Medium Poster
Local Beach: East Beach South End UK
Favorite Beaches: East End, paracas, pacasmayo, guincho
Style: freestyle
Gear: Rrds obssesion shinn luigi
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Wing+mountainboard

Postby Gonzavala » Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:07 am

Thanks all for the answers, super useful.

SENDIT!
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Okaloosa Island
Favorite Beaches: In no particular order; Kailua Beach, Oahu; Lake Nitinaht, BC; OBX
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Flite 17 Aluula, North Reach 12, Ocean Rodeo Rise 10, Reach 9, Prodigy 7, Litewave Carbon Wing 165, Ocean Rodeo Mako 150, Poptart 139, Litewave Carbon Kick S 139, North Scoop/Sonar Surf Foil
Brand Affiliation: Mojo Actionsports

Re: Wing+mountainboard

Postby SENDIT! » Fri May 14, 2021 7:40 pm

foilfun wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 5:43 pm
I've logged many hours winging my mountain board in different conditions. (1) It's a lot more fun than it looks. (2) Thick grass sucks. (3) Use the softest rubber bushings you can find for fun carving on concrete, asphalt, dirt, and packed sand. (4) The power is much easier to control than a kite, but jumping is much harder to do.

The most fun I've had so far was a 10-15 mph onshore day during low tide. Carving was like riding powder snow. So much fun doing controlled slides. I rode up and down the beach for three hours straight on my 6m! 😁
Foilfun, what board/setup are you using? The sand on my beaches here is way too soft, so I’d have to do the same thing you did, riding the water’s edge at low tide. It seems like it would be fun. Also, are you riding it in parking lots, too?

foilfun
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Hefner, Oklahoma City
Favorite Beaches: SPI, Texas
Style: kite foiling, surfboard, winging
Gear: LP, DT, Cab, NP, Fanatic, Takuma

Re: Wing + mountainboard

Postby foilfun » Sat May 15, 2021 3:38 am

I use the MBS Core 95 with white bushings, and I use the DT 6, 5, 4 Unit wings. Riding parking lots and sidewalks works well when the wind is light. Enjoy! :D
These users thanked the author foilfun for the post:
SENDIT! (Mon May 17, 2021 7:54 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

RTL78901
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Weight: 141
Local Beach: Atlanta
Favorite Beaches: Various spots at our local lake. OBX and Jekyll Island
Gear: F one Rocket Air, Fanatic Aero 2000 foil, Naish S26 and slingshot wings, Peak 4 5m, Pansh Genesis 3m, 6m, Flexifoil kite buggy, Peter Lynn Kite Monohull kite boat, many self made traction kites including single skin NPW's, single skin foils, close cell foil kites, and my own designs. Various windsurf sails and Exocet RF81 and ISups.

Postby RTL78901 » Tue Jun 01, 2021 10:15 pm

One of the most fun days I've had so far this year was riding my wing and ATB on a hardpack beach. Windy side on winds. Hoping it works as well on pavement with my skateboard.

bragnouff
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: New Brighton
Gear: Boards: Alkita boards
Zeeko Slash/AirWave/Scrambler
Amundson Johno
Foils: Spitfire XLW/ XXLW. GoFoil NL130/160/190
Kites: FS Peaks
HB Legion
Wings:Zeeko Carve
HB Flair/Guide...
Brand Affiliation: GK enthusiast / Zeeko & HB Pimp

Postby bragnouff » Wed Jun 02, 2021 12:35 am

I like mountainboard and wing on hard sand at low tide, but it has to be a good 15kts before it comes alive. (versus 8-10kts on a kite)
On a longboard skateboard, on carpark it doesn't need as much to get going, that's the beauty of a skateboard, but after doing it a few times in light winds like 6-10kts, I actually prefer using a 4.5 windsurf rig. The weightless feeling of the wing doesn't really appear in those light conditions, and there's always a feeling of having to support the wing quite a lot during some phases, and of course at all times avoiding scraping a wing tip on the ground. A windsurf sail, on the other hand, even if it is overall heavier, is supported by the mast base, and there's always some kind of sturdy thing to balance against. Feels easier to pump, and it can also handle abuse much better. As an ex-windsurfer, it just feels better to me. In stronger winds, 10-15kts, sure the wing starts to feel more alive, more self-supported and nimble, but by then it's typically time to go on the water.

