Rayster
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Banff
Gear: 7m Hyperlink, 9m Chrono EXP, 15m Chrono EXP
Brand Affiliation: None

Bar length for multiple foil kite sizes on multi-days

Postby Rayster » Mon Jan 04, 2021 7:51 pm

Hi all. I'm trying to maximize transition efficiency on multi-day kite trips and varying wind throughout the day. I'd like to have one bar dedicated to a 50m line-set and one bar for a 25m line-set for quicker transitions. I have ozone Chrono exp 9m and 15m and they call for 45cm bar and 55cm bar respectively. Would a 50cm bar work to cover off both kites?

Thanks, first time poster so if I'm in the wrong section, please let me know.

Matteo V
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Bar length for multiple foil kite sizes on multi-days

Postby Matteo V » Tue Jan 05, 2021 12:10 am

Rayster wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 7:51 pm
Hi all. I'm trying to maximize transition efficiency on multi-day kite trips and varying wind throughout the day. I'd like to have one bar dedicated to a 50m line-set and one bar for a 25m line-set for quicker transitions. I have ozone Chrono exp 9m and 15m and they call for 45cm bar and 55cm bar respectively. Would a 50cm bar work to cover off both kites?

Thanks, first time poster so if I'm in the wrong section, please let me know.
Give us some more details about your location. And have you actually used a 50m lineset?

But my opinion is that once you get skilled and can feel the kite, you can use a bigger bar on a smaller kite. But you cannot use a smaller bar on a bigger kite. Go 55cm on both, but only if you are skilled.
These users thanked the author Matteo V for the post:
Rayster (Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:34 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

GDTRFB
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Style: snow
Gear: open and closed cell foils from 3m to 15M

Postby GDTRFB » Tue Jan 05, 2021 1:10 am

Hey Rayster....doesn't answer your question but wondering how you like the EXP? I like the idea of that performance with a 5th line kill...

Herman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: My Own.
Gear: SLE, foils and C kites, TTs, Directionals, Landboards, Buggy.

Postby Herman » Tue Jan 05, 2021 1:46 am

Don’t know but I would expect you would want an extra 5cm for a similar-ish feeling between a 25 and 50m line set. But that is pure guesswork as I tend to use much shorter line lengths in fact I don’t know anybody that uses 50m. Maybe the 50cm bar would be ok on the 15m on 50m if you are happy fishpolling. Don’t put much credence on this as I have not flown chronos. I think the 12m Reo I fly calls for a 50cm and I am perfectly happy using a 45cm bar with it. Personally I generally like to have smaller bars if possible - you can always grab a handful of leader and that would probably be easier on the 15m particularly given the time it will take to move on 50m lines.

Rayster
Rare Poster

Postby Rayster » Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:33 pm

Thanks for the responses, all good info. I also reached out to the EXP designer and he also suggested that going with a bigger bar would mean the 9m would be more sensitive and turn quicker so, as Matteo V said, more skill needed. So that's good confirmation to me that it's something to test. I just want to cut down on the transition time from going from a 50m to a 25m line-set so this is one idea I had as to how to do that. Yes I have flown with 50m lines - it's a way to squeeze a little more out of the kite in lighter winds. I have been trying to figure out the optimal kite choices for an arctic trip and decided to go with a 7m hyperlink V1, 9m chrono exp and 15m chrono exp. So that's a big jump from 9 to 15, but their wind ranges seem to just meet. The 50m line-set should help reduce any gap on the 9m and having lines already set on two bars will make the decision to spend the time to transition a little easier (and likewise in light winds the 50m line on the 15m gets me more distance on the day instead of having to haul a sled). Time to test, test, test. There's also the other added benefit of having two bars of the same length on a trip in case one breaks.

As far as the EXP goes, I've never flown a 4 line chrono so can't say I know the difference, but the chrono profile is super fast and efficient (compared to my frenzy's which are great workhorses). My #1 criteria is to have as safe as kite as possible, especially when I'm a long way from help and in variable terrain. So that 5th line is a game changer for me (I can get safety AND high performance). On a sled hauling trip I can say the EXP makes it so much less stressful when you want to stop for a break or some other reason. There's already a lot of shit going on with sleds and traces etc. I figure if I'm not racing (and I'm not a water kiter) having that extra line isn't a problem for me.
These users thanked the author Rayster for the post:
GDTRFB (Tue Jan 05, 2021 11:25 pm)

Herman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: My Own.
Gear: SLE, foils and C kites, TTs, Directionals, Landboards, Buggy.

Postby Herman » Wed Jan 06, 2021 12:25 am

If you are going to opt for the longer bar it might be worth checking that you can comfortably boolgy loop with it. (Pass the fishpoled bar around the centre lines as you loop so you can multi-loop without line twists.) I can do this ok with a 55cm bar but I have long arms and long bar throws for the applicable kites. Ignore if you don’t intend to use this technique.

55cm/50m and 50cm/25m might be the way to go. But there also bars which fairly easily adjust for length.
These users thanked the author Herman for the post:
Rayster (Wed Jan 06, 2021 5:59 am)

Rayster
Rare Poster

Postby Rayster » Thu Jan 07, 2021 1:24 am

FYI I just went out and tested the 9m with the 55cm bar and there doesn't appear to be any issue with performance. Nothing like testing the theories! Thanks again for all your help.

Return to “Snow / Land”