ScottN
Rare Poster
Style: Snow kite
Gear: Ozone
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: Snowkite harness options?

Postby ScottN » Tue Dec 01, 2020 4:35 pm

I use the Black Diamond Big Gun harness. It is pretty comfortable and has decent padding. I've had it for a while and it is holding up well.

mmclimbhigh
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2016
Local Beach: MiraMaui
Style: Snowkite, h2o, and windsurf
Gear: Ozone Subzero, Frenzy
Eleveight RS
Brand Affiliation: Liquid Solar

Postby mmclimbhigh » Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:22 pm

I have to agree with JTKiter.... a climbing harness just doesn’t work well for me (or my wife). I like the spreader bar. She currently uses an old DaKine seat harness, but it packs with snow and can get pretty wet. Thanks for the info on the Mystic setup. I’ll look into that. Cheers everyone. Be safe and stay well.

MM

RomeUtah
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Local Beach: Tropical beaches of UT, snow and sand
Favorite Beaches: Rufus, LB, Pismo
Style: straight air to tomohawk
Gear: Best, Ozone, OR, Cab, Flysurfer, Tona board, SS boards, Cab boards, liquid force foil

Postby RomeUtah » Wed Dec 02, 2020 4:45 am

has anyone sown a kite waist harness to a climbing harness... or is it better to just grab the ozone harness? Im going to roll with a full body climbing harness this year but I fly with a mystic warrior 3 and arcteryx or bd harness depending what i forget to throw in the trunk of the car

JTKiter
Medium Poster
Gear: gear

Postby JTKiter » Sat Dec 26, 2020 12:51 am

RomeUtah wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 4:45 am
has anyone sown a kite waist harness to a climbing harness... or is it better to just grab the ozone harness? Im going to roll with a full body climbing harness this year but I fly with a mystic warrior 3 and arcteryx or bd harness depending what i forget to throw in the trunk of the car
That's a good idea. Alternatively, I cut up a cheap climbing harness and use the waist section of it under my Connect Pro for gliding sessions. It's not bulky or in the way. Honestly, I think there is almost zero chance the hook will fail on the spreader bar of Connect Pro (especially a new one) but why not. As discussed elsewhere, snapping a control line in flight is the scary possibility......

xfact
Rare Poster

Postby xfact » Sat Dec 26, 2020 7:11 am

I use this one: https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/climbing- ... mc=8359998

I found out, that the novice climbing harnesses, have way more padding that the expert ones, where weight and climbing comfort is very important.

Further, this one, has a hard link between the waist and legs supports. This does not allow the harness to “squeeze” together ( waist and legs parts) under load. Pardon my English. Not a native speaker :)
Happy Christmas!!

Matteo V
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Matteo V » Sat Dec 26, 2020 5:53 pm

If you have the money and need a hook, go Ozone. They have made the best in snowkite harnesses for years. I have one 2009ish Ozone SB that the hook bent out too much to use any more. I have three more with good hooks, and one of the newer blue harnesses. I use all of these as loaners or for instruction on land or snow.

For personal use on the snow, I use Mammut "Ophir" climbing harnesses. I have one pretty worn out, but repaired, and one that is new that I would trust for gliding. I have modified both with extra leg loop padding, and removed the connection loop from the waist to the leg part (belay loop). I put 2 non locking straight gate (not wire gate) caribiners in place of that loop, side by side, and put the CL in both.

My main reason for not using the Ozone harnesses myself is the expense. Secondarily, I like keeping my Ozone harnesses for loan out because they are one size fits all, and more comfortable than any climbing harness I have ever used. Climbing harnesses seem to be much more dependent on size for comfort. And while the "Ophir" is not as comfortable as the Ozones, it makes more sense for me to put up with them given their cost of only $45 on sale.

Anthonyshopguy
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Grandmesa CO
Favorite Beaches: Ivanpah CA, Metro Park MI, 6 Mile on lake Mohave NV. Daulpin island Al
Style: Snow kiting, buggy, water
Gear: 21m Flysurfer Soul, 17m LEI Cabrinha Contra, 13m Waroo LEI, 11 m foil Frenzy Ozone, 11m Lei Escape PL, 9m Lei Nemesis Best, 7m Lei Waroo, 6m foil apex HQ, 174 SB for the Pow, 169 split SB for the outback, Cabrinha 154 twin tip for the lake, 600 switchback Polaris to get me there, and why not add in a nice new big foot buggy for that once a year buggy blast at Ivanpah.

Postby Anthonyshopguy » Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:11 pm

Here's my two cents I started kiting using a climbing harness worked okay and then I realized I had my Hobie cat trapeze harness. Extremely comfortable, very roomy completely sealed around the rear to keep snow out, works fantastic. I switched the bar from a hook to the proper hook for kiting. The Dakaine hook worked great, been using it ever since. It's getting really old I need a new one especially for gliding but I love the silly thing here's a link to the same kind of seat onlinehttps://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0065/7349/0245/products/5011_800x.jpg?v=1605068100

br44
Frequent Poster
Gear: LEIs, foils

Postby br44 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:19 am

Another option - Edelrid Huascaran. Bought one recently and used it for landboarding. Minimal padding but no discomfort when landboarding. Is much lighter and takes very little space compared to my Ozone Connect Pro.

The selling point for me: only 3 sizes, with lots of room for adjustment. Thus a good fit is nearly guaranteed without trying it first, and it can be used both for foiling in shorts and for snowkiting with a lot of clothes on. Not one size fits all, but close.
https://www.backcountry.com/edelrid-huascaran-harness

JTKiter
Medium Poster
Gear: gear

Postby JTKiter » Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:02 pm

Anthonyshopguy wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:11 pm
Here's my two cents I started kiting using a climbing harness worked okay and then I realized I had my Hobie cat trapeze harness. Extremely comfortable, very roomy completely sealed around the rear to keep snow out, works fantastic. I switched the bar from a hook to the proper hook for kiting. The Dakaine hook worked great, been using it ever since. It's getting really old I need a new one especially for gliding but I love the silly thing here's a link to the same kind of seat onlinehttps://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0065/7349/0245/products/5011_800x.jpg?v=1605068100
Thanks for that tip! I've thought about something like this for awhile. I searched "Hobie trapeze harness" and they're still available. Also another brand makes one.

I have two questions:
--how did you attach the shoulder straps coming down the front to the Dakine hook?
--do you trust the plastic buckles for gliding or do you wear a backup climbing harness underneath?

Thanks.

Anthonyshopguy
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Grandmesa CO
Favorite Beaches: Ivanpah CA, Metro Park MI, 6 Mile on lake Mohave NV. Daulpin island Al
Style: Snow kiting, buggy, water
Gear: 21m Flysurfer Soul, 17m LEI Cabrinha Contra, 13m Waroo LEI, 11 m foil Frenzy Ozone, 11m Lei Escape PL, 9m Lei Nemesis Best, 7m Lei Waroo, 6m foil apex HQ, 174 SB for the Pow, 169 split SB for the outback, Cabrinha 154 twin tip for the lake, 600 switchback Polaris to get me there, and why not add in a nice new big foot buggy for that once a year buggy blast at Ivanpah.

Postby Anthonyshopguy » Fri Jan 15, 2021 4:26 pm

I'm not that good at gliding yet and I do worry about the strength of the straps. The one I'm using is probably 40 years old and I have had to reinforce some areas where the stitching pulled out. If I ever get higher than 15 feet on a regular basis I'll beef up the existing straps. And yes the shoulder straps do go through the bar. I'll get a pic of it this afternoon and post it.

Return to “Snow / Land”