Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Tether a kite on snow

Forum for snow- and landkiters
LissieS
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2019
Weight: 66
Gear: cabrinha switchblade 9m 2018, cabrinha contra 13m 2018, nobile split 2018, sabfoil moses 590-330 with a naish hover 130 foil board
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: Tether a kite on snow

Postby LissieS » Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:43 pm

bottles of water, although the concept of fittings seems to be quite convenient as well.
It's also a good idea to use an ice ax,
But if you just sprinkle it with snow, you can get a very funny video, although you will not be laughing
These users thanked the author LissieS for the post:
edt (Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:14 am)
Rating: 3.03%

Anthonyshopguy
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Grandmesa CO
Favorite Beaches: Ivanpah CA, Metro Park MI, 6 Mile on lake Mohave NV. Daulpin island Al
Style: Snow kiting, buggy, water
Gear: 21m Flysurfer Soul, 17m LEI Cabrinha Contra, 13m Waroo LEI, 11 m foil Frenzy Ozone, 11m Lei Escape PL, 9m Lei Nemesis Best, 7m Lei Waroo, 6m foil apex HQ, 174 SB for the Pow, 169 split SB for the outback, Cabrinha 154 twin tip for the lake, 600 switchback Polaris to get me there, and why not add in a nice new big foot buggy for that once a year buggy blast at Ivanpah.

Postby Anthonyshopguy » Sat Aug 21, 2021 4:57 pm

I kite in the Rocky mountains supposedly powder number one place. I use snow! I use snow on my tube on my foil. Nuking winds try to tie off to a tree or something like that. If you can, nuking winds are a different story. I've been out of touch for a while so just tossing in my $0.10

slide
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Weight: 75kg,now a bit less
Local Beach: Brancaster Norfolk 46 miles- just need a hard beach
Favorite Beaches: mablephorpe , cleephorpes uk-just need a hard beach
Style: landboarding with a petzl work harness
Gear: old blades and old flysurfer's , ckb/dex carbon landboards, modified airdeck and a home made snow board with barrel wheels ,soul's , spd5's. over 30ish old blades all set up to go ,i like a bit of old skool

Postby slide » Sat Aug 21, 2021 8:48 pm

i made a long stake out of stainless steel with a yellow balloon weight attached at the top with "please leave needed to land kite written in pental pen -you need to kick it in with ya heal -it works great in sand , but not sure in snow

JTKiter
Medium Poster
Gear: gear

Postby JTKiter » Mon Aug 23, 2021 2:38 am

I agree with Anthonyshopguy: putting snow on your kite is effective in almost every situation.
I've snowkited for many years, in many places, hundreds of sessions and I've never lost a kite or had anything happen while launching that would make a funny video.
(Plenty of funny crashes during the sessions!)

If your kite is still flapping around, well, you put some more snow on it. If the wind is like 30 knots then you might need a fixed anchor point.

joriws
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Flysurfer, HQ, Moses, Nobile, North, Ozone

Postby joriws » Mon Aug 23, 2021 5:42 am

I've never needed a tether (with a closed cell foilkite).

If foil kite flaps on groud, turn it a bit of TE facing wind angle and put snow also on the TE. Works also on sandy beach.

Also when taking snow to weight down the upwind tip, pull the folded tip to ditch you dug by taking the snow. This usually prevents in high winds sliding kite downwind. Low winds does not matter and even light frost snow keeps kite in place even on lake ice.

joriws
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Flysurfer, HQ, Moses, Nobile, North, Ozone

Postby joriws » Mon Aug 23, 2021 5:42 am

I've never needed a tether (with a closed cell foilkite).

If foil kite flaps on groud, turn it a bit of TE facing wind angle and put snow on TE. Works also on sandy beach.

Also when taking snow to weight down the upwind tip, pull the folded tip to ditch you dug by taking the snow. This usually prevents in high winds sliding kite downwind. Low winds does not matter and even light frost snow keeps kite in place even on lake ice.

Return to “Snow / Land”