Foil kites. Long skis to truck, short skis to huck.
Brand Affiliation: www.hardwaterkiter.com Authorized retailers of Flysurfer. Ozone, HQ kites and Gin kites.

Re: Ozone Access 12m vs Ozone Explore 12m

Postby Hardwater Kiter » Mon Nov 02, 2020 6:42 pm

dave1986 wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 9:27 am
Hi all,

I'm looking for a depowerable foil kite for my Dad to use in light winds on a buggy. He's a competent beginner/ low intermediate kiter, but needs a kite that will be forgiving and inspire confidence (that's why I've ruled out other more high-performance kites). He will be using the kite only on a buggy in relatively smooth winds at a large beach.

I'm thinking that either the Ozone Access V7 12m or the Ozone Explore V1 12m (single skin) will be good options.

I'm aware that the Ozone Explore is an Ultralight kite so it will fly in lower winds.... I'm mostly looking to understand the differences in how these 2 kites will perform in 6knots+? How will their wind range compare? Any major performance differences?

Any info would be appreciated.

In a nutshell...

Single skins have a broader wind range than a dual skin kite. They are not as smooth in the air as a dual skin. They are more crashworthy as they have no cells to blow out. They generate more power per size. They handle gusts well but need to be actively managed.

Dual skins are generally better in gusty conditions requiring minimal active gust handling from the rider. They have narrower wind ranges than single skins. Nicer, smoother flight qualities. Less susceptible to sudden wind shifts and rotors.

A 12m Explore is a much better lightwind wing than a 12m Access. The 12m Access is a Clydesdale kite, for heavier riders or riders looking to ride borderline OP. It is not a lightwind kite.

Return to “Snow / Land”