JSom
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2019
Weight: 185
Local Beach: Springfield
Gear: Looking for new equipment
Been thanked: 0

Postby JSom » Thu Jun 03, 2021 2:34 pm

For the absolute beginner, is a helmet that is designed for skiing suitable for kiting in the snow? I just recently bought an Odoland Ski Helmet and decided to get some personal gear because I love skiing. I hope that this outfit will come in handy not only for a standard holiday in the mountains.

irwe
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Keswick
Favorite Beaches: Choche
South Padre Island
Silver Rock
Bahia Salinas
Style: Allaround
Gear: Ocean Rodeo
Slingshot
Spleen
Axis
Best
Shinn
TKF
ConceptAir
Zeeko

Postby irwe » Fri Jun 04, 2021 9:56 am

JSom wrote:
Thu Jun 03, 2021 2:34 pm
For the absolute beginner, is a helmet that is designed for skiing suitable for kiting in the snow? I just recently bought an Odoland Ski Helmet and decided to get some personal gear because I love skiing. I hope that this outfit will come in handy not only for a standard holiday in the mountains.
Yes!

And include ski goggles as it is usually windy :)
These users thanked the author irwe for the post:
JSom (Wed Jun 09, 2021 1:03 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

JSom
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2019
Weight: 185
Local Beach: Springfield
Gear: Looking for new equipment

Postby JSom » Wed Jun 09, 2021 1:04 pm

irwe wrote:
Fri Jun 04, 2021 9:56 am
JSom wrote:
Thu Jun 03, 2021 2:34 pm
Yes!

And include ski goggles as it is usually windy :)
Thank you! It's great to hear that my ski gear will work for another sport as well!

Fielonator
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2022
Gear: Naish surfwing 5m
Mbs core mountainboard
Has thanked: 0

Postby Fielonator » Thu Feb 02, 2023 9:53 am

Bit of a bump for this thread instead of starting a new one. I'm just getting into wing boarding, and have just joined this forum.

I'm after some advice that will hopefully save me wasting time and effort. I live in south east England near Rochester and am lucky to have Camber Sands just over an hour drive away. I had a great afternoon this week when the tide was low and the wind was blowing around 15 knots (according to windguru). The wind was slightly across shore but worked well enough due to the size of beach. The problem I kept having was finding soft sand which pretty much stopped me in my tracks and once or twice sent me through the air a bit.

Can anyone offer any tips to better avoid these soft bits, and maybe some alternative locations in my area. I haven't got any mates who do this sort of thing so I'm exploring on my own at the moment. I plan to get out on the water at some point on my sup, maybe try foiling at some point, but for now I want to have as much fun riding up and down the beach as possible.

I'm using a Naish 5m Wingsurfer which I bought a couple of months ago, and an MBS mountainboard I've had for years. After some frustration getting stuck I let the tyres down a bit. This helped. Going in straight-ish lines was alright but trying to turn around in a nice arc always seemed to put me into a softer patch and I'd lose all my speed and stop. Still fun though. Any tips for avoiding soft sand or riding locations would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

Smeagle
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Weight: 88
Local Beach: Zwergern Walchensee, Ambach Starnberger See
Style: Freeride
Gear: Pansh A15 9m, 15m
Pansh Hawk 5m, 8m, 12m
Pansh Kestrel 12m
F-One Diablo V1 8m, V3 13m, 18m
Sky Country Hysper V2 8m, 14m

Cabrinha Switchblade 7m, 9m, 12m
Best TS 15m
JN MrF Air 10m

Spleene RIP39
Spleene Session 45

Gong KiteFoil Curve M-T / Fluid M-T / Fluid S-T / Catch FSP 2X 4'6"

Gong Wing SuperPower 2023 6m, 7,5m
Gong Wing Plus 4m, 5m
Gong WingFoil Fluid XXL-T XL-T L-T M-T, Stemax FLyFoil 6'3 135l, F2 Glide Cross 5'6 120l

Postby Smeagle » Thu Feb 02, 2023 12:09 pm

I use a Gong Droid 5m on land...

With mountain board on grass I need ~12 knots, its fun from ~15knots. Up to 25knots are not problem, if it get's more, closed to 30, the wing starts to "flap hard" when de-powered and PULLS. I still can ride powered, but difficult to control when stopping.

Same Wing on Asphalt using Curfboard I need ~7 knots to have fun. I can ride in less with active style, this can also be fun! Very different than landboard on grass, if there is not enough wind you just can't move at all, on asphalt you can kick or curf and ride on with low wind.

I also have a Gong SuperPower 7.5m - but the difference in low end is suprisingly small. Use the 5m most of the time.

- Oliver
These users thanked the author Smeagle for the post (total 2):
B-Roc (Thu Feb 02, 2023 6:08 pm) • PugetSoundKiter (Sat Feb 04, 2023 2:53 pm)
Rating: 6.06%

Return to “Snow / Land”