Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Hook Failure: has it ever happened?

Forum for snow- and landkiters
longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Master Baiter. Oracle of windsport.
Gear: 2 sets of Flysurfer VMGs 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 15, 18. Foilboards ( Masts 75 90 110 125 Wings 880 950 1100 1350 1750) all with Ronix Ones attached. Soon to retire to Wingfoiling.

Re: Hook Failure: has it ever happened?

Postby longwhitecloud » Thu Dec 03, 2020 11:08 am

Yes, i know someone who had their spreader bar hook brake off their spreader bar. They lived.... just.
These users thanked the author longwhitecloud for the post:
JTKiter (Thu Dec 03, 2020 1:40 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

dave1986
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Weight: 85kg
Local Beach: Llangennith
Style: Twintip & hydrofoil
Gear: Naish Pivots 6m, 7m, 9m
Naish Boxer 12m
Ozone Chrono V4 13m
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby dave1986 » Thu Dec 03, 2020 11:22 am

I've had 2 spreader bar hooks fail on me. They both failed through fatigue at the welded joint where the hook attached to the bar.
These users thanked the author dave1986 for the post:
JTKiter (Thu Dec 03, 2020 1:39 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

JTKiter
Medium Poster
Gear: gear

Postby JTKiter » Thu Dec 03, 2020 1:28 pm

joriws wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 10:51 am
On gliding you really should also attach leash to "suicide"-mode and to depower-rope directly, bypassing totally CL if that fails or accidentally open.

Also check leader lines yearly under the floaters for wear. And swap depower lines etc so try to have everything as new on start of season.
Yes, I take my short leash and clip it above the CL for gliding. In a CL or hook failure, the bar would go about 8 inches. I tested the leash by hanging on it in my harness so I know it will take my weight. Once I'm done gliding, I simply clip it back on flag line. If it's so windy or gusty that I might need to flag, I'd never be gliding anyway.

I use new bars/lines and check them frequently.

JTKiter
Medium Poster

Postby JTKiter » Thu Dec 03, 2020 1:32 pm

Good info from folks. Evidently harness hooks do break....
I'll keep this in mind as I fine-tune my gear for gliding.

I should say that I'm not interested in 1500 meter kind of gliding, more like "proximity" gliding. Snowkiting up the hill then flying down.

joriws
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Flysurfer, HQ, Moses, Nobile, North, Ozone

Postby joriws » Thu Dec 03, 2020 1:53 pm

JTKiter wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 1:32 pm
I should say that I'm not interested in 1500 meter kind of gliding, more like "proximity" gliding. Snowkiting up the hill then flying down.
Nice to read that you JTKiter has all aspects though off.. Safe gliding..

You could also consider speedriding/flying - although speedflying wings are not as easy to uphill as kites but they do still work, and safety factor is much higher with paragliding risers & harness..

This video is from Feb'2020 beginners course at Pallas Kiteweek event..

JTKiter
Medium Poster

Postby JTKiter » Thu Dec 03, 2020 2:25 pm

joriws wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 1:53 pm
JTKiter wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 1:32 pm
Nice to read that you JTKiter has all aspects though off.. Safe gliding..

You could also consider speedriding/flying - although speedflying wings are not as easy to uphill as kites but they do still work, and safety factor is much higher with paragliding risers & harness..

This video is from Feb'2020 beginners course at Pallas Kiteweek event..
Very cool, thanks. Speedflying looks awesome. I paraglide as well but have never tried mini-wings or speedflying wings.

The thing about snowkiting in gliding terrain is that it's fun even without the gliding. If the wind is not ideal, you're still having a ton of fun. Paragliding is either on or off. Usually off!

A big high aspect ratio foil kite works in a really wide range of wind speeds due to the de-power ability and trim line. Also can be flown dynamically to create lift with kite speed across the wind window etc. Amazing tool. Don't get me wrong, paragliding is cool but with a kite I feel much more involved in the process, let's say!

Matteo V
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Matteo V » Thu Dec 03, 2020 3:49 pm

JTKiter wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 2:25 pm
Don't get me wrong, paragliding is cool but with a kite I feel much more involved in the process, let's say!
Much more involved in the "kite gliding"? Or much more involved in that there are other things to do besides gliding?

JTKiter
Medium Poster

Postby JTKiter » Thu Dec 03, 2020 6:49 pm

Matteo V wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 3:49 pm
JTKiter wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 2:25 pm
Don't get me wrong, paragliding is cool but with a kite I feel much more involved in the process, let's say!
Much more involved in the "kite gliding"? Or much more involved in that there are other things to do besides gliding?
Well, both really. But mostly I was referring to the difference FOR ME between PG and kite-gliding. Of course there are super skilled PG pilots doing incredible things with high AR wings and they are definitely as "involved" as can be!

It's cool to me that I can use the same foil kite for water, snow, land (mtn board), "boot-boosting" down little hills etc.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Fri Dec 04, 2020 12:53 am

Had one hook snap right off, two break in one side, and three or four chicken loops snap.

Old Dakine hooks (their fault) and worn chicken loops (my fault) but if I was gliding, I’d be doing something more safety oriented that’s for sure

Return to “Snow / Land”