10m lines 15m Soul

Forum for snow- and landkiters
RomeUtah
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Local Beach: Tropical beaches of UT, snow and sand
Favorite Beaches: Rufus, LB, Pismo
Style: straight air to tomohawk
Gear: Best, Ozone, OR, Cab, Flysurfer, Tona board, SS boards, Cab boards, liquid force foil
Brand Affiliation: None

10m lines 15m Soul

Postby RomeUtah » Tue Nov 10, 2020 5:52 am

Anyone ever give a 15m foil kite a go with really short lines... focus is to glide and have really direct... really really direct control. any issues looping it up the hill. I want to set it up for gliding and riding in smaller fields

Herman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: My Own.
Gear: SLE, foils and C kites, TTs, Directionals, Landboards, Buggy.

Re: 10m lines 15m Soul

Postby Herman » Tue Nov 10, 2020 12:46 pm

Have not flown Souls but if you have 20m lines you could just double them to try it. Loads of leader pulled in on a boolgy loop might be possible but it is bound to be on the tight side. Back stalling starts might be needed. I would be interested to know the results if you try it.

PS tried 10m lines on a 10m LEI for landboarding and went back to 14m as I preferred the feel and extra room for loops.

joriws
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Flysurfer, HQ, Moses, Nobile, North, Ozone

Postby joriws » Tue Nov 10, 2020 1:03 pm

One local kiter here ordered kit from "flyingcloclo" for Speed3 21m which converted it more like a paraglider, he went uphill fast and glided nicely with that setup. Lines were something like 12m, so from there I'd say short lines is totally doable for Soul too with less span. System uses paragliding light harness for extra safety. Most probably this is the safest setup for gliding without actually using a paraglider.

Flyingcloclo's file which shows multilevel riser and handle steering:

Video of my friend:

Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island, Texas
Punta del Diablo, Urugay
Gear: Flysurfer, Moses, Groove, Gin

Postby Adventure Logs » Tue Nov 10, 2020 4:00 pm

joriws wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 1:03 pm
One local kiter here ordered kit from "flyingcloclo" for Speed3 21m which converted it more like a paraglider, he went uphill fast and glided nicely with that setup. Lines were something like 12m, so from there I'd say short lines is totally doable for Soul too with less span. System uses paragliding light harness for extra safety. Most probably this is the safest setup for gliding without actually using a paraglider.

Flyingcloclo's file which shows multilevel riser and handle steering:

Video of my friend:
Now that's a video I haven't seen for years! The ultimate toy, glide and kite on the water. I know Armin was working on one for years but I guess he was never able to perfect it. I'm still holding out that one day he will put something to market.

My only concern with lines that short is looping. I would most definitely have a longer bar(at least 65cm) but since the Soul is significantly faster turning than the Old Speed 3 was I think it's doable especially on snow. Only one way to find out so let us know. :D

=Jason-

RomeUtah
Medium Poster
Gear: Best, Ozone, OR, Cab, Flysurfer, Tona board, SS boards, Cab boards, liquid force foil

Postby RomeUtah » Tue Nov 10, 2020 6:48 pm

the videos are awesome but he basically turned it into a paraglider, I want to stay with the traditional control system (i can glide and am more comfortable with the bar and lines). So second day on snow this season, I have a 58cm bar from ss with throw an inch shorter than fs bars, don't see it as an issue, I will give 18m lines a go and see how direct the feeling is, depending how the loops go today, I may order some 14m lines and see how they do, I just dont want to blow a bunch of money on something that may or may not work, was hoping for first hand experience. Will keep all posted on the shenanigans

RomeUtah
Medium Poster

Postby RomeUtah » Sat Nov 14, 2020 9:10 pm

Update on the soul 15 on shorter lines and ss bar: after flying the soul on 18 lines, I belive that is as short I would go, you can loop the kite up hill, with a long (58cm) bar you have awesome control especially for gliding. I was able to swing the kite predictably and put myself in position to land every time from a glide facing backwards
These users thanked the author RomeUtah for the post:
irwe (Sun Nov 15, 2020 11:20 am)
Rating: 3.03%

jorg
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Toronto, ON
Style: Big Air
Gear: Ten Velox, XR, Ozone Edge

Postby jorg » Sat Nov 14, 2020 9:15 pm

Can you share some videos, please? what is the safest height to loop 15m?

RomeUtah wrote:
Sat Nov 14, 2020 9:10 pm
Update on the soul 15 on shorter lines and ss bar: after flying the soul on 18 lines, I belive that is as short I would go, you can loop the kite up hill, with a long (58cm) bar you have awesome control especially for gliding. I was able to swing the kite predictably and put myself in position to land every time from a glide facing backwards

RomeUtah
Medium Poster

Postby RomeUtah » Sat Nov 14, 2020 9:44 pm

The snow season has just started here in UT, I will try to get a video up, I have not cleanly looped the 15m yet, but, I would be weary of heli loops below 25 30 feet honestly. I loop the kite to get up the hill, to slow down or land i sign the kite and if I loop the kite its literally when im about to touch down at low winds. The problem for me is, I like to fly the kite between 20 and 30 knts on snow and the balls and bank account are just not big enough to loop the kite at 20 knts while high above the ground unless I have enough fluff below me to have a super soft crater landing. I have seen videos of the LOLO BSD and SKD dudes looping their big foils but I have not quiet figured out when they do it.
These users thanked the author RomeUtah for the post:
jorg (Sat Nov 14, 2020 11:38 pm)

fernmanus
Very Frequent Poster

Postby fernmanus » Mon Nov 16, 2020 6:08 am

Hey Rome,

You could probably go as short as 10m lines, but the wind would have to be cranking, so that you would not have to loop or sine the kite. I think your decision to not go shorter than 18m lines makes good sense.
I look forward to seeing you on the hill!
These users thanked the author fernmanus for the post:
RomeUtah (Thu Nov 26, 2020 6:45 pm)

joriws
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Flysurfer, HQ, Moses, Nobile, North, Ozone

Postby joriws » Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:17 am

RomeUtah wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 6:48 pm
the videos are awesome but he basically turned it into a paraglider, I want to stay with the traditional control system (i can glide and am more comfortable with the bar and lines).
That's exactly what he did, for gliding the safest option, and also quite direct steering. Combination of kiting and speed flying. People are using speed flying wings to get up too, and those are like 5m risers or something, but yeah that takes loops away. But I think flyingcloclo had some swivel to rotate between kiting position and flying position.

Return to “Snow / Land”