Full Body Harness for SnowKiting

Forum for snow- and landkiters
RomeUtah
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Local Beach: Tropical beaches of UT, snow and sand
Favorite Beaches: Rufus, LB, Pismo
Style: straight air to tomohawk
Gear: Best, Ozone, OR, Cab, Flysurfer, Tona board, SS boards, Cab boards, liquid force foil
Brand Affiliation: None

Full Body Harness for SnowKiting

Postby RomeUtah » Wed Oct 07, 2020 5:14 pm

Anyone use full body harness like a tree climbing harness for snow kiting, mostly gliding? Currently using a climbing harness rigged with a waist harness and a beaner running through the chicken loop, c loop, and hook. When on skis, the boys get cramped with the leg loops, on snowboard works well but a pain in the ass put together . I want something clean, easy to put on, comfortable when gliding for a couple of minutes at a time, and proper back support as i get out of my waist harness.

Da Yoda
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Style: Strapless Freestyle, Wave, Freeride
Gear: Handmade Surfboards

Re: Full Body Harness for SnowKiting

Postby Da Yoda » Wed Nov 11, 2020 10:45 pm

RomeUtah wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 5:14 pm
I want something clean, easy to put on, comfortable when gliding for a couple of minutes at a time, and proper back support as i get out of my waist harness.
Have you considered using a dedicated snowkite harness? Ozone has two versions, one with a metal hook and one with a webbing loop. They seem to match your listed criteria above almost perfectly. The nice thing is you can eliminate the need for two harnesses. Some do prefer a backup harness for added safety when gliding. If that's concern for you, use an ultralight ski touring harness as a backup. My personal favorite is Edelrid's Loopo Light touring harness. The leg loops detach making it easy to put on with a snowboard.
https://ozonekites.com/products/harness ... ct-pro-v2/
https://ozonekites.com/products/harness ... ountry-v2/

Dave_5280
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1997
Weight: 78 kg
Favorite Beaches: Kanaha Beach Park, Maui, Hawaii, U.S.
Style: Freeride
Gear: Switchblades, Contras, CF Raptor TT. Ozone Frenzy foil kites with skis. Fixed bridle foil kites on handles with MBS landboard. Progression Sports videos.

Postby Dave_5280 » Thu Nov 12, 2020 5:39 am

I’ve always been very comfortable with my Ozone snowkite harness and would highly recommend it. It is really easy to get down low with to hold an edge.

lederhosen
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Weight: 80kg
Gear: Flysurfer Sonic4 12m
Kitech FRS 9m
Peak4 3m
Peak5 4m, 6m, 8m

Zeeko Spitfire Xlw, Xxlw
Eleveight Process 135

Postby lederhosen » Thu Nov 12, 2020 9:07 am

Dave_5280 wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 5:39 am
I’ve always been very comfortable with my Ozone snowkite harness and would highly recommend it. It is really easy to get down low with to hold an edge.
I ride switch a lot, especially on soft snow where snowboards without rear are so much easier. Thats when a climbing harness gets uncomfortable and the ozone harness looks interesting.
Is it possible to attach a rope spreader to an ozone snowkite harness?
Have you hiked up wearing the harnes with a normal backpack, does the waist part bother you under the backpack?

Dave_5280
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Switchblades, Contras, CF Raptor TT. Ozone Frenzy foil kites with skis. Fixed bridle foil kites on handles with MBS landboard. Progression Sports videos.

Postby Dave_5280 » Thu Nov 12, 2020 2:21 pm

What a great idea to use a rope slider! It looks like a rope could be attached to each side. Mines an older version and seems to work fine when kite is flying off to the side and I’m on skis so I don’t get to face it. The harness must be sliding or shifting around. I would try it without the slider first. I like using one of those carabiners that has the wheel in it.

I wear the Ozone backpack and never felt contact with the harness and it is easy to put on so you could put it on at the end of the hike.

I want to try the harness on the water kitesurfing to see how it feels after seeing Jeff Howard at kiteboarding.com use it.

fernmanus
Very Frequent Poster

Postby fernmanus » Mon Nov 16, 2020 6:51 am

I use the Petzl Sequoia work harness. I have had the same harness for 10 years. It is very comfortable for gliding. Another local kiter has a newer model and he also has the chest harness. Just talk to Patrick about it the next time you are at Skyline.

It is a super beefy harness. The construction is far better than any kiting harness that I have seen. I would use it for park and ride, but for backcountry exploration, I would use something lighter like a standard climbing harness. The Petzl is great for long hours wearing the harness and gliding. A more economical option that is slightly less comfortable is the Metolius Waldo.
These users thanked the author fernmanus for the post (total 2):
Dave_5280 (Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:07 am) • RomeUtah (Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:16 am)
Rating: 6.06%

Dave_5280
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Dave_5280 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:08 am

fernmanus wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 6:51 am
I use the Petzl Sequoia work harness. I have had the same harness for 10 years. It is very comfortable for gliding. Another local kiter has a newer model and he also has the chest harness. Just talk to Patrick about it the next time you are at Skyline.

It is a super beefy harness. The construction is far better than any kiting harness that I have seen. I would use it for park and ride, but for backcountry exploration, I would use something lighter like a standard climbing harness. The Petzl is great for long hours wearing the harness and gliding. A more economical option that is slightly less comfortable is the Metolius Waldo.
Looks like it might be this one? - https://www.petzl.com/US/en/Profession ... EQUOIA-SRT

Da Yoda
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Style: Strapless Freestyle, Wave, Freeride
Gear: Handmade Surfboards

Postby Da Yoda » Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:20 pm

Dave_5280 wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:08 am
Looks like it might be this one? - https://www.petzl.com/US/en/Profession ... EQUOIA-SRT
Another one to check out would be New Tribe's Tengu harness. I like the simple and clean design (much like Ozone's). It's everything you need for snowkiting, without being overkill like most "arbor" climbing harnesses.
https://newtribe.com/store/index.php?ma ... bqktsom1o2

irwe
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Keswick
Favorite Beaches: Choche
South Padre Island
Silver Rock
Bahia Salinas
Style: Allaround
Gear: Ocean Rodeo
Slingshot
Spleen
Axis
Best
Shinn
TKF
ConceptAir
Zeeko

Postby irwe » Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:37 am

You also have to put the Mystic Foil Seat Harness on the list.
It has the BOA System on the back were you can dial in the amount of support you want.
I got it originally because my Waist Harness was putting too much pressure on my Hernia before I got it repaired.
Now I favour the MFS over my Waist harnes for Foiling, Surfing, SnowKiting.
Attachments
MysticFoilSeat2.jpg
MysticFoilSeat2.jpg (27.76 KiB) Viewed 11507 times
MysticFoilSeat1.jpg
MysticFoilSeat1.jpg (27.36 KiB) Viewed 11507 times

Dave_5280
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Dave_5280 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:13 am

Good to see the BOA system cross over into kitesurfing, from winter sports like snowboard boots. They are a local Denver company and I asked them about a year ago to consider kiting applications like board bindings - seems way better than Velcro.

Return to “Snow / Land”