Hook Failure: has it ever happened?

Forum for snow- and landkiters
JTKiter
Medium Poster
Gear: gear
Brand Affiliation: None

Hook Failure: has it ever happened?

Postby JTKiter » Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:21 pm

Many snowkiters who are into gliding use a climbing harness under their waist harness or just use a climbing harness by itself. It's definitely a good idea but I'm curious if this is because there have been instances where the hook on a kiting harness has failed? I started gliding (low level) myself a couple of years ago and I'm trying to be as safe as possible....!

Isn't the chicken loop a weak link? They have been known to open accidentally, no? It seems also that snapping a control line is more likely than breaking a harness hook. I heard an interesting fact that the stress on control lines is greatest when you're fully on edge and loading the kite for boosting a big air. As in, more stress in that situation than when hanging under your kite while gliding.

Any thoughts or observations about safety for gliding are appreciated, too!

Thanks in advance.

Matteo V
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Hook Failure: has it ever happened?

Postby Matteo V » Thu Dec 03, 2020 12:38 am

My old Ozone snowkite harnesses did have some bent hooks indicating that they would bend more or eventually break.

Chicken loops break all the time, and are a less visible and more likely failure point.

To avoid a harness hook break, eliminating the hook is the best way. Climbing or arborist, or even backing up a standard kiteboarding harnesses with a climbing harness underneath, is a good idea.

But dont ignore the weak link, which is the chicken loop line.

SMJ
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2040
Gear: Cabrimha, Core, Flysurfer, Carved, Naish, Duotone, Ocean Rodeo, Slingshot, Liquid Force, Lift, Spleene, Mystic, ION.

Postby SMJ » Thu Dec 03, 2020 12:42 am

People typically wear a climbing harness to keep the waist harness from riding up - but still have a lot of mobility. I like to wear the Mystic Strappies for this purpose, unfortunately I think Mystic stopped making them. Pretty sure you can still find them at a few retailers.

Hugh2
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 180lb/82kg
Local Beach: Clinton Lake in East-Central Illinois
Favorite Beaches: Cape Hatteras and Cape Town (also sailing around the world, this season crossed the South Pacific)
Style: freeride
Gear: Cabrinha Nomad 5.5, Naish Pivot 6, 7, 9, 10 and 11, Duotone Dice 12
Long Ocean 136, Eleveight Master C+ 136, Naish Global 6'0", RB Sixty 3 Matador 5' 8", Slingshot Hoverglide H5 foil and Alien Air 4' 6" and Converter boards

Postby Hugh2 » Thu Dec 03, 2020 1:54 am

I've broken the hook off a spreader bar and a chicken loop (plus had several release on me accidentally), albeit both really old and worn. Just one more reason I'm not interested in gliding. I would definitely only do it on really new gear.

Topaz
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 150
Local Beach: South Florida
Gear: Cabrinha / North-Duotone

Postby Topaz » Thu Dec 03, 2020 2:35 am

Climbing harness have been always been tested and designed only around safety. I don't glide, but if I did, I wouldn't do it with a kiting harness. Just for the piece of mind.

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m Slash, 10m Pivot, 10m Slash, 12m Pivot. Firewire Vadar, Duotone Profish, Crazyfly Raptor ltd

Postby matth » Thu Dec 03, 2020 3:32 am

I would use a closed hook, far less chance of breaking. NP Halo is one that comes to mind, Ion makes a new closed hook also I have seen advertised.. Pessonally I think gliding with a kite is asking for trouble...good luck.
These users thanked the author matth for the post:
nixmatters (Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:08 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

knot_moving
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Gear: kites: OR Flites & Cabrinha Velocity
Underground FLX 138, Slingshot foil, Mako Duke, Jimmy Lewis Flight Deck

Postby knot_moving » Thu Dec 03, 2020 5:50 am

I've wondered what extra safety steps gliders take. It looks incredible to try. Seemed like a climbing harness and doubling up on the lines would be first things. I guess just using a carabiner and ring instead of a chicken loop would make sense too - and replace the depower line if it has any sign of wear!!

drone
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Latvia's coast Beaches
Style: Freeride, foil, snow, ice.
Gear: FS, SS, LF, C, N, B.

Postby drone » Thu Dec 03, 2020 10:25 am

Go for climbing harness. In my kite life i have three broken harness hooks. Or at least make some back up rope, thru chicken loop.

joriws
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Flysurfer, HQ, Moses, Nobile, North, Ozone

Postby joriws » Thu Dec 03, 2020 10:51 am

On gliding you really should also attach leash to "suicide"-mode and to depower-rope directly, bypassing totally CL if that fails or accidentally open.

Also check leader lines yearly under the floaters for wear. And swap depower lines etc so try to have everything as new on start of season.

Climbing harness under the main harness is easy and cheap insurance on many KB-harness failures. You could also glide with climbing harness only as pointed out, but they might have unconvenient pressure points on load. Also real bigair gliding (like 1500m jump video) guys have parachutes with them.
These users thanked the author joriws for the post:
Anthonyshopguy (Sat Jan 16, 2021 7:45 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

evan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Local Beach: Brouwersdam
Style: Hydrofoil - Big Air
Gear: Infexion bars
Brand Affiliation: Infexion

Postby evan » Thu Dec 03, 2020 10:55 am

knot_moving wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 5:50 am
I've wondered what extra safety steps gliders take. It looks incredible to try. Seemed like a climbing harness and doubling up on the lines would be first things. I guess just using a carabiner and ring instead of a chicken loop would make sense too - and replace the depower line if it has any sign of wear!!
I know some use a carabiner on an extra thick rope that they clip above the quick release when gliding as a backup in case the hook or qr fails.

But they are still nuts to do it on kites instead of dedicated gliders....

Return to “Snow / Land”