Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Good time to stay in bed

Forum for snow- and landkiters
Herman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: My Own.
Gear: SLE, foils and C kites, TTs, Directionals, Landboards, Buggy.
Brand Affiliation: None

Good time to stay in bed

Postby Herman » Sun Jan 24, 2021 11:20 am

With a nice breeze forecast I planned an early landboard session but, unforcast rain put a dampener on it. It then went from 14 knots to over 30 knts, what a good decision to stay in bed.
Attachments
Screenshot_2021-01-24-10-02-51.png

Leon van Bergen
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2016
Local Beach: Wijk aan Zee, Netherlands
Gear: Duotone Rebel 7,9,11 SLS ‘23 | 14m Juice Dlab | Lieuwe Shotgun

Re: Good time to stay in bed

Postby Leon van Bergen » Sun Jan 24, 2021 2:37 pm

Huh ?

Hugh2
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 180lb/82kg
Local Beach: Clinton Lake in East-Central Illinois
Favorite Beaches: Cape Hatteras and Cape Town (also sailing around the world, this season crossed the South Pacific)
Style: freeride
Gear: Cabrinha Nomad 5.5, Naish Pivot 6, 7, 9, 10 and 11, Duotone Dice 12
Long Ocean 136, Eleveight Master C+ 136, Naish Global 6'0", RB Sixty 3 Matador 5' 8", Slingshot Hoverglide H5 foil and Alien Air 4' 6" and Converter boards

Postby Hugh2 » Sun Jan 24, 2021 2:59 pm

Saves on road rash and bandages, well done

Matteo V
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Matteo V » Sun Jan 24, 2021 3:53 pm

Hugh2 wrote:
Sun Jan 24, 2021 2:59 pm
Saves on road rash and bandages, well done
And broken ankles!

Typical with rain at most locations. Rain can cause down drafts, which have to be balanced by updrafts, and then you wreck gear, get hurt, or killed.

Congrats on saving yourself for at least one more session.

In the Midwest US, we have a dangerous weather setup that does not necessarily occur with precipitation. We call it "a shift to north". With forecasted south winds (typically SW, but also WSW, S, and SE), and a forecasted shift to moderate north winds, that shift often occurs violently and instantly. While it is only about a 1 in 10 chance that your location will be where the shift is dangerous, it will kill you if you get caught with a kite up in it.

The classic experience of this phenomenon is to feel the south wind begin to die to nothing. Then, about 15 to 30 min later, you hear a roar in the distance. In the driest parts of the summer, there will be a bit of dust moving high into the sky to the NW. Not but a few seconds after that you see the trees bend and shake on the other side of the lake. This is all going on while the lake is glass calm with not a breath of wind. Then the wind hits, and is often 30 to 50 knots.

It's the clost thing to a large explosion blast wave.

Herman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: My Own.
Gear: SLE, foils and C kites, TTs, Directionals, Landboards, Buggy.

Postby Herman » Sun Jan 24, 2021 5:45 pm

Being on the west coast of Wales we don't get too much unexpected weirdness compared to inland, the forecasts can be wrong or late/early but it usually fairly easy to see what's coming from the sky. Usually there is less than a handful of days per season where I choose not to ride because it is not possible to rig a small enough kite to stay reasonably safe and still have fun. Disturbingly it not uncommon to hear of somebody having an accident reasonably locally on these days. Being able to read and anticipate your local weather is pretty important in my book.

Storms at sea are impressive but the spookiest weather I have ever been in was on a lake in the middle of Europe just before a thunderstorm. Everything went dead still, then it seemed like a giant Zeppelin came over dropping small bombs of cold air and you could see circlar ripples where the lumps of cold air were hitting the water. The storm then arrived with lashing rain.

Anthonyshopguy
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Grandmesa CO
Favorite Beaches: Ivanpah CA, Metro Park MI, 6 Mile on lake Mohave NV. Daulpin island Al
Style: Snow kiting, buggy, water
Gear: 21m Flysurfer Soul, 17m LEI Cabrinha Contra, 13m Waroo LEI, 11 m foil Frenzy Ozone, 11m Lei Escape PL, 9m Lei Nemesis Best, 7m Lei Waroo, 6m foil apex HQ, 174 SB for the Pow, 169 split SB for the outback, Cabrinha 154 twin tip for the lake, 600 switchback Polaris to get me there, and why not add in a nice new big foot buggy for that once a year buggy blast at Ivanpah.

Postby Anthonyshopguy » Sun Jan 24, 2021 5:46 pm

Saw that happen one time. I was still sailboarding at that time. I had to drop the mast and wait it out for 45min finally some brave power boater came and got me out of my mess.

pixelicous
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Style: Freeride & Wave surfing
Gear: Cabhrina Switchblade 2018 9m
Cabhrina Ace Wood
Mystic Legend Harness
Brand Affiliation: SEAKOTA - https://www.seakota.com
Been thanked: 0

Postby pixelicous » Tue Jan 26, 2021 4:04 pm

Good on you.. i hate those days when i decide to go out anyway and i just lose a couple of hours in that process

Return to “Snow / Land”