Medium Poster
Local Beach: East Beach South End UK
Favorite Beaches: East End, paracas, pacasmayo, guincho
Style: freestyle
Gear: Rrds obssesion shinn luigi
Brand Affiliation: None

Wing + mountainboard

Postby Gonzavala » Thu Jan 07, 2021 1:15 am

Hi, any experiences with wing+mountain board on grassy areas? Is it fun? What wing size works? I'm in lockdown far from the sea so looking for an alternative as the place I have in mind probably not ideal for kite.

Thanks!

Matteo V
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Wing+mountainboard

Postby Matteo V » Thu Jan 07, 2021 2:02 am

Gonzavala wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 1:15 am
Hi, any experiences with wing+mountain board on grassy areas? Is it fun? What wing size works? I'm in lockdown far from the sea so looking for an alternative as the place I have in mind probably not ideal for kite.

Thanks!
High wind is fun. Set up a ramp. Not much risk of hurting yourself compared to kite landboarding. Bout the same as riding a bike over the ramp.
These users thanked the author Matteo V for the post:
Gonzavala (Thu Jan 07, 2021 11:24 am)
Rating: 3.03%

Gonzavala
Medium Poster
Local Beach: East Beach South End UK
Favorite Beaches: East End, paracas, pacasmayo, guincho
Style: freestyle
Gear: Rrds obssesion shinn luigi

Postby Gonzavala » Thu Jan 07, 2021 11:26 am

Hi Matteo, hhmm that's what I was worrying, that strong wind will be needed. What are we talking about? 20 knots? Probably not something I'd get around here (south London) very often...

JTKiter
Medium Poster
Gear: gear

Postby JTKiter » Thu Jan 07, 2021 1:26 pm

As noted, unless the grass is short and the ground is smooth and firm, it takes a lot of wind to landboard with wing off-road. I've tried it several times in a spot where I kite with landboard easily and it takes way more wind to even move at all.
These users thanked the author JTKiter for the post:
Gonzavala (Thu Jan 07, 2021 3:27 pm)

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Thu Jan 07, 2021 3:01 pm

Gonzavala wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 11:26 am
Hi Matteo, hhmm that's what I was worrying, that strong wind will be needed. What are we talking about? 20 knots? Probably not something I'd get around here (south London) very often...
Yep, sounds about right, especially if it's nice lush lawn. A carpark would be better, and get the tires pumped up hard. I used to KiteWing with rollerblades in carparks and it still needed a reasonable amount of wind. It's not a light wind option IMO.
These users thanked the author Kamikuza for the post:
Gonzavala (Thu Jan 07, 2021 3:27 pm)

Herman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: My Own.
Gear: SLE, foils and C kites, TTs, Directionals, Landboards, Buggy.

Postby Herman » Thu Jan 07, 2021 4:14 pm

I don’t wing but do rig. For car parks with a good surface I prefer skateboard for tighter turning circle and probably better rolling resistance (unless you have particular MTB tyres.). Rough ground is just yucky!

salvino
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Eastern end of Lake Erie
Favorite Beaches: Barbados
Hatteras
Lakes Erie and Ontario
Gear: Stallion SB
Moses 633,590,500 HF
Temavento board
Grooveskate board
Airush Ultra, North Neo 5,7,9

Postby salvino » Thu Jan 07, 2021 4:44 pm

Surface resistance is key factor.

I’ve tried mountain board on grass and snow board on snow. Very particular for surface conditions to be smooth compared to using kite for sustained initial pull to get going.

Parking lot/asphalt with skate board is soooo much easier. Can have blast in 0-12mph as it takes only puffs of wind to stay moving.

I’m waiting for snow pack to smooth out for next snowboard session. Had 1-2feet powder on 30mph wind with 5m wing. Was horribly frustrating.

Matteo V
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Matteo V » Thu Jan 07, 2021 4:53 pm

Gonzavala wrote:
One of the things that made me decide to sell me kitewing was that it really only was fun in 25knot winds with skis on hard packed snow.

I mean you can use it in your situation with enough wind, but you will need a ramp or other special feature to have fun with it. I re read your original post and it seems that you dont already have a wing?

If you dont, then try a short lined kite (I quit kite landboarding because of too many injuries). But there are other things to do also.

The safest and most fun for me was longboard skateboard on a parking lot with a trainer kite or windsurf rig.
These users thanked the author Matteo V for the post:
Gonzavala (Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:41 am)

foilfun
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Hefner, Oklahoma City
Favorite Beaches: SPI, Texas
Style: kite foiling, surfboard, winging
Gear: LP, DT, Cab, NP, Fanatic, Takuma

Postby foilfun » Thu Jan 07, 2021 5:43 pm

I've logged many hours winging my mountain board in different conditions. (1) It's a lot more fun than it looks. (2) Thick grass sucks. (3) Use the softest rubber bushings you can find for fun carving on concrete, asphalt, dirt, and packed sand. (4) The power is much easier to control than a kite, but jumping is much harder to do.

The most fun I've had so far was a 10-15 mph onshore day during low tide. Carving was like riding powder snow. So much fun doing controlled slides. I rode up and down the beach for three hours straight on my 6m! 😁
These users thanked the author foilfun for the post (total 2):
Gonzavala (Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:42 am) • SENDIT! (Fri May 14, 2021 7:37 pm)
Rating: 6.06%

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Fri Jan 08, 2021 4:14 am

Matteo V wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 4:53 pm
Gonzavala wrote:
One of the things that made me decide to sell me kitewing was that it really only was fun in 25knot winds with skis on hard packed snow.

I mean you can use it in your situation with enough wind, but you will need a ramp or other special feature to have fun with it. I re read your original post and it seems that you dont already have a wing?

If you dont, then try a short lined kite (I quit kite landboarding because of too many injuries). But there are other things to do also.

The safest and most fun for me was longboard skateboard on a parking lot with a trainer kite or windsurf rig.
They're good for small spots you can't use a kite at...

Return to “Snow / Land”